Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I know that some VTers would put this in the "Piss you off" thread, but for me... hearing, from a distance, the sounds of kids in a playground (don't bother with the pædo jokes). It's a sound that I reckon would be exactly the same in in any country on earth, at any time in history. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I know that some VTers would put this in the "Piss you off" thread, but for me... hearing, from a distance, the sounds of kids in a playground (don't bother with the pædo jokes). It's a sound that I reckon would be exactly the same in in any country on earth, at any time in history. 

We're those people that moved house to be in the catchment of the best school.

I loved the sound of playtime wafting up the street on the breeze. Just makes me smile.

Of course, it's all changed now, what with the restraining order, but great memories.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stranded humpback whale rescued in Argentina

Authorities say a humpback whale stranded on Argentina's coast has been sent back to the ocean safely after a round-the-clock rescue effort over the weekend.

Dozens of people worked for 28 hours digging around the seven-ton whale using heavy machinery.

The whale swam aground on Saturday in the resort town of Mar del Tuyu, about 200 miles south of Buenos Aires.

The first efforts using a mechanical digger to lift the whale back into the sea failed.

Biologist Karina Alvarez said the animal floated but did not move its tail or pectoral fins because it was too weak. The waves eventually brought the whale back to the coast again.

Rescuers finally used a special harness to pull the whale back into the ocean using a tugboat on Sunday. 

• Like 2

On 01/10/2018 at 04:17, maqroll said:

This is basically it. It's sort of just ceremonial. It's as quaint as the rest of the game. 

If the batter was unable to or didn’t want to complete a circuit around the diamond, would the ‘home run’ still be scored?

Looking at the YouTube clip that Stevo985 recently posted, it appears that the circuit still has to be completed for the run to be scored (i.e. it is not just ceremonial} which seems bizarre given that a home run ball is no longer in play.

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There was a miserable old woman called Hilda who lived up the street from me when I was a kid who was always curtain twitching and staring at us if we started making too much noise outside her house.

It was only after she'd died and when I was a bit older, my mom told me that Hilda had told her once that one of her few remaining pleasures in life was watching and hearing all us kids playing and having fun.

Made me feel bad about that shit I took on her doorstep.

(That last bit isn't true)

• Like 2

I am Mr. Miyagi. 

A mega big night fly has been buzzing us all night. 

I've kept the fly swat next to me and had several goes at it, had the light on in the utility to try and attract it out. Stalked it all bloody night. 

Just went upstairs and on the way back down it flew past me and I casually threw out my hand and caught it mid flight. 

I went running round the living room guffawing like a mad thing before releasing it out of the back door. 

The Mrs said she had never seen me so happy. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â