The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Jack drawing so many fouls was instrumental in us holding that lead against stoke imo

And also relieving pressure against Hull. With the way he plays I think him and Benteke would link well as both very intelligent footballers.

Yeah, based on the intelligence factor, and considering they're the only 3 players capable of moving and using empty space properly, Jack, Benteke and Wiemann in a front 3 with Jack in behind the two guys would probably be our best bet. Jack needs game time before that's even a real consideration though.

If you've got no players with the ability to play wide why bother playing with 2 of them stuck out wide to begin with, you're only causing yourself even more problems that way. If we're going to play narrow, do it with the players who can actually make something from it

• Like 1

Yeah, based on the intelligence factor, and considering they're the only 3 players capable of moving and using empty space properly, Jack, Benteke and Wiemann in a front 3 with Jack in behind the two guys would probably be our best bet. Jack needs game time before that's even a real consideration though.

If you've got no players with the ability to play wide why bother playing with 2 of them stuck out wide to begin with, you're only causing yourself even more problems that way. If we're going to play narrow, do it with the players who can actually make something from it

I'd love to see this - irrespective of Jack's game time.  We're just desperately lacking in the final third/creating chances (i.e: against Q.P.R., we had so much of the ball that we should have created at least one great chance) and having two up top with one creative player behind seems a sensible shout.

Sometimes bringing in a "new" player can give everyone a boost and/or a kick up the arse.  Maybe Jack would provide both of these things; maybe he'd provide neither.  Either way, worth a shot right now for me.

• Like 2

The thing about playing like that, too, means that one of Benteke and Andi could drop back a little when needed for the easy ball from Jack or another midfielder. If all 3 of them are more fluid than the usual static approach we take, you'd potentially cause problems for the defence. Of course, for them to become fluid like that, they need to play together, a lot, so initially you'd run into the issue of nobody knowing really what the other is doing, and we'd have people on their back pretty fast, but for my money, and if I was involved in coaching Villa, those 3 would be training together, very specifically, every single day working on their movement, creating a repertoire of runs and and learning to know where the other 2 are at any given time, in any given area of the pitch.

Will that happen,  though? Unlikely.

Also, I have no coaching qualifications, so, in fairness, I have no actual idea of the ins and outs of making it happen, or the reasons why it possibly shouldn't. But like seems to be a regular theme in threads here lately, the adage that "it can't be any worse than what we're seeing right now" rings true

4 at the back (ideally Cissokho, Senderos, Vlaar, Hutton). 3 in a flat midfield (given Delph's injury, probably Sanchez, Cleverley, Westwood - you'd be looking at something that'd be solid and functional more than attacking or creative, and that's pretty much what those 3 guys offer). jack linking up play. andi and christian up top.

On paper, and in my head, it's very straightforward

• Like 3

How a player who looks likely to do something everytime he touches the ball is not able to get into, at the very least, a matchday squad of a team who fail to create a decent goalscoring opportunity in over 300 odd minutes of football is beyond me. 

Not that I don't want to see him in the team, because I do.

But, he's never looked "likely to do something everytime he touches the ball" for the first team.

He's got huge potential but I think people are jumping the gun if they're expecting him to be ready at this stage. He might be, but I'm worried we're all expecting too much.

• Like 2

How a player who looks likely to do something everytime he touches the ball is not able to get into, at the very least, a matchday squad of a team who fail to create a decent goalscoring opportunity in over 300 odd minutes of football is beyond me. 

Not that I don't want to see him in the team, because I do.

But, he's never looked "likely to do something everytime he touches the ball" for the first team.

He's got huge potential but I think people are jumping the gun if they're expecting him to be ready at this stage. He might be, but I'm worried we're all expecting too much.

Depends what people's expectations really are though. For me it's expecting someone who's got some creativity in his locker, is smart on the ball, and knows how to play teammates in. That's something we can't offer right now, and unless N'zogbia remembers how to play football properly or Cole finds the fountain of youth, Jack is the only one in the team that might be able to do that.

I don't disagree with that.

All I'm saying is in his brief spell in the first team he hasn't looked ready, imo, to impact the team a huge amount.

My worry is he'll come in, do fine, but won't meet the huge expectation around him, which is only getting worse due to Salifou Syndrome.

By the time he actually gets into the team properly we'll be expecting him to be Messi and it'll all be a disappointment.

Yeah, my main expectation is that he's a fairly raw talent and would freshen up our team.  I don't expect him to be pulling up trees straight away - getting used to the pace of the Premier League apparently takes time too - but he'd offer something different in our side; a dribbling ability.  Not enough of our players (maybe Delph aside?) actually dribble with the ball.

The longer we wait to start actually playing him, though, the longer it'll take before he's up to speed and good to go at full tilt in the league. Not picking him or bringing him on doesn't really help us or him, short, medium or long term. I'm not for throwing him in with the weight of the world on his shoulders and expecting him to be some kind of gift to football, but he'll learn more on the pitch than he will on the bench

I'd like to see him playing as the left sided front man starting a bit wider than Gabby does when he's out there and pushing Cleverley towards the centre. This would hopefully mean better service to Benteke and help out Aly when going forward. A formation like this:-

Guzan

Hutton                             Senderos                                                Vlaar                       Cissoko

Sanchez

Westwood                                                  Cleverley

N'Zogbia                                                                                                Grealish

Benteke

could he have done any worse than Agbonlahor. We had all possesion and just needed players that could beat a man or deliver a good cross or even pass forward

Unfortunately, these are three things that I saw Jack rarely attempt in his first team appearances for us. Though I'm not Lambert's biggest fan right now (who is?!), I don't think Grealish is ready to provide the spark that we want him to. He needs game time, but I don't think he should be starting just yet.

In saying that its hard to judge a player who has only played 98 mins over 4 games.  Be barely warmed up when the game would be over.  And for them 10 mins against stoke he has done as much as Wienman has since last Christmas.

Considering Weimann got the winner against Stoke.

So you think Weinmann should be on before Grealish at the moment then?

Yes, but as a number 10 behind Benteke.

Weimann is one of our more effective players.

Bobzy - that is the position he played practically all the way through his youth career and a season at Notts County on loan.

I'm making an assumption here but I'd guess that was the basis Delboy used.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Whether people think he's ready or not, one inarguable fact is that he won't improve at all whilst sat on the bench

But by that logic neither will anybody who isn't currently in the first team squad.

It MIGHT be that playing in u21 games or going on loan is the best thing.

Again, I would like to see him in the team, but the logic of "we'll never know unless he's given a chance" doesn't really stand up. You could use that argument for anyone in the youth team.

• Like 1

I've been thinking, what with Notts doing so well this year, that if Grealish isn't going to feature would people be against him going back to Notts in January?

In a hypothetical situation where he's unlikely to play for us

I've been thinking, what with Notts doing so well this year, that if Grealish isn't going to feature would people be against him going back to Notts in January?

In a hypothetical situation where he's unlikely to play for us

Championship for me, he's performed at that level. He needs to be challenged.

Â