Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

At my son's first school sport's day last year he lost every single race and over the past year a few kid's have told him he was slow.

He developed a bit of a complex about it. 

Just finished his Year One sport's day and he got a 1st in one race and a 2nd in another. 

Absolute look of joy and pride on his face afterwards. 

Good man. I always signed up for the 10k at our sport's days as it took place before the actual day without crowds. I always came hopelessly last, but only 5 or 6 classes out of 8 would ever enter so that was bonus points.

I'd probably eat them all for breakfast nowadays.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Good man. I always signed up for the 10k at our sport's days as it took place before the actual day without crowds. I always came hopelessly last, but only 5 or 6 classes out of 8 would ever enter so that was bonus points.

Good of you to keep at it and not get disheartened. 

I left out about him coming dead last in the sack race but that's okay. He's done great.

He's the youngest and smallest in his year (born a week later he'd be the year below), so he's bound to struggle with some of it at this age.

What was great to see though was that even after coming last in that race he had a big smile on his face and said it was fun. 

I'll have to pick up a sack from somewhere so he can practice for next year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Good of you to keep at it and not get disheartened. 

I left out about him coming dead last in the sack race but that's okay. He's done great.

He's the youngest and smallest in his year (born a week later he'd be the year below), so he's bound to struggle with some of it at this age.

What was great to see though was that even after coming last in that race he had a big smile on his face and said it was fun. 

I'll have to pick up a sack from somewhere so he can practice for next year.

I heard the older you get, the bigger the sack gets 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

But this was a contest for CHILDREN!" "Yeah, and Homer beat their brains out"

• Like 1

Where I'm having to stay there a quite a few people with dementia. I know first hand it's a terrible illness. But today I had to laugh. There were two old ladies both approaching their nineties. Normally they seem to be best mates. But they had a real set to today. Nothing physical, they both walk with frames. It was just a shouting match. 

What made me laugh is I guess they hardly ever swore in their earlier years, so I don't think they knew how to. They had heard the words but not how they fit together. 

It went something like this

You bastarding cow

You flipping fuxxer

You sodding slut

You flipping bastard

And so on

Just waking round the shop by me and a guy pulled up and honestly he was the biggest bloke I’ve ever seen. He must have been about 7 foot, and gym built, the guy was a monster (hence me not being brave enough to get a photo) but the guy was driving a Vaxuall Corsa. 

Honestly it was like that scene from the Simpsons. 

Made me chuckle 😂

9 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Bats.  We often sit in our back yard as dusk descends and regularly see a couple circling around trees feasting on insects, silhouetted against the sky.  I love their jerky movement compared to birds, alway looking just one failed flap of a wing away from dropping to the ground.  I used to go to the Oregon Shakespeare festival at an outdoor theater and would get distracted from the play as bats circled around the bright spotlights gorging themselves on the bugs they attracted.

We dont get bats in Perth but when I was in India the fireflies fascinated me at night time.

27 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Bats.  We often sit in our back yard as dusk descends and regularly see a couple circling around trees feasting on insects, silhouetted against the sky.  I love their jerky movement compared to birds, alway looking just one failed flap of a wing away from dropping to the ground.  I used to go to the Oregon Shakespeare festival at an outdoor theater and would get distracted from the play as bats circled around the bright spotlights gorging themselves on the bugs they attracted.

My wife, child and grandchild used to find it hilarious that I was scared to go into the bat house at a local zoo, I no longer go in, I hate bats, they scare the living shit out of me. 

40 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Yeah, I love watching the bats on a summer evening in the garden. The wife is terrified of them, mind. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I can quite easily disprove that theory. I may be an outlier though.

Yeah there'll no doubt be the odd weirdo outlier, but I think that trend will be broadly true. Certainly among the female of the species, anecdotally the fear seems to be them things getting tangled in your barnet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the bat house at the zoo, the missus and the daughter won't go in with me

I could sit there for ages just watching themfly with them just brushing past my head, not a problem. The females of this family would just scream the place down

• Like 1

Â