Barry Bannan

villianusa

Every interview i hear from him leads me to believe he didn't really like Mon.

He was in the majority there, and that includes some of the coaching staff amongst others at Bodymoor Heath. :winkold:

His methods got results though, so i assume its down to how he treats people.

I can honestly say from first hand experience of visiting bodymoor, that when he walked in through the door in the morning, an atmosphere walked in with him.

If you watch the extended highlights of Blackburn game on AVTV.... Sir Jack is commentating.

There's a few cameos of exceptional link up play between Bannan & Ashley Young.

According to Mr Woodward...apparently this has become evident on the training pitch - he mentions -

an almost telepathic understanding between the two players.

Sounded good to me!

I have a very simply but effective rule Julie, I don't listen anything that man says,

TBF he is getting better. Andy Blair, Tony Morley etc now co-commentate with him and it is improved, more professional..or am I just getting used to it???!! :shock:

OT I wasn't at the game on Wednesday, but Bannan & Ash's link up play looked good on the highlights, especially 2nd half.

So now we have Ashley Young, Barry Bannan and Stephen Ireland all in going for that attacking central midfield role. Whilst competition for places is good, it'd be nice if any of them were capable of playing the destructive holding player role, as without someone good in that position the attacking player will always struggle.

Something I'd really like to see against Burnley is Bannan in the Petrov role. Similar to the way the Spanish use small skillful deep lying midfielders I could really see Bannan as a little terrier yapping at the heels one second and the next spraying passes around. He'd need Reo Coker alongside him though.

Don't think it would quite work, just simply because we don't have the ball enough yet as a team or dominate games. At the moment, it's still 50/50, possibly more defending to attacking when Villa play, where as like Spain or say Barca have so much of the ball and so much going forward that being amazingly defensively isn't required because they know as a team they hunt the ball down and have it back pretty soon.

I like him though, hopefully he can have an impact this year, I'd probably guess more out wide than central.

Aston Villa winger Marc Albrighton says there's more to come from fellow youngster Barry Bannan.

Albrighton has been thoroughly impressed with Bannan's contribution to the claret and blue cause so far this season - and believes there's much more to come.

He told Villa's website: "I've played with Barry for a good few years and I think he's an unbelievable footballer.

"He's probably the best technical player at the club.

"It's good that he's finally getting the chance to prove that to all the fans and to all the people out there. Some of the things he does in training, you look at it and you think 'wow'.

"He's an unbelievable prospect for the future. If he keeps getting his chance he'll keep proving what a good job he can do for the club.

"He's a really exciting player. When he gets the ball he can do anything with it."

Not the best of sources but this has quotes.

http://tinyurl.com/38j88wj

He might be the best 'technical' player at the club, but he still has alot to prove. For me, Stephen Ireland and Ashley Young have proved their technique at the highest level and are streets ahead in that department, however should Barry get the opportunity I hope he proves to be as good as Marc bills him.

Aston Villa winger Marc Albrighton says there's more to come from fellow youngster Barry Bannan.

Albrighton has been thoroughly impressed with Bannan's contribution to the claret and blue cause so far this season - and believes there's much more to come.

He told Villa's website: "I've played with Barry for a good few years and I think he's an unbelievable footballer.

"He's probably the best technical player at the club.

"It's good that he's finally getting the chance to prove that to all the fans and to all the people out there. Some of the things he does in training, you look at it and you think 'wow'.

"He's an unbelievable prospect for the future. If he keeps getting his chance he'll keep proving what a good job he can do for the club.

"He's a really exciting player. When he gets the ball he can do anything with it."

Not the best of sources but this has quotes.

http://tinyurl.com/38j88wj

Those quotes are taken from the OS.

Bannan always looks good on the ball, has quick feet and appears to have an eye for a pass but I've never seen any evidence of him being an "unbelievable footballer".

Hopefully we'll get to see this side of him soon, as I think Houllier rates him highly.

Something I'd really like to see against Burnley is Bannan in the Petrov role. Similar to the way the Spanish use small skillful deep lying midfielders I could really see Bannan as a little terrier yapping at the heels one second and the next spraying passes around. He'd need Reo Coker alongside him though.

I wouldn't mind seeing this. Similar to the role that Delph played against Man U (h) last year in a three. Constant recycling of the ball and keeping us in possession. I think he would do this better than Stan as he has more energy and this would leave NRC to be the enforcer alongside.

GERARD Houllier has backed Barry Bannan to become a big Premier League star and likened him to Spain World Cup winners Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez.

The diminutive midfielder is enjoying a new lease of life under Houllier and has been involved in all of the new manager’s matchday squads since he took over.

Bannan played the whole of Houllier’s first victory over Blackburn and impressed as a late sub in the Tottenham loss after staying on the bench for the Wolves win.

And Houllier believes Bannan has the potential to go far in the game after being delighted with the 20-year-old playmaker’s early impact in the first team.

The compliment will be a major boost to Bannan ahead of an important few days for the Scotland Under-21 star.

If Bannan and the young Tartan Army can beat Iceland in a double-headed play-off they will qualify for the European Championships.

Scotland play away at the Laugardalsvöllur Stadium, in Reykjavík this evening before the return leg at Hibernian’s Easter Road in Edinburgh on Monday night.

Houllier is convinced Bannan’s slight 5ft 7in frame will not hold back the highly-rated left-footer after comparing him to two of Barcelona’s smallest superstars.

He believes Bannan more than makes up in creativity and commitment what he lacks in height. “The Premier League has got more physical but it is not about a matter of size,” said Houllier.

“Obviously you need size in some positions but it’s also a matter of commitment and physical commitment. Barry is competitive. It’s a matter of getting into it. He has that.”

Bannan’s claret and blue career looked to be over before it started after Martin O’Neill’s reluctance to use the Airdrie-born ball-player.

After giving Bannan his debut as a sub in the UEFA Cup defeat in Hamburg and his first start in the ill-fated loss to CSKA Moscow the season before last, O’Neill let him go out on loan.

He impressed at Derby and Blackpool and was braced for another temporary stint away from Villa Park.

But O’Neill’s exit paved the way for Bannan to make it into caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald’s team. He was handed a Premier League bow as a late sub in the opening day win over West Ham.

And he scored his first senior Villa in the draw at Rapid Vienna days later.

Asked whether Bannan can cut it in the top flight, Houllier replied: “Yes, definitely. I had players at other clubs who were the same size and had wonderful careers. The top level is about skill, intelligence and desire.

“He is an intelligent player, he can read the game well and adapt well. I don’t think Xavi and Iniesta, who are outstanding players, are of huge size. They are intelligent, they have the skill, they have the desire – young Barry has all of that.”

http://tinyurl.com/38zjqcr