Barry Bannan

villianusa

im still not sold on Bannan. Defensively i thought he did well. In attack.. he did some good things.. but still does too many hollywood long balls and diagonal ones that just give away possession.

Hes improving though but i think KEA Westwood and a new signing in midfield would be good.

'Hollywood long balls' - such a broken record. His passing ability is easily one of the, if not the, best in the squad and he does go for some ambitious passes yes but he completes a lot of them and they can create opportunities we wouldn't otherwise have had.

He's a great player and maybe you should support him instead of your agenda for a change.

• Like 3

At least he tries to get the ball forward, unlike Delph or KEA, who just pass it sideways.

They're both good players just too similar in nature - they're both there to keep things ticking over instead of offering more creative outlets so I don't blame them for being what they are. Either of them are fine to play in the defensive role with Ireland and Bannan as the outlets.

They're both good players just too similar in nature - they're both there to keep things ticking over instead of offering more creative outlets so I don't blame them for being what they are. Either of them are fine to play in the defensive role with Ireland and Bannan as the outlets.

Agreed.

but still does too many hollywood long balls and diagonal ones that just give away possession.

Remember that goal Albrighton scored against Fulham a few years ago?

When a player like Bannan is capable of playing balls like that I really dont mind if they don't reach their target sometimes. Least he's trying to make something happen.

Love him and should be first name on the team sheet (when choosing midfield anyway) almost all his corners yesterday landed right on Benteke's bonce. The co-commentator was waxing lyrical about him too. I watched him closely yesterday he made one dodgy pass the rest of the match he was outstanding. Very intelligent footballing brain on him, a great passer. Gives us a fluidity.

"Bannan is awful. Tries stupid Hollywood passes all the time and adds nothing to the team. I can't remember ever seeing him have a decent game ." - UpTheVilla26

"People saying Barry Bannan was better than Charlie Adam (who is also crap) need to have a serious word with themselves. Woeful player" - juanpabloangel18

"I've never been a big fan of him. The love in that some people on VT have for Bannan is baffling. He's a Championship player at best. He shows the odd little glimpse of hope

occasionally but that's about it. Holloway liked him when Bannan was on loan at Blackpool. We should throw him in as part of a deal to sign Ince or Phillips." - HolteEndRob

"I've seen enough of Bannan to know he is a powder puff lightweight player that is expensive in trying to keep possession, crap competing for balls in the air, can't win a tackle, not really quick. Just what exactly is his speciality? I think he needs to be moved on permanently." - zapbranny

"Send him to the SPL or Championship. Will never cut it in the premierleague" - AshVilla

"How many chances do you give the lad." - CI

People are ridiculous. He has one good game then everyone praises him saying he should be starting each week. He has one bad game and everyone says he deserves to be playing in the SPL or championship and that he is useless.

"Bannan is awful. Tries stupid Hollywood passes all the time and adds nothing to the team. I can't remember ever seeing him have a decent game ." - UpTheVilla26

"People saying Barry Bannan was better than Charlie Adam (who is also crap) need to have a serious word with themselves. Woeful player" - juanpabloangel18

"I've never been a big fan of him. The love in that some people on VT have for Bannan is baffling. He's a Championship player at best. He shows the odd little glimpse of hope

occasionally but that's about it. Holloway liked him when Bannan was on loan at Blackpool. We should throw him in as part of a deal to sign Ince or Phillips." - HolteEndRob

"I've seen enough of Bannan to know he is a powder puff lightweight player that is expensive in trying to keep possession, crap competing for balls in the air, can't win a tackle, not really quick. Just what exactly is his speciality? I think he needs to be moved on permanently." - zapbranny

"Send him to the SPL or Championship. Will never cut it in the premierleague" - AshVilla

"How many chances do you give the lad." - CI

People are ridiculous. He has one good game then everyone praises him saying he should be starting each week. He has one bad game and everyone says he deserves to be playing in the SPL or championship and that he is useless.

I for one have never slated Bannan. I have however seen him play some excellent football. I would give him an extended run in the side and see how he does. And when I say extended, I mean at least 20 more games this season.

This board is the most fickle place I have ever seen. Bannan could stick five past Manure and by the end of MOTD some on here would be calling him a word removed and an SPL player, and the ridiculous old line "Hollywood Balls" would be trotted out.

The last time I went to Villa Park was the FA Cup match against Blackburn in the Houllier era. We beat them 3-1. Bannan was the stand out best player on the park that day. He has got it, let's give him an extended chance to do it. Afterall, he's better than Delph.

I am not a huge fan of BB, but credit where it is due. That was his best performance to date, he worked tirelessly but smartly (which has been an issue for him in the past), played a limited number of "hollywood balls" compared to other appearances which made them somewhat more threatening, but more importantly made more simple passes, not necessarily sideways (I am looking at you Delph), that kept possession and got the ball to the attacking players quickly and with some space.

I hope he can keep playing this way, because with his size and average pace his margin for error is very small. The above are what he brings to the table effectively, along with free kicks and corners, and if sticks to it he can have some success.