Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

It would be £10m more than we would have got had he not signed a new contract. I hope he stays and understands that his England place could be placed in doubt should he spend much of next season on the bench at a club that is looking to add English players just to make up the numbers.  

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I am not overly worried about this story in the Mirror. Firstly it may well be incorrect, certainly in terms of the figure and/or would be reliant on a Champ League club coming in for him.

However even if it is correct it is 10 mill more than we would have got for him had he have not signed his new deal a few months ago.

I think the ball is very much in the clubs court in terms of Delph. We need to show some ambition. To show that we will not be content to simply stay up and are now going to look to build a team to get us comfortably mid table next season and then over the next 2-3 years look to compete for a top 8 finish which are not unrealistic aims. If that is the case, and the club not only give Delph assurances verbally that will be the case but show him by the action taken in the transfer window, then I feel he will stay. The signing of Richards was of the ilk required to get us heading in the right direction but we will need another 4 or 5 of that level of proven quality.

If however the club aren't going to be showing any kind of ambition then I wouldn't blame Delph for leaving and will be thankful that by signing the contract it allowed us to get, if this article is to be believed, at least 10 mill for him.

For what its worth I think the first scenario will play out and he will stay with us.

Edited by markavfc40

This upsets me. I know he was due to leave on a free, but after the progress we made under Sherwood this was be a gigantic step backwards.

He'd only be signing for city for their HG quota as well. From captain and in the England setup to city's bench. Would be a very bad move for him, but I can't see him turning it down.

If its true or not i think James Nursey should be charged and banned from the club, Just like managers and players alike that are not allowed to tap up and blatantly unsettle other clubs players.

I think there should be a rule implemented that jurno's can not just write what ever they want about legally binding contractual details without the consent of the owning club. 

How would Nursey like it someone posted personal information about him and his family all over the internet about how much he earns, where his mrs works, the school his kids go to, along with the hotel they are all going to this summer.

You see James, its not a very nice thought all of a sudden is it.

Edited by Kingman

Eh no thanks I don't want a Newcastle situation here. He doesn't work for the club, he is entitled to write what he wants whether it's positive or negative. It's part of football and has been for many years, banning it because you don't like a story will never end well.

• Like 1

If it is 10m which I don't believe I have to say a another absolutely collosal stupid decision by the club why such a small fee?

In addition all that crap about being loyal, it's not loyal if you have inserted such a small release clause. I would not believe villa would push for this clause at such a small figure so must be Delph

But I don't believe it is that low that would make no sense

"I'm proving that there still is loyalty in football. I've decided to stay here and I'll give nothing less than 100 per cent every game."

Don't go back on your word now, Mr Delph!

If he leaves after saying that, he's going to look terrible. Like when Barry said he would only leave for CL and at the time City weren't. For this reason alone I don't think he would leave.

Until confirmed by the club or player I'm calling BS. Like others I've got to believe after all the hype, the way it was release/announced at the game when he signed the deal that the clause if any was only if we got relegated.

hope he sticks to his word.our best CM and if there was a 10 mill clause that wouldnt be enough to replace him and i wouldnt be looking at our midfield with confidence

also Delph cost us 7.5 mill.bout 2/3 seasons was injured and we absolutely stuck by him..so how is a 10 mill clause helping us..if it was a loyalty thing to get us some money then the clause should of been higher due to the length time on the injury table pickin up wages after his 7.5 mill move

Edited by Villan81

If its true or not i think James Nursey should be charged and banned from the club, Just like managers and players alike that are not allowed to tap up and blatantly unsettle other clubs players.

I think there should be a rule implemented that jurno's can not just write what ever they want about legally binding contractual details without the consent of the owning club. 

How would Nursey like it someone posted personal information about him and his family all over the internet about how much he earns, where his mrs works, the school his kids go to, along with the hotel they are all going to this summer.

You see James, its not a very nice thought all of a sudden is it.

Another day, another article by James Nursey putting the boot into Villa.

He never ever writes anything positive ever about Villa. To actually use the words 'Delph's likely exit' is just scandalous journalism in the extreme. That is based on what? He has pointed out, and we don't know if its true, that there is £10m buy out clause so somehow that morphs into his 'likely exit'. Much as I rate Delph I think Man City are obsessed with marque signings and he is not that at the moment.

Personally I would be very surprised if he went to Man City. I'm sure Scott Sinclair can fully explain what it's like at Man City or even Milner who took something like three years to be taken seriously as a first team player. As for Fabian I'm sure being signed to make up a quota of home grown players must have him pole vaulting round the room.

Some say if he was to go then you have to question the ambition of the club. What is the clubs ambition???? Somebody answer it!!!

For me the ambition is to retain premiership status long term. We have flirted with relegation for 3-4 years and that is not good enough for a club of this size, but let's not kid ourselves forest, Leeds to name but 2 who are equally big clubs in history who have never been able to get back into the premier league. I k ow they have had financial issues and touch wood that never happens to us, but let's face facts, we are probably in the bottom 6 clubs in the league at the min and we are not gonna go from 17th to 6th over night, small baby steps. We are still up for sale and as of yet no confirmed buyer, we hear talk of exclusivity and due diligence but this is all talk at present. So we are still under the custodianship of Randy Lerner who and probably rightly so is not willing to invest vast amounts of cash if there is to be no return when he sells, so for all we know sherwood could of been told that in order to buy the calibre of player he wants he will have to sell arguably our best assets if that means selling them for 35-40 million then so be it, who are we kidding can we offer them European football in the next couple of seasons, NO! Can we offer them the chance to win trophies, arguably NO, our only realistic hope is the league cup. These are 2 players In their primes who want to win trophies who are both internationals, and all we can offer them is guaranteed football and for players of that quality that just isn't good enough. So if clubs want to activate their clauses and they want to go then I say good luck to them because no matter what happens we are still ASTON VILLA and hear the lion roar!!!!

Â