Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 20/09/2018 at 13:12, chrisp65 said:

Ahh, you'll be looking for my twitter account, that's where I probably post up the most music. It's mostly excellent, plus the occasional bit of country.

waiting for some wag to insert the word "Big" in front of Country  ..looking at you @bickster

On 23/09/2018 at 17:29, chrisp65 said:

clearing out rarely visited cupboards in a slash and burn effort to find more space

the missus put these on the 'keep' file without discussion or eye contact

34 years, and I'm coming around to the conclusion she could be the one

44814671282_ed448abaaa.jpg

Anybody else got their name in this book?

I'm in there.

Yeah I'm in it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm not a Brewers fan, but the sound of the crowd when the ball is hit is why I love baseball at this time of year.

This question might be better placed in the ’things you don’t get’ thread, but as baseball has appeared on this thread:

Why does the batter still run around the diamond after the ball has been hit for an automatic home run?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brommy said:

This question might be better placed in the ’things you don’t get’ thread, but as baseball has appeared on this thread:

Why does the batter still run around the diamond after the ball has been hit for an automatic home run?

Lap of honour ? 

Without coming across all ghey and like one of those FB look at my kid moments. Put a film on for my son, the new ‘Planet of the apes ‘ film. I just happened to glance through the living room and I saw him sobbing. Asked him what was up, and he couldn’t get his words out without jibbing. One of the apes had died, and it had upset him. He’s a very sensitive soul. Made me happy that he can express his emotions like that. He felt a bit embarrassed, but I told him everyone cries at something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brommy said:

If so, do any batters choose to do something individual, like not to jog around the diamond? If they simply waved to crowd and then sat down would the run still be scored?

I was also going to add, that it may be part of the rules that you still have to run the diamond. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was also going to add, that it may be part of the rules that you still have to run the diamond. 

If they still need to run then presumably the ball is still in play, so if it were retrieved from the crowd quick enough, could they be run out? For obvious reasons I am comparing the situation with cricket. If the ball goes as far as the boundary rope with/without bouncing 4/6 runs are scored, without the batsman physically needing to run 4 or 6 runs.

Hopefully someone who knows the game well will confirm whether the batter still needs to run around the whole diamond if a home run is hit.

1 minute ago, brommy said:

If they still need to run then presumably the ball is still in play, so if it were retrieved from the crowd quick enough, could they be run out? For obvious reasons I am comparing the situation with cricket. If the ball goes as far as the boundary rope with/without bouncing 4/6 runs are scored, without the batsman physically needing to run 4 or 6 runs.

Hopefully someone who knows the game well will confirm whether the batter still needs to run around the whole diamond if a home run is hit.

Hopefully our resident Yank will answer anything that needs to be answered. Personally, I can’t see the crowd having a say, in terms of getting the ball back quick enough for a run out. 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Hopefully our resident Yank will answer anything that needs to be answered. Personally, I can’t see the crowd having a say, in terms of getting the ball back quick enough for a run out. 

I often seen the batter take their time during a fairly slow jog around the bases, certainly enough time for someone who caught the ball to throw to a fielder and the fielder to throw to last base before the jogging batter arrived, so to me it seems like the ball is dead and the run is automatically scored (as per my 4 or 6 cricket runs analogy) and perhaps there is no requirement to run around the whole diamond. There’ll be loads of VTers who will know for sure, after all, the game does have a completion known as the World Series.

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

I often seen the batter take their time during a fairly slow jog around the bases, certainly enough time for someone who caught the ball to throw to a fielder and the fielder to throw to last base before the jogging batter arrived, so to me it seems like the ball is dead and the run is automatically scored (as per my 4 or 6 cricket runs analogy) and perhaps there is no requirement to run around the whole diamond. There’ll be loads of VTers who will know for sure, after all, the game does have a completion known as the World Series.

I don't know the reason, but it makes for odd situations

Watch the whole thing, it's worth it :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know the reason, but it makes for odd situations

Watch the whole thing, it's worth it :) 

That’s hilariously bizarre!

From the commentary, It appears that when a ball is hit above the wall surrounding the field, the ball is deemed to be no longer in play and a ‘home run’ is scored, but weirdly the batter still has to run around the diamond. A bit like hitting a 6 in cricket and still having to run up and down the wicket 6 times. Presumably, as the ball is no longer in play, the batter can take as much time as he wants to move around the diamond. Imagine an away team batter and stopping to enjoy a flask of tea half way around, just to annoy the home support.

8 minutes ago, brommy said:

That’s hilariously bizarre!

From the commentary, It appears that when a ball is hit above the wall surrounding the field, the ball is deemed to be no longer in play and a ‘home run’ is scored, but weirdly the batter still has to run around the diamond. A bit like hitting a 6 in cricket and still having to run up and down the wicket 6 times. Presumably, as the ball is no longer in play, the batter can take as much time as he wants to move around the diamond. Imagine an away team batter and stopping to enjoy a flask of tea half way around, just to annoy the home support.

Yeah I got the home run bit. 

But like you I don’t know why they have to go through the formality of everyone touching all the bases. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I got the home run bit. 

But like you I don’t know why they have to go through the formality of everyone touching all the bases. 

I wonder if there is a time limit to completing stroll around the bases. Supposing the “home run” hitter twists an ankle: is he allowed treatment before eventually limping around the diamond? I’d like to know why the lap still needs to be completed when the ball is no longer in play.

5 hours ago, brommy said:

I wonder if there is a time limit to completing stroll around the bases. Supposing the “home run” hitter twists an ankle: is he allowed treatment before eventually limping around the diamond? I’d like to know why the lap still needs to be completed when the ball is no longer in play.

I believe baseball is similar to cricket in that there is a 'spirit' in which it's supposed to be played. Running the full home run is really just a procession as the ball is dead once it has left the field of play though if there are runners on other bases then you aren't allowed to overtake them, so it serves a purpose in that instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I believe baseball is similar to cricket in that there is a 'spirit' in which it's supposed to be played. Running the full home run is really just a procession as the ball is dead once it has left the field of play though if there are runners on other bases then you aren't allowed to overtake them, so it serves a purpose in that instance.

So would the run still be scored if the batter was unable to complete the circuit? Also, it seems really pointless if it’s just a procession. If I’d just hit a home run, I think I’d take some satisfaction in simply sitting down again.

Â