Barry Bannan

villianusa

Why are people saying 'Whenever I've seen him play in the Prem....". He has played 5 minutes in the Premiership so how can you judge a player from that?

I'd like to see Bannan get a run out against Bolton, he deserves it if he scores a hatrick against Man Utd reserves. That is the kind of thing I want to see under Houllier. Good young players actually getting a chance to play. Why go out and pay £5 million for players like Sidwell who are on big wages when we could use our own youth players on much lower wages as they'd be content with just playing.

He looks good , hopefully he can actually get some game time, would much prefer him playing behind the striker to A.Young.

Based on what?

Very strange

Probably based on that age old philosophy that it makes sense to play players in the position that they have played all of their career. I know that this could seem strange after MON's reign!

There's also a philosophy that good players can adjust their position with relative ease. Andrea Pirlo was a striker when he was at Inter - he only became a midfielder in his mid-twenties. Look at Henry when he went to Arsenal too.

Just watched the highlights on AVTV and Bannan looked a class above. The first 2 goals were just sublime.

Ceiran Clark's goal was classy too, a top draw striker would have been proud of that.

Both of these players looked too good for the reserves, which is credit for letting step it up with the big boys.

Andrea Pirlo was a striker when he was at Inter - he only became a midfielder in his mid-twenties.

No he wasn't

He was an attacking midfielder, in a similar mould to Rui Costa but due to being slow, weak and not all that quick with the ball he was moved deeper by Ancelotti so his ability could dictate play without being pressed.

Andrea Pirlo was a striker when he was at Inter - he only became a midfielder in his mid-twenties.

No he wasn't

He was an attacking midfielder, in a similar mould to Rui Costa but due to being slow, weak and not all that quick with the ball he was moved deeper by Ancelotti so his ability could dictate play without being pressed.

Fair enough, but my point still stands as his role in the team was completely changed.

No he wasn't

Fair enough, but my point still stands as his role in the team was completely changed.

No he wasn't

No he wasn't

bannan looks very good, full of energy, good on the ball, only downside is his size, but then maradonna was a bit of a midget also

Time will tell!

I think Bannan will eventually move on because like Gary Cahill, he seems to want first team footballer sooner rather than later and it's unlikely in my opinion that he'll get it here. Just my take on it, however I do think he will develop into a good little player!

I think he'll eventually end up at Celtic - he and his family are big (not physically big y'understand) big Celtic fans. I think we might see a bit of him first or he might give it a go at another Premiership club, but I think he'll get to Celtic in the end. What's more, I think he'll be an absolute star up there.

If things go really well for him then he might play a decade of Premiership football first, but I'm convinced he'll play for Celtic at some point.

Time will tell!

I think Bannan will eventually move on because like Gary Cahill, he seems to want first team footballer sooner rather than later and it's unlikely in my opinion that he'll get it here. Just my take on it, however I do think he will develop into a good little player!

I would like to see him get some decent opportunities, say 30 minutes today for SI who is just back from injury (game permitting) but I wouldn't disagree, especially with Gary Gardner coming through.

always worth remembering how poor reserve team football is though. Osbourne and Salifou use to be world beaters at that level.

That's ironic because certain individuals in our first team look like a complete bag of shit. Correct me if I'm talking bollocks, but surely if you have lads who are tearing it up in the stiffs, and first teamers not contributing and out of form then they should be changing places. What incentive is there for these young lads if there is a brick wall between them and the first XI and no matter how well they train and play they will never get a chance?

Young Aston Villa winger Barry Bannan is a target for new Sheffield United boss Gary Speed, according to reports today.

The Blades are eyeing up a possible loan move for the 20-year-old as they look to improve their poor form in the Championship.

Bannan, who started Aston Villa’s Europa League match at Rapid Vienna in August, has previously spent time on loan at Derby in 2009 and Blackpool last season, helping Ian Holloway’s side win promotion to the Premier League.

He scored a hat-trick in Villa reserves 4-1 victory over Manchester United reserves in midweek.

http://tinyurl.com/2ufselg

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier will block Scottish midfielder Barry Bannan’s loan exit – until he gets the chance to see him in action.

Bannan is wanted by Sheffield United manager Gary Speed among others, notching a hat-trick for the reserves in front of eight Championship clubs last week.

However Houllier is keen to have a close look at Bannan before releasing him and he could feature in the Carling Cup tonight and stay while Villa are in the competition.

Clicky

I cant believe what I have just read...GH wants to look at Barry Bannan before he sends him of to Sheffield United on loan....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT GERRARD....He is one of the most upcoming players from the reserves.....Hat trick against Man U reserves the other night. Dont do it GH

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier will block Scottish midfielder Barry Bannan’s loan exit – until he gets the chance to see him in action.

Bannan is wanted by Sheffield United manager Gary Speed among others, notching a hat-trick for the reserves in front of eight Championship clubs last week.

However Houllier is keen to have a close look at Bannan before releasing him and he could feature in the Carling Cup tonight and stay while Villa are in the competition.

Clicky

I cant believe what I have just read...GH wants to look at Barry Bannan before he sends him of to Sheffield United on loan....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT GERRARD....He is one of the most upcoming players from the reserves.....Hat trick against Man U reserves the other night. Dont do it GH

Jesus Christ, WTF is Gerard playing at? Wanting to see a player play himself before he decides on his future? Thats not the way forward IMO.

:winkold: