The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Okonokos said:

He just is though. He just is.

If the tactic that we want to play is mings long over the top of the full back for the LW to run on to the ball then grealish is not our best player 

Sterling is better suited to southgates tactics 

I'll happily accept that southgates tactics are shit... But the way we set up grealish is down the pecking order behind Sterling and Rashford 

The thing will be will Southgate change his tactics to play Scotland who you would think would be more compact at the back in which case grealish then becomes better than sterling but I'm not sure we will change our tactics 

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

is it stubbornness do we think? he gets talked about so much in the media etc is it a case of "i'm not playing him cause it will only look like i'm just doing it because i was told to?"

you don't see many interviews with the likes of mount/rashford/sancho do you. but he's getting a lot of media airtime.

He's a superstar in a way the others aren't.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Thats fine, if that were the strategy but there is no way Southgate is holding him back for the bigger matches. He just doesn't want to play him.

Gareth has a system, a boring one, which he wants to win the Euros with. He has his favourite players to execute that plan. He is risk averse. I'm not saying it won't work or that it will never be good to watch but it's very safe and not particularly dynamic. Unfortunately for Jack his maverick style doesn't compute with Gareth, no doubt it fries his brain, and so I think he sees him mainly as a get out of jail card for when his system is failing. I'm actually OK with that but only as long as he gets a fair crack that his talent deserves. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

Gareth has a system, a boring one, which he wants to win the Euros with. He has his favourite players to execute that plan. He is risk averse. I'm not saying it won't work or that it will never be good to watch but it's very safe and not particularly dynamic. Unfortunately for Jack his maverick style doesn't compute with Gareth, no doubt it fries his brain, and so I think he sees him mainly as a get out of jail card for when his system is failing. I'm actually OK with that but only as long as he gets a fair crack that his talent deserves. 

That shows how poor his judgement is then. If his tactics are to play safe then he needs to play Grealish. Name one player in the England squad who can keep the ball better and win free kicks as easily as Grealish. Surely having that in your squad is safer than Sterling the headless chicken who looks like he's about to trip over the ball when he has it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

It’s fun going off at Southgate but this is pretty much it. I don’t think he has any personal issues with Jack or with Villa to the extent he’d make any decisions based of it, I think he just gets annoyed when his dull as dishwater conservative approach gets criticised, because it just about does the job most the time, which is success in his eyes.

• Like 2

Southgate after Jack wins MOTM yet again tonight:

"Well first of all I thought on his first game back Harry Maguire was outstanding, considering his lack of match fitness. Jack played well, but you have to consider the level of opposition he has played against. He's not yet proved it against top opposition in an international tournament. Raheem did it tonight, but he was also superb against Croatia with his 7.4% pass completion. That's the level Jack needs to look to get to."

;)

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Your problem there is the belief that grealish is our best player

That's pure opinion, he's not done anything for England yet, certainly nothing to justify the best player tag

Southgate not giving him the opportunity to earn it is another thing... 

Comfortably our best player and I can say that without hesitation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

That shows how poor his judgement is then. If his tactics are to play safe then he needs to play Grealish. Name one player in the England squad who can keep the ball better and win free kicks as easily as Grealish. Surely having that in your squad is safer than Sterling the headless chicken who looks like he's about to trip over the ball when he has it?

Oh I absolutely agree with you. If you've got the ball the other team can't hurt you and we all know there is not a single player better at it than Jack who protects the ball and moves it upfield... or executes a brilliant one two and then bursts into the box for an assist or penalty. Trouble is I just don't think Gareth likes that style. He wants his players to be passing it constantly (even if sideways or backwards) and not keeping hold of it like Jack does. It sucks for entertainment value and makes us hurty as Jack fanboys/girls but what can you do lol

Also dont want to fall into trap of ignoring other exciting players in the squad who could potentially have the handbrake taken off too, it's just that I think Jack is better than all of them haha

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unless... (just being devil's advocate here) he was told that he was going to be Jack's replacement and we would build the team around him. Not a supporting actor, but the new star. 

Probably not, but who knows? 

but I've watched a lot of videos of him and he doesnt have the arrogance needed for that like Ibrahimović or Ronaldo type player.  He seems to be a player that wants to play football, be part of a group of other quality players.  He knew he had that star thing at Norwich and could've stopped there, already being a hero and while at Villa it is a step up, we have seen that people outside the club currently dont see us marginally better than Norwich or enough to warrant Buendia coming here.  After listening to a lot of his interviews, the kid wants to play with better players and keep growing and I think he could've got that at Villa or Arsenal and if he knew we were selling Grealish then we may not have looked as tempting.  I think the project including Jack was sold to him and that's what brought him here more than a chance to be the star and a team built around him.  It also fits with the players we have brought in....quality without doubt but do you notice the attitude of the players, they are not about themselves but about the group.  They have massive ambitions but as a group and they are all nice people from Jack, Ollie, Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash.....you keep going through the team.  There isnt a player there that when I was their age I wouldnt want to hang out with for drink where you cant say that looking at most other clubs.

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

I hope it's just nerves and believing too much crollox on social media but I'm concerned we are actually prepping for Jack to leave. Has a familiar feel to it. 

Please convince me I'm wrong 🙄

Pull Yourself Together GIF by Shark Week

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, birdman said:

I am inclined to feel the same.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Southgate after Jack wins MOTM yet again tonight:

"Well first of all I thought on his first game back Harry Maguire was outstanding, considering his lack of match fitness. Jack played well, but you have to consider the level of opposition he has played against. He's not yet proved it against top opposition in an international tournament. Raheem did it tonight, but he was also superb against Croatia with his 7.4% pass completion. That's the level Jack needs to look to get to."

;)

In fairness to Southgate, Jack’s pass completion rate against Croatia was a terrible 0.0%. I’m sure Gareth will take that into consideration when not choosing Jack to start again.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

I hope it's just nerves and believing too much crollox on social media but I'm concerned we are actually prepping for Jack to leave. Has a familiar feel to it. 

Please convince me I'm wrong 🙄

I don't feel that at all....I think Jack is our recruiting Sargeant.

They all want to play alongside him.....It is most likely every new player we sign is asking "Is Jack Staying"

He has signed a 5 year deal, surely it would have been shorter, if he had eyes on leaving.

There has never been any doubt of Jacks feeling for the club, my suspicion is Jack is as intrigued as us as to who NSWE are going to bring in.....The project is too exciting to leave.

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

In fairness to Southgate, Jack’s pass completion rate against Croatia was a terrible 0.0%. I’m sure Gareth will take that into consideration when not choosing Jack to start again.

I have to agree, Anonymous, in fact invisible....he has to pull his socks up, to get in to this team....then he can let his hair down.

On a serious note.....I think Cesc Fabregas is right, Jack is deemed more important, coming off the bench...its paradoxical, but true.

• Like 1

Â