The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

No english fan has thought England has a chance of winning anything for 50 years. We used to do that. But we used to have a team with an outside chance of doing something back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Nowadays I'd say it's the opposite. Most English fans are pessimistic about the national side.

Would you? I've not lived in the UK for 8 years now, so it's an impression I get from talking to my mates but the last few tournaments we've qualified really strongly (Capello more than Hodgson obviously) and confidence has been high. Not my confidence as you can see by alterations above ;)

No. No-one thought we had a chance at Euro 2012 or World Cup 2010. I don't care how strong we qualified.

We weren't a Euro 2008. World Cup 2006 I can't remember being particularly optimistic.

2004 was the last time I remember any optimism. And had we won that penalty shootout we'd have had a genuine chance at winning that tournament.

So as for your alterations, the 50 years thing, I said England fans haven't expected England to win anything for the last 10 years. Not that we haven't won anything. So not sure of your point.

And your second edit, yeah we weren't great, but that Euro 2004 team could have won that tournament. We were capable. An outside chance, but that's the last time I think England had any sort of chance of winning anything.

If you have a choice between Ireland and England, nobody can seriously argue England is the better choice - unless your considerations are purely financial. that is, better sponsorship money because England have 40 million fans while Ireland have 40 guys in a pub drinking Guinness after a hard day sheep shearing.(apologies for unimaginative stereotyping).

Ireland have a good record getting to world cup finals and happy fans with expectations so low they are always exceeded. England have not much better record getting to recent finals than Ireland, but have stupid fans who thin England's going to win. since England have never shown any technical ability to compete beyond the quarter-final stages at the Worlds or Euros, England and English media has got to be a chore if you want to enjoy your life (and are not obsessed about money). ]

I forgot to add the conclusion: if I was eligible for Ireland or Wales or Scotland as well as England I would play for Ireland rather than England and the current Welsh team, that has Gareth Bale etc. That would be much more fun than playing for England.

Con are you from Carrickfergus?

No english fan has thought England has a chance of winning anything for 50 years. We used to do that. But we used to have a team with an outside chance of doing something back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Nowadays I'd say it's the opposite. Most English fans are pessimistic about the national side.

Would you? I've not lived in the UK for 8 years now, so it's an impression I get from talking to my mates but the last few tournaments we've qualified really strongly (Capello more than Hodgson obviously) and confidence has been high. Not my confidence as you can see by alterations above ;)

No. No-one thought we had a chance at Euro 2012 or World Cup 2010. I don't care how strong we qualified.

We weren't a Euro 2008. World Cup 2006 I can't remember being particularly optimistic.

2004 was the last time I remember any optimism. And had we won that penalty shootout we'd have had a genuine chance at winning that tournament.

So as for your alterations, the 50 years thing, I said England fans haven't expected England to win anything for the last 10 years. Not that we haven't won anything. So not sure of your point.

And your second edit, yeah we weren't great, but that Euro 2004 team could have won that tournament. We were capable. An outside chance, but that's the last time I think England had any sort of chance of winning anything.

I've never been convinced, not even 2004, just too one dimensional and limited. Only time I think we had a genuine chance and watched it die was when Waddle's shot somehow came back out off the inside of the post int eh semi against Germany. Had that gone in I think we might have done it. Soz, wasn't trying to be picky, I didn't rate any of the "golden generation" sides as being top tier at all. Would have had to have been really lucky and got a good team on a bad day.

Just that from over here, I always see stories in the press hinting at how we'd qualified so strongly and were one of the favourites etc.

Off topic though :)

On topic, JG hasn't got a squad number right? so it looks like PL sees him as Development squad this year or off to get seom first team experience elsewhere?

Anyway back to Grealish? Squad number soon then?

Lambert has been very careful in his press conferences to point out that these youngsters are 'development for a reason' so I don't think we'll see much of Grealish barring injuries. He's clearly a talent though and you can't keep talent down for too long.

Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Ben Davies

All players aged 17/18 who made their bow in the PL last season and looked good.

With Grealish looking good in pre-season then he should be playing this season regardless of his age.

Sterling isnt far from that age either

Agreed. The only thing to watch with a player that age is stamina, not so much within a match but over the course of a season. Sterling in particular found the pace too much beyond Christmas and Brenton basically said as much. Although his is a particularly high-octane style of play that lends itself to burn-out. Shaw was very impressive though. Can't see him staying with them for long.

well Sterling started fading when I signed him for my fantasy team :) though it didnt help his cause that Liverpool were a bit dependent on him during that period as except Suarez they had nothing threatening up top.

at least here Grealish can be given 15-20 minutes here and there to blend in and adapt

Yeah, 'plop's circumstances worked for and against him. It propelled him into the limelight and then put an enormous amount of responsibility on his shoulders. Surely based on this pre-season, Jack will get a squad number because I'd be amazed if he wasn't at least being considered for a few sub appearances off the back of it.

I thought you didn't need a squad number if you were under 21?

You are not declared as part of your '25 man squad' but you still need a number on your back in order to go onto the pitch. Okore is number 5 but doesn't have to be declared as part of 'the 25'.
  • Like 2

I've never been convinced, not even 2004, just too one dimensional and limited. Only time I think we had a genuine chance and watched it die was when Waddle's shot somehow came back out off the inside of the post int eh semi against Germany. Had that gone in I think we might have done it. Soz, wasn't trying to be picky, I didn't rate any of the "golden generation" sides as being top tier at all. Would have had to have been really lucky and got a good team on a bad day.

Just that from over here, I always see stories in the press hinting at how we'd qualified so strongly and were one of the favourites etc.

Oh I'm not saying anyone was "convinced". Just that the 2004 team, for example, could have won if things went their way. We weren't favourites or even close. But something as small as Rooney not getting injured and we could (COULD) have won that tournament. That's all I'm saying. Whereas beyond that I don't think we've ever had a chance.

I don't know where you're seeing those stories about us being favourites. Certainly not in the recent past in the English media. As I said, it's been the opposite lately.

not saying there hasn't been blindly optimistic press, but certainly not press expecting to win or calling us favourites.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, on topic.

Chuffed JG has chosen Ireland, chuffed he's doing so well for us, and hugely excited to see him come through the ranks. His potential is high.

His brother's a bit of a cock though... :ph34r:;)

Think he will probably be loaned out this season - if not for the entire season then at least part of it. Has showed up well but probably needs to be playing first-team football on a weekly basis to bring his game on to the level required and that would perhaps be more beneficial for him. Would suggest he will move to League One club before the end of the window.

Thanks HH.. Here's to Walsall as previously said

Think he will probably be loaned out this season - if not for the entire season then at least part of it. Has showed up well but probably needs to be playing first-team football on a weekly basis to bring his game on to the level required and that would perhaps be more beneficial for him. Would suggest he will move to League One club before the end of the window.

not been round here long but i've already decided any suggestions you make should be considered gospel

Thank you Hairyhands.

mother of god.

HH strikes again!

Hope he goes to a decent League One side that play passing football! 

Â