Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is a proper view, yours doesn’t even have benches

fi3341alog871.jpg

That's the Swan Island isn't it? 

If not they have exactly the same kind of benches there. I've been laughing at them for years

Edit: no it isn't The Swan. I can see it's over the A38. Never mind!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I was just approached today about a potential job in Bergen.

Where is that and where are you in Norway?

Very cool! I’ll leave regional rivalries aside and admit Bergen is a beautiful city. If you can make it work, I’d strongly consider it if I were you. Norway is a very good country to live and work in, not to mention raising children in. Let me know if you have any questions, buddy.  

My picture was taken on the way up from Arnafjord to the Stølsheimen landscape. Spent the day hiking with my GF yesterday and spending the whole week visiting her family in Sogn. It’s literally all mountains, fjords and waterfalls. Bergen is in the same county as this, Vestland county (West coast.) 

I grew up and still live in the Oslo area, and I’ll forever say Oslo is the best damn city in the world, but if you move to Bergen, I’m sure you’ll love it. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

was just approached today about a potential job in Bergen.

One of my favourite towns. Went there with work years ago. Stunning place, fabulous people.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 18:24, Seat68 said:

4th of July. Americans think it's seared into our brains that they bested us and split off victorious. I find it quite funny that it's not even a footnote as we have so much other history. 

And it's the only date they say that way. The day before is July 3rd the day after is July 5th. 

It's the only day of the year they say in the English way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, colhint said:

And it's the only date they say that way. The day before is July 3rd the day after is July 5th. 

It's the only day of the year they say in the English way.

I recently saw a riddle online: "How far do you have to count before you reach a number with the letter 'a' in it?". Posed by an American who gave the answer as 'one thousAnd'. I said it was 'one hundred And one', and was greeted with incredulity. 'Nobody', apparently, says that. 

'One Hundred One Dalmatians', anybody? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I recently saw a riddle online: "How far do you have to count before you reach a number with the letter 'a' in it?". Posed by an American who gave the answer as 'one thousAnd'. I said it was 'one hundred And one', and was greeted with incredulity. 'Nobody', apparently, says that. 

I think I could have justified any one of the reactions possible to this post

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Bullshit surely, this can't be true.

Looks at the internet, and yes, how ridiculous, why would you remove the and. 100 hundred 3. Its rare I get mad at americanisms, but this has left me fuming.

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What is the first number you can count that has an A in it?

Many.

As in; one, two, many, lots. That's numbers, that is.

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Bullshit surely, this can't be true.

Looks at the internet, and yes, how ridiculous, why would you remove the and. 100 hundred 3. It’s rare I get mad at americanisms, but this has left me fuming.

If the hypnotist in the Simpsons episode “Homer at the Bat” is anything to go by, if Americans DO drop the “and”, they’re not consistent with it.

(This was the first example I could think of or find with an American film/tv saying a number “one hundred and something”…I’ve been looking around trying to find Paul Newman getting all excited about his building’s height in The Towering Inferno, but no luck there)

Â