Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I know it could go in the lineker story thread, but putting here as it made me laugh, the pure brazen shamelessness of this effort to get some PR

Reading their other tweets, they're extremely self aware. I approve :D

Lineker is playing a blinder with these tweets. Apparently a conciliatory comment about Davie, and then that 'fight the good fight together' sting in the tail. Positively dripping with sarcasm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

When one of these flys past your flat window

red-kite-2.jpg

There are loads of kites up here. Never seen one fly past that close before though. Wow.

We were down to 1 pair of these birds in the late 80's early 90's in Wales. Their resurgence is a real victory for the reintroduction programmes.

I've mentioned the ones round here before. They've gone from 'endangered species' to 'successful breeding programme' to 'nuisance', in less than 20 years. Basically, if you look up into the sky at any time of day, it's odds-on that you'll see one (or several). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've mentioned the ones round here before. They've gone from 'endangered species' to 'successful breeding programme' to 'nuisance', in less than 20 years. Basically, if you look up into the sky at any time of day, it's odds-on that you'll see one (or several). 

I'd much rather a nuisance than the alternative.

• Like 2

Definitely victims of their own success. I believe you can now apply for the right bit of paper to legally shoot them. :(

But to get the thread back on message - Birdwatching.

I don't spend my weekends in a hide staring out of binoculars or anything but being back in the hills with all the diversity of habitats I just started to wonder what that yellow thing was or what's that one with the red face.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 20:39, chrisp65 said:

Worlds poshest smack spoons.

When we were kid's there was a guy who tried to corner the world's silver market. The price of silver went through the roof 

My parent's we're searching the house for silver to sell at which point we realised we'd been feeding the cats with a silver spoon 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When we were kid's there was a guy who tried to corner the world's silver market. The price of silver went through the roof 

My parent's we're searching the house for silver to sell at which point we realised we'd been feeding the cats with a silver spoon 🤣

I went down a bullion rabbit hole a few weeks back after watching The Gold on BBC, and it took me to Silver Thursday and the manufactured spike in Silver Bullion prices. I paid no attention to it at the time, unsurprisingly, but very interesting read now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

When one of these flys past your flat window

red-kite-2.jpg

There are loads of kites up here. Never seen one fly past that close before though. Wow.

We were down to 1 pair of these birds in the late 80's early 90's in Wales. Their resurgence is a real victory for the reintroduction programmes.

Is that like a hawk ?because we get a few hawks flying over us now and then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Is that like a hawk ?because we get a few hawks flying over us now and then.

It's a Red Kite. A different subgrouping of Raptors to hawks but yes, a closely related Bird of Prey

• Like 1

When I was younger, when we spent every other weekend in Wales for most of the year, we'd regularly have dad taking us into the hills to spots where you could see red kites fairly regularly - we spent a lot of time in one of the few bits of Wales were a population had hung on, and then the conservation/reintroduction efforts had caused that area to boom with them further. Still have a soft spot for them - very elegant bird.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

down to 1 pair of these birds in the late 80's early 90's in Wales

perhaps what I meant to say earlier was actually

Consequently, the red kite became extinct in England in 1871 and in Scotland in 1879. By 1903 when protection efforts started, only a handful of pairs were left in remote parts of central Wales.

The small remnant population survived the persecution in the old oakwoods in the undisturbed upland valleys of mid-Wales, but despite extensive efforts, the numbers remained extremely low. The tightest genetic bottle-neck came in the 1930s. Even though several pairs survived, DNA analysis has since discovered that the entire Welsh population was derived from a single female bird.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/red-kite/population-trends/

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

we realised we'd been feeding the cats with a silver spoon 🤣

How was little boy blue and the man in the moon?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I returned my Galaxy A8 to the shop today to get a new one as my one ( streight out of the box ) asked for a 4 digit code.The shop said they could are happy to  replace my A8 with a new one but I would have to come back on thursday to pick it up.The other option was to fix my A8 on the spot and give me $40 for having to bring it in,as well as a 2 year guarentee.IMHO.thats pritty good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I returned my Galaxy A8 to the shop today to get a new one as my one ( streight out of the box ) asked for a 4 digit code.The shop said they could are happy to  replace my A8 with a new one but I would have to come back on thursday to pick it up.The other option was to fix my A8 on the spot and give me $40 for having to bring it in,as well as a 2 year guarentee.IMHO.thats pritty good.

not bad at all $40 and getting someone else to type 1234 into a phone

• Haha 2

Â