Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Are people suggesting that in a blind tasting they could tell whether a beer originated from a can or a bottle?

Without question. Canned beer would always have a slight metallic tang to it.  But my main objection is can or bottle over a Cask beer. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

If i'm in a proper pub i'll always have a cask over keg. However, lots of places don't do cask, or will just do a token 1 or 2 ales, which aren't kept well. 

For home-buying, i prefer the smaller cans over glass bottles. Just purely over aesthetics. Taste wise, can't really tell. 

Different with soft drinks though - will generally avoid plastic bottles, as it seems a lot worse. Cans in the main as you can't really get glass bottles now (apart from Coke)

Edited by Xela

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Without question. Canned beer would always have a slight metallic tang to it.  But my main objection is can or bottle over a Cask beer. 

That’s genuinely a level of palate or taste that’s above mine. If I was around someone’s house and they handed me a glass of beer there is zero chance I could tell if it had been poured from a can or bottle, unless I saw it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s genuinely a level of palate or taste that’s above mine. If I was around someone’s house and they handed me a glass of beer there is zero chance I could tell if it had been poured from a can or bottle, unless I saw it.

Yeah, we had another discussion about this a few months ago, and I'm with you.

I went so far as to have the same drink blind poured from a can vs a bottle. Couldn't tell the difference at all, and I'm one of these rocket polishers that loves a tasting note when it comes to beer, coffee, wine, whiskey...

I'd be impressed if someone insistent that they can tell the difference could do something similar and reliable pick out the right one at a better rate than pure chance.

Obviously it's a different matter when it's directly from the receptacle, I hate drinking directly from a can.

• Like 1

I used to be on the taste the can side, you very much could taste the can but something has changed in recent years and I can’t any more. It could be a number of factors at play

• My tastebuds are buggered - not convinced it’s that
  • canning technology has changed - possible
  • I rarely ever drink big brand massed produced beers in cans any more - could be this too
  • It could just be that craft beers which I do occasionally drink out of a can don’t pick up that metallic taste as much or because they are smaller runs they also don’t sit in the can as long
  • Other factors I've not yet considered 

Anyway, I'm no longer on the taste the can side. It definitely used to be a thing, so much so I didn’t drink canned beer for many years

• Like 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

The next two week's of work are only 4 days long each, as there's a 4 day weekend in the middle.

Weirdly where we work good Friday is a normal day, and we have Monday/Tuesday the following week off instead.

Just now, Rds1983 said:

The next two week's of work are only 4 days long each, as there's a 4 day weekend in the middle.

I've just had three 4 days weeks before this. At least with Easter, I wont come back to a shitload of work from my days off!

It is quarter end though so expecting next week to be very busy. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Weirdly where we work good Friday is a normal day, and we have Monday/Tuesday the following week off instead.

My mate, who works at Goodyear, is the same. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

That used to be fairly common but this is the first I've heard of it for years. 

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That used to be fairly common but this is the first I've heard of it for years. 

I think it’s a very old agreement from years ago I think. It stems from Friday being a half-day and an agreement being reached whereby the staff got a full day off instead of the half day in lieu of a pay rise. 

• Like 1

DJing - There's not a single feeling in the world like it when you get a room full of people dancing. Nothing comes close.

• Like 1

Â