Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Delph had a good game yesterday and the goal was good.

As for England, better than cleverly yes undeniably, good enough for England? not for me yet.

England aren't exactly blessed with talent at the moment. He wouldn't be a starter for England but I fail to see how he doesn't deserve a place based on this season's form?

As for England, better than cleverly yes undeniably, good enough for England? not for me yet.

England aren't exactly blessed with talent at the moment. He wouldn't be a starter for England but I fail to see how he doesn't deserve a place based on this season's form?

I think international refs wouldn't like his tackling and he would pick up more cards. I think he can run down blind alleys with ball and away from support. In the final third his decision making isn't always the best and can fail to make a pass.

Don't get me wrong he has vastly improved and right up there for our player of the season. But as yet I personally don't think he would cut it internationally. If he continues to improve then yes he could become an international

I think it's the fact that Cleverley regularly makes the squad that justifies the calls to have him in the national team.

I disagree. I don't think it makes much of a difference. Delph has been playing exceptionally well this season and that's the main reason why people are saying he should play for England.

I think international refs wouldn't like his tackling and he would pick up more cards. I think he can run down blind alleys with ball and away from support. In the final third his decision making isn't always the best and can fail to make a pass.

Don't get me wrong he has vastly improved and right up there for our player of the season. But as yet I personally don't think he would cut it internationally. If he continues to improve then yes he could become an international

But which English midfielders besides Carrick, Gerrard, Wilshere and Henderson deserve to be called up ahead of him?

Edited by Mantis

I think it's the fact that Cleverley regularly makes the squad that justifies the calls to have him in the national team.

I disagree. I don't think it makes much of a difference. Delph has been playing exceptionally well this season and that's the main reason why people are saying he should play for England.

But which English midfielders besides Carrick, Gerrard, Wilshere and Henderson deserve to be called up ahead of him?

For the World Cup, as England now play 433, then you are probably looking at a maximum of 7 mids so 3 more than the ones mentioned. I would have oxlaide chamberlain as one as he is growing into that position. I would still have Milner as he is an excellent squad player who can fill in all positions. I'd then say Lallana and Barkley would be fighting for the last position.

Players still get called up on name though. Carrick has been horrific this season, but because he's a regular and United player he'll still make the squad. Delph doesn't even get a look in for friendlies which is the annoying thing.

unfortunately heads get turned when these players get called up...I know you can't impede ambition, but if t happens it happens, if it don't it don't.

I have mixed feelings.

Yes arguably only Gerrard and Henderson are more deserving.

Delph IMO is at his best when played forward as an attacking midfielder. He can break forward, has good feet and is one of the few players we have that can beat his man. He has great awareness and is very much a "head up" player. Whether he is ready for an England place, I don't know, but as our overall team grows in confidence I feel the best is still to come from Delph. IMHO he needs to keep the ball closer as he has a tendency to push it a little too far ahead.

Good enough for a call up based on this season I'd say yes

But Gerrard Henderson Wilshere Lallana and Barkley are all better than him and play centrally so he wouldn't get a look in anyway

He's been great for us this year but for me he is not strong enough physically or comfortable enough on the ball to make it internationally

I really like Delph and could see him doing a job for England - maybe not every game but certainly against teams that clog up the midfield, Delph comes into his own with his pressing, tackling and driving forward abilities.

I think against a team such as Italy, he'd be a better option than say Henderson or even Wilshere (no point mentioning unCleverley)

Â