Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

What do you mean? I can still use google apps, google sheets, samsung apps on my iphone. I can connect it to me car via cable or bluetooth.

I have several pairs cheap wireless earbuds that work perfectly.

Do android handsets offer apple pay? 

Where do you get the apps from? There’s only one place

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

What do you mean? I can still use google apps, google sheets, samsung apps on my iphone. I can connect it to me car via cable or bluetooth.

Oh and the reason you can do a lot of those things is because the EU have been slapping Apple with anti trust lawsuits for years. The latest incarnation of the iPhone has a USB type C connection not a lightning connector for example. Direct result of EU action already. You couldn’t pay for or receive emails from Spotify on an Apple device, again that only stopped with an EU lawsuit and a billion plus euro fine

The usb-c thing is a great step forward, I thought it was to reduce waste by commonising the connection across all brands. Apple seemed to have fought hardest but eventually caved in.

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

The usb-c thing is a great step forward, I thought it was to reduce waste by commonising the connection across all brands. Apple seemed to have fought hardest but eventually caved in.

Apple was forcing people to have their own proprietary connection. That’s a monopoly regardless because even third parties producing a lightning connector would have had to pay to use Apple’s patent (in theory)

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, you can use all those apps, but they're hobbled. Apple previously asserted (and won) in court saying that you don't need an App, you can just have a mobile web page, then no need to pay Apple the 30% App Store tax. The fact that apps have access to many more APIs than web pages was missed by the court. And Apple, for some reason. The suit suggests that some functionality is restricted to Apple stuff, for 'security' reasons. e.g. Apple earbuds have lots of groovy ways of interacting with the phone, but non Apple stuff isn't allowed to do quite so much. Same with features that were an innovative 3rd party app. Then Apple add the app's functionality to iOS, but with greater integration and functionality, thereby making the app less attractive and killing it, and, according to the suit, innovation generally, and it's the consumer that misses out. Their 'security reasons' happen to make Apple products more attractive, thereby making Apple more money. 'Security reasons' is Apple's reason for not allowing 3rd party app stores which means Apple can charge 30% on all App Store transactions, or a browser has to use Appe's Webkit, so that the browsers are mostly identical under the surface, meaning that there is no competition to improve a browser on iOS. For 'security reasons' My girlfriend still has a load of songs she bought on iTunes, that can only be played on Apple stuff. And the list goes on.

As for Apple Pay, Google Wallet etc, they're all pretty much identical for the end user. I've no idea if Apple Pay is available on Android, but they're free to make it available if they want. The key thing is that no vendor wants it, as it's expensive, in much the same way that many vendors don't take Amex, because it's too expensive. Because on an iPhone you can ONLY have Apple Pay, Apple has a captive market meaning that a if a vendor or bank refuses to take Apple Pay, then they lose out on the entire Apple user base. Some might say that is anti competitive behaviour.

Apple make some good products. They engage in anti competitive behaviour. So far, so normal for a megacorp. What sets Apple apart is the lies and abuse of trust. "We're doing this for you."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

For 'security reasons' My girlfriend still has a load of songs she bought on iTunes, that can only be played on Apple stuff. 

That was for DRM reasons by the record companies, not Apple reasons. I agree broadly with the rest of your post though. Apple take advantage of their strength for purely commercial reasons (as do others, like google, Amazon etc.). They each do it in different ways and with different “justifications”, only a few of which seem to have any degree of validity to me.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That was for DRM reasons by the record companies, not Apple reasons. I agree broadly with the rest of your post though. Apple take advantage of their strength for purely commercial reasons (as do others, like google, Amazon etc.). They each do it in different ways and with different “justifications”, only a few of which seem to have any degree of validity to me.

Absolutely the record companies, yes. But the DRM should tie the track to a person, not an Apple or Sony product. I remember at the time thinking that Apple weren't being clear about the T's & C's tying you to Apple's iPods (at the time) and people were being duped. Anyway, if you want to release the tracks from DRM, so you can play them on anything, you have to pay Apple. I wonder how much of that money goes to the record companies?

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What the 'Sickness & Health' and 'Royal Family' threads, this cheered me up greatly. About five years ago, I unexpectedly saw a bloke I used to be in a band with (but had lost touch) on our local TV news programme. He was in hospital, and looked awful, talking about a last-ditch attempt to treat his advanced lung cancer with an experimental new drug. Gulp. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I was perusing the FB page of a local band, and spot my mate's name as their lead guitarist. He doesn't do social media, but the band passed on my phone number and we got back in touch. The best bit is that the treatment worked, and he's been cancer-free for three years. I'm going to one of his gigs next month. 

Love it MJ - enjoy sir

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s only the second flag I’ve ever been commissioned to do, but again I’m expecting a pretty good reaction to it.

spacer.png

Typical snowflake dragon heading over to the far left

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s only the second flag I’ve ever been commissioned to do, but again I’m expecting a pretty good reaction to it.

spacer.png

But you’ve based it on the England 1966 World Cup training kit :crylaugh: 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Couple of early evening beers with a mate.

Yes @sidcow they were Hazy AF ;)

Its just a facade. Sneaky ****

000a78e91d28374c084a250b1875c8eb_c_13661

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bickster said:

@sidcowis conflicted

Nope.

1) it's beer...... In a can

2) it probably costs more than a decent pint of Cask ale

3) IT'S **** HAZY

You could call it "Being pleasured by a topless Holly Willoughby" and I'd have zero interest in it. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Are people suggesting that in a blind tasting they could tell whether a beer originated from a can or a bottle?

Or is this purely an aesthetics bias?

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Are people suggesting that in a blind tasting they could tell whether a beer originated from a can or a bottle?

Or is this purely an aesthetics bias?

Canned stuff tends to be more fizzy, and (OK, I accept it maybe psychosomatic) tastes 'metallic' to me. And MUCH more likely to induce headaches. 

Not going to comment on lager, that's a different world, but for ale:

.draught (cask) > bottles >>> cans or nitrokeg. 

If the only choice is cans or nitrokeg, I'll pass, and have wine. Or tea/coffee. 

I NEVER buy canned beer. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

"Being pleasured by a topless Holly Willoughby" 

Go on...

daffy-duck-ahh.gif

• Haha 1

Â