Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Didn't Collymore say something very much like this scenario when Delph signed that new contract in january?

Sign new contract with a release clause and leave in the summer, but making sure Villa get some money.

To the people saying 'why such a low fee'.. you have to remember he was out of contract and leaving for free. At the time it was probably a 'sign this, get higher wages for 3 months, leave for a club wanting to buy you than just picking up a bargain, and we get 10m instead of nothing'.

I just hope delph isn't silly about this and looks at Sinclair, Rodwell.. even Milner struggled. Im sure Micah and Scotty can have words.

My worry is that if this clause is true, and even if he rejects city, name a club out there who won't think delph for 10m is worth it..

If it is 10m which I don't believe I have to say a another absolutely collosal stupid decision by the club why such a small fee?

In addition all that crap about being loyal, it's not loyal if you have inserted such a small release clause. I would not believe villa would push for this clause at such a small figure so must be Delph

But I don't believe it is that low that would make no sense

It would have been at that level at that time to reflect his playing performances, which were very average.

And at that time other clubs were not interested. I do not remember any offers.

When he signed I don't think there was an agreement that he could leave in the summer. If there was I doubt the club would have announced it and made such a big fuss of it, in the way they did. And then there was Fox with his comments saying that it was the equivalent of signing a £20M player. I'm pretty sure he intended to stay, but of course people can change their minds.

• Like 2

If this was true I think he'd have already moved by now, his agent would have informed every man and his dog of the clause, if city wanted him they'd have done their business and got him before he went on his holiday, give him a chance to move house etc before pre season

It makes perfect sense I guess. We had a player about to leave on a free who's said, I like it here and for the moment I'd like to stay, but I know that in doing so I'm costing myself a fortune - so in order to keep him (or to sign Fabian Delph on a free which is essentially what we did) we've said here's a contract, and if you ever become unhappy here then you have the ability to leave for a fee which makes it easy for you to go.

There's a lot of trust in that - the club trusting the player and the player putting trust in the club - it does tie in with the loyalty quotes the player made at the time - it's an interesting relationship, we've kept our captain and he's given up millions on the idea that he's happy here but if that changes then he can go easily.

Nothing wrong with the contract in my opinion and if he does go this summer then whoever got him to sign it can take some credit for having made the club £10m. If he doesn't, then whoever got him to sign it can take some credit in having signed a deal that shows a level of confidence and maturity in the way we deal with players - the sort of confidence and maturity that other players might like the look of.

That is only fine if you ignore the period between 2009 - 2013, we have given Delph far more than he is given us in return IMO - signing a new contract (without the release clause) was the bare minimum. I feel let down by the club.  :(

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Here comes the true test of his loyalty. Man City buy him for a cut down £10m giving the option of doubling (at least) his wages. Does he take the money to keep their bench warm, or stay as our captain, play every week and cement the England starting place that is beginning to look likely for Euro 2016??? Interesting few weeks coming up I think...

Edited by Fight Like Lions

Id like to hear from our captain on this.  I dont think it would be a lot to ask considering he is meant to represent us.

Personally he has the benifit of the doubt till anything happens. He deserves that.

• Like 2

If there is a 10 mill release clause, and it is a big if, then like others have suggested I would imagine it would be related to other clauses such as us being relegated.

I could see Delph simply signing the contact at the end of January with the 10 mill release clause if he was simply looking to earn himself an extra few quid over the coming months, protect himself in case of injury, and to ensure the club got something for him. However he didn't just sign the contract did he. There was a big deal made out of it and he said the following:

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am.

"I feel like this is me - I love the club, I love being here and I want to put 100% into everything I do here. This is my club and I want to be here. That's why I am committing my future.

"Hopefully it will give everyone a bit of a lift and show the fans that we are looking to do big things here and bring excitement back to the club.

"We want to get through this season, do well and I feel the up-and-coming years will be big.

"There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run.

"The fans have been the same. I am sure they will stick with us, help us get through this season and then looking into the future, it looks promising to me.

Those aren't the words of a man with one eye on jumping ship 4 months later. You have any doubts about staying long term you simply wouldn't say what he said. He didn't have to say what he said. He chose to. Had we have been relegated he may well have gone for 10 mill. Now for me there is not a chance.

• Like 2

10Million is too cheap contractual or not. Cannot believe some fans agree its ok to leave for 10m. I have never known any other player in the League go for cheap like this because of an agreement. He is still 15-20 million if he wants to go!!

Sorry but his loyalty considering what he said would be " why do i need a release clause especialy one so cheap "

not " put a 10 mill release clause so every club in the league can afford me "

Edited by Villan81

Sorry but his loyalty considering what he said would be " why do i need a release clause especialy one so cheap "

not " put a 10 mill release clause so every club in the league can afford me "

The only evidence this had happened is from James Nursey. The man who is insisted Westwood was out of favour and would be sold as soon as, whilst the lad was genuinely just injured. I think Westwood started every single game after that article came out.

Newspapers lie. They do it all the time. No point getting het up about it until something more substantial comes up.

Â