Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

This was my main criticism of Delph -

Driving run forward

Extravagant triple step over that fails to fool the defender.

Hurried 40 yard pass straight back to Guzan.

How many of these before we realise Delph's not a game winner?

Delph's still not a game winner (although he doesn't need to be): 0 chances created in 3 games played.

However, something different about his passing in those three games: 57% time he passed forward and he managed an 80% accuracy against tough opposition. Stats.

Last year Delph had high passing accuracy but was passing backwards about 55% time. If he continues to pass forwards he is more likely to create chances.

His dribbling is more successful now, making just under 4 successful dribbles a match.

Add this to his 4 interceptions per match, 3 successful tacklers per match Delph is an incredibly dynamic player in our midfield. Without Delph we would have been much less competitive for those opening games.

If he keeps that up, not only will he get a new contract, he will be impossible to ignore for England (we don't have a true defensive midfielder) and there might be bigger clubs trying to nick him off us cheap, before he signs a new contract.

• Like 2

How long did you have to wait around after the game for the player's to come out?   ;)

Not for long actually! Met a lot of players after nearly 30 minutes after the game! Most of them in their cars. I´m from Sweden and this was my first time going to a Villa match so I stayed for a long time and mainly because I wanted to see Delph. He came out last after talking to Sturridges brother as far as I saw it. Then just before he stepped towards his car I shouted his name and asked him to come over. He asked the guards to open the gates and came to me as I talked to him about the match, also took some pictures and everything! 

Delph made my 7 hour journey worth it! A very nice guy!

EDIT: It was an hour after the game! KEA and Bennett were the only players leaving the dressing rooms after 30 minutes!

Delph's face looks like you asked him what he thought of the man-of-the-match award!

• Like 1

I said after the Chelsea game that if Delph continues this type of form he should be considered for England in the near future, then Con told me that I was wrong... Now he's saying exactly the same thing I said?

Good old Con.

• Like 1

I said after the Chelsea game that if Delph continues this type of form he should be considered for England in the near future, then Con told me that I was wrong... Now he's saying exactly the same thing I said?

Good old Con.

I've not quoted you in any posts after the Chelsea game. You either have invented a memory or are confusing me with someone else.

I actually said in my first post after the Chelsea game (22 August 7:59 PM)

"He offers more than enough as an interceptor, tackler, dribbler to warrant a place in the England side let alone the Villa team (on current form)."

I was actually promoting Delph for England back on 11th May.

"He's not yet there but we could be discussing whether to take Cleverley or Delph to the Brazil World Cup."

Edited by Con

Â