Barry Bannan

villianusa

Barry Bannan relished his first taste of Second City derby action and insisted the draw was probably a fair result overall.

The Scotsman enjoyed a lively cameo in the stalemate with Birmingham City after he replaced Steve Sidwell on 58 mintues.

It was a moment to savour for the skilful midfield player, who described the atmosphere and "ferocious" pace of the contest as "everything I expected".

While Bannan admits Villa were a little disappointed not to crack the resistance of their great rivals, he felt it was important that they extended their unbeaten derby streak to seven matches.

"It was everything I expected - really ferocious and you didn't have much time on the ball," said Bannan.

"I really enjoyed the atmosphere and I just loved being out there and playing in it.

"If you can't win the game the last thing you want to do is lose it, so we'll take the point.

"But, before the game, we came in and wanted to win.

"So we are a bit disappointed not to win it, but not to lose and to keep a clean sheet as well we have done well. It was a good battle - both teams were going for it so you can't say anything about that.

"A draw is probably a fair result at the end of the day."

The afternoon could have turned in to a fairytale for Bannan, who saw his long-range effort parried away by in-form Blues keeper Ben Foster.

It was one of the best chances either side mustered up and the 20-year-old felt he could have done better.

"I had a good chance," he said. "It was a good save to be fair but I should be scoring really.

"I was just watching the game and the manager wanted someone supporting Emile [Heskey] quicker and getting in behind.

"I just thought I am going to gamble and you know Emile can hold it up and bring players in so it ended up brilliantly for me.

"I thought I was going to score but it was a good save."

The derby cauldron did not faze Bannan, who has previously played for Villa in the red-hot atmospheres of Vienna and Moscow.

"I don't really get nervous before the game, I just try to take it as another game really and just keep calm and keep going," he said.

"It is hard not to hear the fans and stuff but I just try to block them out and play my own game.

"So I didn't really get nervous or think about that really."

The 5ft 7in Scot provided one of the lighter moments of Sunday's clash when he went up for a header with the Premier League's tallest player - 6ft 8in Nikola Zigic.

Bannan joked: "I thought with fresh legs I could have got up there above him!

"I felt a little bit embarrassed when I jumped and the fans started laughing at me - but I had to give it a go!"

http://tinyurl.com/3xb5xku

I thought the lad did great when he came on yesterday. Always looking for the ball, didnt shirk anything and had that lovely curler

The jump with Zigic summed him up nicely. He knew he'd look silly but he didnt shirk it.

I like him and his fire - could be a good player.

I would say he is a good player already, whether he’s good enough for where we need to be or will develop to that level at Villa only time will tell. Whenever I ve seen him at youth level/Reserves like Albrighton he’s looked damned fine.

The Airdrie Messi! :lol:

I like the lad, he's got attitude and ability. He's got wonderful little twinkly-toes when on the ball, Messi-lite-esque. (I'm not saying he's as good as Messi, just similar int eh way the ball seems glued to his laces.)

Him trying to outjump Zigic was hilarious, and Barry, we were laughing with you, not at you!

Wow, he think he should have scored that chance he got?

He's putting pressure on himself to score shots from outside the box?

Amazing. It must really say something about his confidence in his own ability. And from what I've seen, I don't think it's misguided.

i agree the last two games he's had good chances but they're not guaranteed golas etc, but he really feels pissed about, i'd love him to be given a few games in the side in the centre - i think he can become a huge player for us and along with albright and maybe clark and hopefuul delfoneso will come good

Poor vs Burnley, good yesterday.

One little problem (no pun) I have, is that when he dribbles, he dribbles with the ball on the outside of his foot, just to me, seems easier for someone to make the tackle or him lose control.

Seems a strange complaint don't a lot of people do that?

I watch a fair bit of Barca and i seem to remember using the outside of his boot a lot.

Poor vs Burnley, good yesterday.

One little problem (no pun) I have, is that when he dribbles, he dribbles with the ball on the outside of his foot, just to me, seems easier for someone to make the tackle or him lose control.

Seems a strange complaint don't a lot of people do that?

I watch a fair bit of Barca and i seem to remember using the outside of his boot a lot.

No, but in a way that the ball doesn't stick to feet, it's more to the side, it seems out of control, as if he's scared of someone about to tackle him. It's hard to explain. I need video evidence... :lol:

No, but in a way that the ball doesn't stick to feet, it's more to the side, it seems out of control, as if he's scared of someone about to tackle him. It's hard to explain. I need video evidence... :lol:

Didn't seem to do him any harm when he came thro' two Noses in the CM at one point?