Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan's AVFC squad page claims he is 5 7", only 2 inches smaller than NRC.

Not a chance surely? He looks about 5 4" to me.

He's only an inch smaller than Ireland, if he learns to use his abilities correctly he can play in a way that his size doesn't matter, he certainly has the ability.

Rumour has it that MON told Bannan that he had no future at Villa as he is too small.

You shouldn't listen to rumours, especially as the source of that one is often wrong but never spotted

Although it does seem fairly clear that wee Barry thought he wasn't given enough first team action by MON. Expect him now to come out with lots of statements in praise of the new manager (as on today's OS).

A good performance from Bannan last night. He wasn't amazing but he's showed encouraging signs that he is still worth hanging onto.

There was one moment when he received the ball in midfield, waited a few seconds for Clark to run down the wing, released it to Clark who then cut it back to Bannan who was running into the box. Bannan shot first time and if it had to be blocked on the line by a Blackburn player.

That would have been an excellent goal solely worked by Bannan if it'd gone in.

Like Davis? Far more technically gifted. Davis was just a generic box-to-box player in hindsight, in Bannan we have a player with more technical ability in his right toe. What about the growth hormones Messi was given? Or is that too late? I really want Bannan to make it, watched him a few times when he was seventeen or so and always thought he could make it, just lacks the height and physique.

Real gem.

Barry Bannan is hoping to tie down a regular spot at Aston Villa after rejecting rumours of another loan move.

Midfielder Bannan, who enjoyed a successful spell at Blackpool during their promotion campaign last season, has been linked with another temporary switch to the Championship.

But the 20-year-old, who has reportedly attracted recent interest from Sheffield United, insists he wants to establish himself in the Premier League with Villa under new boss Gerard Houllier.

Impress

"My first thoughts are to play for Aston Villa," Bannan told the Birmingham Mail.

"I am not looking to move now because I want to try and stay here and impress the new manager.

"Hopefully I'll get a shot and be involved at some point in the games. So I'm not really looking at going.

"It would be silly really because if you are out you are not getting looked at.

"If you are here you are getting watched every day in training, he can see what you are doing well so it would be a bit silly.

"He is a fair manager. It is a fresh start for everyone. You've got to just work away and if you are the best in training I don't think he won't pick you.

"Everyone is turning over a new leaf really so if you play well in training with this manager I think you will get a chance."

Bannan delivered an impressive display during Villa's 3-1 Carling Cup win over Blackburn on Wednesday.

And his performance did not go unnoticed by new manager Houllier, who said: "The No.25, Bannan - he will be a player. He is a young kid. He has got skill, intelligence and nearly scored."

Bannan feels Houllier is trying to introduce a more intricate passing game at Villa, as well as encouraging his attacking players to work hard wherever they are on the pitch.

Exciting

"He is very big on that," he said.

"He wants us to play, pass, go and enjoy the game so that is right up my street really. That is all I want to do - play football and enjoy it.

"I think with some of the new things he is going to bring in, it is going to be exciting for the club.

"But you've got to dig in, you've got to work hard for the team, do all the stuff that doesn't really get appreciated - tackling, tracking back - that goes without fail.

"Obviously when we are going forward he wants us to excite the fans and hopefully that can involve me."

http://tinyurl.com/39p3dnl

He doesn't. He said it in the summer, soon after he left. He said MON liked big strong players (surprise, surprise) and that he felt he had a better chance with a new manager.

Must of missed that interview. But it doesn't surprise me as most of his interviews say how a cloud has been lifted and players given a new chance.

Didn't he try to loan him out to blackpool again for this summer?