Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

nope, the Ambulance Crew are not engaged in any activity at the behest of the gifter. This is most definitely a gift imo. There is no contract between the two parties

Is that the legal definition of a gratuity, that it is between two contracting parties? (Genuine question, btw.)

Tbh, I think it's probably the bloke's tenner anyway and he wrote the note himself. ;)

Just now, snowychap said:

Is that the legal definition of a gratuity, that it is between two contracting parties? (Genuine question, btw.)

I have no idea but I would imagine that something like that must come into it. There's no connection apart from geography between the two parties, they've never even met as far as we know. Surely a tip is a financial thank-you for services provided, no service is provided here (quite the opposite)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well how would you declare it? :P

It would have to be one hell of a session to get me anywhere near the personal allowance. :)

Edit: And following on from @bickster's line of reasoning, I'd be very worried about the services you'd expect in return.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Knowing that if the chance ever arose, it would not be appropriate to buy Snowychap a pint :D 

I would never buy that charlatan a pint anyway.

He was like, really mean to me a couple of days ago.  

I still hurting :( :(  

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

There's a new pub opened up with about 7 billion types of beer.  That's the next 10 years of my life sorted.

Has it got long opening hours,  would be great if they have as you need to get through 1.9 million types of beer a day to squeeze it into the imposed time frame.

Is it in walking distance ? That would help a lot to try them all,  any time saved is a winner.

(Not including the churn of new / old beers or promotions)

• Like 1

River Elan sightings of salmon and brown trout end 40-year-wait

Young salmon have been spotted in a section of the River Elan in Powys for the first time in decades. Salmon and brown trout under the age of one were found in the water just downstream of Elan Village. It follows a three-year scheme to restore the ecology of 4.3 miles (7km) of the tributary downstream of the Elan Valley dams. The Wye and Usk Foundation, Welsh Water and Natural Resources Wales have been behind the work.

"Finding juvenile salmon there is a sign that we are heading in the right direction. However, the job is only part done. We need to continue adding further amounts of gravel to complete what is already a very successful project and to continue to monitor the results."

Completed in 1905, the dams cut off the natural source of riverbed gravels to the lower Elan while the river's existing gravels have steadily been washed away. This left the river lacking the sediments needed for aquatic life to thrive but over the last two years, 2,300 tonnes of new gravel has been introduced to the Elan. Initial surveys in 2017 showed a recovery of invertebrates in the newly gravelled areas and they were followed by sightings of adult salmon spawning in these areas last winter. Now the young fish have been recorded there for the first time since monitoring began in the early 1970s. There has also been a large increase in salmon numbers further downstream.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45425642

That's right up under the dams where half Brum's water comes from. Go on little fishies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

@tonyh29 went all the way to North Korea posing as a tourist only for Kim to pack all the toys away before he came ???

His masters won't be amused, I am though ?

Just this minute got back to Beijing 

didnt met Kim but we were “granted the honour “ of being in the same stadium as him for the Mass games opening ... unreal , made our Olympic opening ceremony look like a infant school play ...

so much has changed in the 6 years since I last went , very much for the better , I’ll bore everyone about it in the travel thread when I get back home :) 

• Like 2

Â