Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I've been out all day. Found out about him staying from someone's phone during the day but that's it. Do we know why the sudden reversal (besides the Mat Kendrick tweet above)? Seems very strange that all the media would go with it only for him to announce he's staying.

A conspiracy.
As DDID said, I'd like to know what conspiracy?

Useless suggested it was all a PR exercise by Villa. Well there was a 50/50 chance it was all planned by Villa I suppose.

Doesn't really make much sense to me. What does the club gain from it? It's not like he's signed a new contract or anything.

The club were powerless in all of this. Delph's contract last season helped the club massively, I think they will now also benefit from a show of faith, they certainly will not produce a HD video about his love for villa.

We benefit because we get to keep him when it looked like he was going but that's it. However, it seems a little strange to me that the club and Delph would purposefully leak it to the press that he's about to join City, to the extent that he's removed from social media, only to come out 24 hours later and reveal that he's not leaving. But no one is actually suggesting that are they?

If I had to put my money on anything it would be that he's just gotten a big pay rise but wouldn't we know if that was the case?

I've been out all day. Found out about him staying from someone's phone during the day but that's it. Do we know why the sudden reversal (besides the Mat Kendrick tweet above)? Seems very strange that all the media would go with it only for him to announce he's staying.

A conspiracy.
Useless suggested it was all a PR exercise by Villa. Well there was a 50/50 chance it was all planned by Villa I suppose.

Doesn't really make much sense to me. What does the club gain from it? It's not like he's signed a new contract or anything.

Of course not, there's no chance that is what happened. Well I suppose there is a 50/50 chance.

Maybe Delph was sent in as a spy to check on Man City by our new owners. The £8m clause didn't exist it was just used a trap give Delph an in to do his stuff and return home the hero.

Delph was rumbled before he got into the Etihad so it now looks like we have a mole, Richards and Sinclair are being interrogated as we speak.

I think that sounds much more plausible.

• Like 2

Just saw an interview with Ashley Westwood in Portugal saying as far as any of the players were aware he was never going anywhere. He spoke with them yesterday and said he wasnt going anywhere.

Also the Villa fan who spoke to him today. 

https://twitter.com/Jbuckers/status/619968418704420865

It was all bollocks invented by the press who are now desperately trying to save face by inventing a "U-Turn".

The club removing him from the social media accounts briefly? The fact that it took so long for him, the Club, or Even Man City to come out with a denial? Now the dust has settled would you really expect him to be telling some random fan that he was on the way? If Amavi doesn't sign for us now, will it also have been a load of media made up bollox with nothing in it from the beginning? Sorry not buying it for a second, if anything I think it may now be damage control on the part of the player, AND Avfc itself.

I have no doubt that Randy flying over changed something, which may have boosted both him and Benteke staying as they were both removed from our promotional material, then put back on again.

Except the club didn't bother to remove them from the official site at all.

We've genuinely no idea whether:

Delph took his time in considering his options (citeh's contract offer, first team chances, family happiness), whilst citeh arranged the medical and then Delph decided he's better off at Villa

OR

a journalist was fed some BS and decided to run with the story which was soon copied by his fellow cronies who didn't want to miss out on a major story. Before long one incorrect rumour became a FACT (it appears the word has to be in capitals ;) ).

I wouldn't rule out the first option but I've seen enough of the UK media not to rule out the second option either.

• Like 4

Maybe he heard about the interest, didn't necessarily want to move per se but thought he might as well hear them out, wasn't satisfied by what they were offering and decided to stay? As soon as the press got wind of him talking to City they assumed he'd join them for obvious reasons and got carried away with who would get the scoop first. Papers publish stuff straight away to get the scoop before their rivals all the time and take the heat if things don't turn out the way they expect. They can always blame it on 'things change' if it doesn't materialise.

I doubt there's any big conspiracy. He'd be mental not to at least hear what they were offering. Of course he's going to say he was never interested.

Anyways, who cares? He's said he's staying. Things may change in the near future if someone comes in and gives him an offer that's too good to turn down, but he'd look an even bigger tit after coming out twice and saying he's staying. Let's just enjoy the fact that for now he's sticking around.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

A conspiracy.

The mood of the fanbase is probably pretty high right now, despite our overall situation not looking exactly briliant. This whole thing just gave me a bit of Déjà vu from when Benteke signed his contract. And anyway I only said that It wouldn't surprise me if it was pr stunt. The club certainly knows how to play media.

The club certainly knows how to play media.

I'm pleased they do, although some would still claim the club hasn't got a clue in this respect.
I'm still not sure whether they do, I can't make up my mind whether this is planned and they are geniuses or so incompetent and just got lucky Delph changed his mind.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon that 75% of this was a load of media shite. We all know they love to jump on the bandwagon, to present news to whoever will read it, as soon as possible. They can't be a day late can they? So everyone picks up on the story, and it gets so out of hand it becomes 'truth'.

Delph came back early especially for training and the advertisement for the new kit, and his wife is expecting any time soon - obviously he'd want to be there so he's not gone to Portugal with the others - media spins that into something as well. I do think there was interest shown by City however. 

"A lie gets half way around the world before the truth has a chance to get it's pants on" - Winston Churchill. 

They shit the bed massively with this one. Also journalists have to appear credible otherwise people aint gunna read. There's a lot of saving face going on right now. Suppose only Delph and the club knows but either way I couldn't care less. He stayed. 

Also if this was a PR stunt, what would we get out of it? Suppose it's a better time than any to have the clubs name on headlines...

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 2

He obviously reads this forum

Or your missus offered to let him DHUTWU... ?

I've been on there forums for probably 5 years now and that acronym still makes me angry.

Never been allowed?

How about we stop all these conspiracy theories and just assume Delph

- wanted to stay when he signed the contact 6 months ago

- had the sell on clause added because it was his insurance policy for relegation or a change of heart

- had his head turned by Man City and the chance to win things, play in Europe and earn more money

BUT

- couldn't go through with it after thinking about the potential consequences for himself and his relationship with AVFC  

- called it off at last minute

Now if I were Villa I would see how the season is going and if all looks good offer him a new contract without the clause.

Stop this it happening again in 12 months after he is part of the winning European champions in France

• Like 1

Let's not just presume anything. And I think I'm the only one to put forward a possible conspiracy theory, and as I say I wasn't trying to argue it as a fact, just something that wouldn't surprise me. The main thing is is that it looks like he'll be playing for us next season.

The club certainly knows how to play media.

I'm pleased they do, although some would still claim the club hasn't got a clue in this respect.
I'm still not sure whether they do, I can't make up my mind whether this is planned and they are geniuses or so incompetent and just got lucky Delph changed his mind.

I was less concerned about the club's PR ability, more enjoying VT's ability to claim complete opposites. In this case, the club was both an embarrassment for announcing the major signing of Gueye in the shadow of Delph's departure and yet they certainly know how to play the media.:)

This whole idea that it's a PR stunt is pretty stupid anyway. All it would take would be for Man City to come out and say they were never interested in Delph and the whole thing would fall apart.

• Like 1

Â