Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

o7VhqBz.png

Treated myself to an espresso machine. I'm waiting for my new grinder to turn up as well to really get the best out of it, but the first shot out of it was the kind of quality espresso I've not been able to get my hands on since WFH.

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

o7VhqBz.png

Treated myself to an espresso machine. I'm waiting for my new grinder to turn up as well to really get the best out of it, but the first shot out of it was the kind of quality espresso I've not been able to get my hands on since WFH.

Ony for the Ice Rink thread. War of the Worlds alien robot. 

• Like 3

The Seaside. Love it.

Went to Kilve beach yesterday just round the bend from Hinckley Point. Walked from Kilve to St Audries Bay to see the cliff top waterfall. Was a lovely walk (8 miles all in there and back so paying for it today, feel like I’m about to fall apart) and the waterfall was amazing. Surprised it’s not made more of as it’s really awesome. 

North Somerset is a bit of a hidden gem imo especially once you get beyond and out of Bridgwater. The stretch from Lilstock all the way to County Gate is really picturesque and the good thing is most of it’s never packed or busy as most people drive past it all en route to Devon and Cornwall or stay near Weston/Brean/Burnham. Guess the brown sea isn’t to everyone’s liking but I think it’s a beautiful part of the country. Think Dunster is my favourite part.

Off to Porlock/Porlock Weir tomorrow or Thursday. Then a short drive to Clevedon (proper little hidden gem) on Friday. No more long walks though. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

The Seaside. Love it.

Went to Kilve beach yesterday just round the bend from Hinckley Point. Walked from Kilve to St Audries Bay to see the cliff top waterfall. Was a lovely walk (8 miles there and back so paying for it today, feel like I’m about to fall apart) and the waterfall was amazing. Surprised it’s not made more of as it’s really awesome. 

North Somerset is a bit of a hidden gem imo especially once you get beyond and out of Bridgwater. The stretch from Lilstock all the way to County Gate is really picturesque and the good thing is most of it’s never packed or busy as most people drive past it all en route to Devon and Cornwall or stay near Weston/Brean/Burnham. Guess the brown sea isn’t to everyone’s liking but I think it’s a beautiful part of the country. Think Dunster is my favourite part.

Off to Porlock/Porlock Weir tomorrow or Thursday. Then a short drive to Clevedon (proper little hidden gem) on Friday. No more long walks though. 

You ever tried a Clevedon Steamer?

• Haha 1

I randomly received a copy of the Villa News and Record match day programme from Saturday, earlier. I was a bit stumped as to why someone would post that to me with no explanation, then I remembered Limpid posting a competition to win one. And win one I did, it seems. 

Noice. Gives me something to read before the game later. 

Cheers @limpid

22 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The Seaside. Love it.

Went to Kilve beach yesterday just round the bend from Hinckley Point. Walked from Kilve to St Audries Bay to see the cliff top waterfall. Was a lovely walk (8 miles all in there and back so paying for it today, feel like I’m about to fall apart) and the waterfall was amazing. Surprised it’s not made more of as it’s really awesome. 

I hoisted a huge Ammonite fossil from Kilve beach.  Nearly killed me, proudly in my garden now.  220 million years old :) 

Got another less complete one from Watchet (not far from Kilve) early this year too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

A great find. Would cost a small fortune to buy. 

No doubt.  Got hundreds of 2/3" pieces, but to find one which was just cleaved off a face is rarer than rocking horse shit as you can't use a hammer on bedrock, only loose rock.  

If my father in law hadn't gone and bought the car close to the entrance, I'd have had to have left it.  Probably weighs about 70-80kgs (it's about 12" diameter), the smaller one about 20kgs, but the walk from watchet carpark to the beach is probably 3/4 of a mile - was much easier to just have on my shoulder as well.

Had to stop 3 times because people asked me to show their kids :lol: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

My ammonites 🥰🥰🥰

That's going to confuse the hell out of future paleontologists

Ammonites, appear to be living in a rubbish tip when they normally require very clean water, that would be an anomaly for sure

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Isn’t it illegal to remove stones from the beach?

On those beaches, it is if you have to hammer bedrock to get them.  If they are loose it's fair game. 

I made sure before I went to the beaches.

A local guy I spoke to said they'd recently had problems with Polish people coming down with large hammers and getting the HUGE fossils out with tools (they're >1ft in diameter).

Not sure how he'd know they're Polish or whatever, but thought it was a shame.

That said, those massive ones are so exposed to tidal conditions, they'll wear out severely before they become loose enough to become fair game. 

I kinda get it, but I wouldn't personally. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's going to confuse the hell out of future paleontologists

Ammonites, appear to be living in a rubbish tip when they normally require very clean water, that would be an anomaly for sure

A rubbish tip you say?! 

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

On those beaches, it is if you have to hammer bedrock to get them.  If they are loose it's fair game. 

I made sure before I went to the beaches.

A local guy I spoke to said they'd recently had problems with Polish people coming down with large hammers and getting the HUGE fossils out with tools (they're >1ft in diameter).

Not sure how he'd know they're Polish or whatever, but thought it was a shame.

That said, those massive ones are so exposed to tidal conditions, they'll wear out severely before they become loose enough to become fair game. 

I kinda get it, but I wouldn't personally. 

Yes, it varies dependent on Local Authority. Picking up a couple of pebbles can cost you a £1,000 fine AND you can be instructed to put them back. No biggy if you live walking distance, but can also involve having to drive back to Cornwall.

I certainly wouldn’t be putting it on social media if I had a thing about crinoids and took one crinoid pebble home every time I visited the beach during the whole 18 months of lockdown and then bought ceramic tiles for a seating area that mimmicked the crinoid pattern

spacer.png

Edited by chrisp65

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, it varies dependent on Local Authority. Picking up a couple of pebbles can cost you a £1,000 fine AND you can be instructed to put them back. No biggy if you live walking distance, but can also involve having to drive back to Cornwall.

I certainly wouldn’t be putting it on social media if I had a thing about crinoids and took one crinoid pebble home every time I visited the beach during the whole 18 months of lockdown and then bought ceramic tiles for a seating area that mimmicked the crinoid pattern

spacer.png

Is that a piece you have?  

Can get all sorts from Wren's Nest that's Silurian in age (450-420 million year ago).

I've been a few times, but never yet managed to find the famous Dudley Bug! 

image.jpeg.13d2c1c7cbeb7f48986efed634fed8dc.jpeg

Again, you can't even take a hammer onto that site, which is a shame, because I've suspected some loose ones have something in them! 

• Like 2

I found Crinoids (and Trilobites for that matter), not big ones but lots of smaller ones, not on a beach though....

I wouldn't advise going to this location though, it's like a jungle out there....

Wrens Nest in Dudley

Bloody dangerous, not sure if the school is still there as it was years ago but there's us on a school field trip and there's the caged black country animals throwing rocks down on us from the school at the top

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Is that a piece you have?  

Can get all sorts from Wren's Nest that's Silurian in age (450-420 million year ago).

I've been a few times, but never yet managed to find the famous Dudley Bug! 

image.jpeg.13d2c1c7cbeb7f48986efed634fed8dc.jpeg

Again, you can't even take a hammer onto that site, which is a shame, because I've suspected some loose ones have something in them! 

Haha hadn't read yours when I posted

• Haha 1

Â