The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If he ends up back here something will have gone badly wrong here.

He is on the down we are on the up.

And his off the field antics are absolute peek cringe. 

Maybe it's my age but I wish Villa fans would just forget about him the way he forgot about us.

He's 28. Last year he was an integral part of a treble winning team.

This year he's found himself on the bench at one of the best teams in the world.

Why do people keep talking like he's a 37 year old journeyman whose legs have gone? :)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Don't matter what any of us think it's what The Don wants.  If he sees him as another piece of the Jigsaw that takes us to the next level then so be it.

Those low block teams we struggle against it's about moving them about to get the gaps to score.

In Unai we trust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

It seemed to me that Guardiola wanted to sign Grealish not out of a need, but so that no other club could sign him. A preventative signing of a player who was never going to fit in and thrive week to week over the duration of his contract. The whole thing is an insult to football fans who have been robbed of the joy of watching an absolute fantasist of a footballer playing to his own strengths like he did at Villa. It was sad to see Jack leave, but ever sadder that he left for Manchester City. Any other club and the world would've seen what we saw. As is, the world is left wondering what the big fuss was all about. 

A lot of it is down to Grealish as well. Great players have thrived at City. He's got a great life and enjoys being a good time Charlie. I guess he's not thst bothered anymore.  28 he's still got plenty of time left in his career though. 

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A lot of it is down to Grealish as well. Great players have thrived at City. He's got a great life and enjoys being a good time Charlie. I guess he's not thst bothered anymore.  28 he's still got plenty of time left in his career though. 

I dont think anyone knows how long he has left in his career.  For most players I'd say they have plenty of time left, but for a Grealish type, I'd be concerned.

His regular shin issues won't get better with age, and have already seen him miss weeks in recent years. Unless these were just cover for his rehab stays, which raises a whole different issue, I'd be loathe to spend any money on him, let alone the monstrous contract he'd want.

Then go on to what we do know about his lifestyle and it doesn't align with that of most professional footballers that carry on playing into their late 30s. It does align with those that fall off a cliff when they hit 30 (God excepted).

Yes, there's every chance he does carry on playing at the top for another 5+ years, but it's a gamble I'd not want us to take. We don't need to take those kind of gambles with where we are now.

I'm pretty sure he will play a significant part for them til the end of the season like last year.  If he played as many minutes as he did with us then his shins would be reduced to rubble by February but the way they've used him, he should be quite fresh.

He'd improve our first 11 and he'd improve our squad.

Would have him back in a heartbeat if it was remotely viable which I suspect it wouldn't be. 

Not even sure he'd want to come back tbh. If he's in a position where we could get him, plenty of other teams would be interested too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

He's better than Ramsey and Zaniolo, so if we had a chance to sign him for a reasonable package, why wouldn't we? Because he made some Villa fans sad a few years ago?

Yeah, pretty much…

Any other player does it - I can understand - you’re a well paid mercenary  (see Ashley Young)

but he was supposed to be one of us…

Lied to the fans who were asking him if he was staying, kept them thinking he was going to stay so they bought the new kit with his name on, **** off, compared his leaving to Messi leaving Barcelona, went to the media to cry about how he “really wanted to come back for the West Ham game” but didn’t because he didn’t know how he would be received (bearing in mind Albrighton and Smith were both sacked by the club yet continue to come to show their support on their days off), dived against us…

what else does “Mr Aston Villa” “Still just Jack the Aston Villa fan from Solihull” expect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We wouldn't be where we are now without the £100m his sale gave us. If he wanted to come back and was the right deal for us and Emery wanted him then the majority of fans would forget any perceived slight against us the moment he scored his first goal, just like A Young, who dived for a penalty and then kissed the manure badge on his return. When he come back he was widely liked. 

To fans it's a game to footballers its a profession and a short one,  they have to maximise their opportunities while they have chance. I would welcome him back home. VTID

He's a student of Agbonlahor, he'd absolutely destroy team harmony and be a bad influence for the younger players. I loved him when he was here last time but he shouldn't be anywhere near this club in 2024. We should be finding the next Grealish and surrounding him with good role models and professionals.

50 minutes ago, AOLMessenger said:

He's a student of Agbonlahor, he'd absolutely destroy team harmony and be a bad influence for the younger players. I loved him when he was here last time but he shouldn't be anywhere near this club in 2024. We should be finding the next Grealish and surrounding him with good role models and professionals.

Wasn't much team harmony last night. I'd have him back like a shot. 

1 hour ago, AOLMessenger said:

He's a student of Agbonlahor, he'd absolutely destroy team harmony and be a bad influence for the younger players.

I mean this is just a straight up lie

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tinker said:

We wouldn't be where we are now without the £100m his sale gave us. If he wanted to come back and was the right deal for us and Emery wanted him then the majority of fans would forget any perceived slight against us the moment he scored his first goal, just like A Young, who dived for a penalty and then kissed the manure badge on his return. When he come back he was widely liked. 

To fans it's a game to footballers its a profession and a short one,  they have to maximise their opportunities while they have chance. I would welcome him back home. VTID

Yep we'd have massively breach FFP without raising a shit load of sales elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AOLMessenger said:

He's a student of Agbonlahor, he'd absolutely destroy team harmony and be a bad influence for the younger players.

This is utter garbage. He's not a bad team man and he never has been. He was our captain.

On 07/02/2024 at 17:36, Keyblade said:

He's better than Ramsey and Zaniolo, so if we had a chance to sign him for a reasonable package, why wouldn't we? Because he made some Villa fans sad a few years ago?

because of the mental side of football

not doubting for a minute that his ability to kick a football would still be there but where his head would be would be anyone's guess

how many 100% performances do you think we would see from him? and not just games but training day in day out, how professional would he actually be on his return? to me its a huge risk

you don't go back, it wont be the same

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

because of the mental side of football

not doubting for a minute that his ability to kick a football would still be there but where his head would be would be anyone's guess

how many 100% performances do you think we would see from him? and not just games but training day in day out, how professional would he actually be on his return? to me its a huge risk

you don't go back, it wont be the same

What difference would it make if he went to Newcastle vs Villa? He wouldn't stay at City forever, if anything coming back to Villa you would think would give him more vigor to perform than any other club.

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What difference would it make if he went to Newcastle vs Villa? He wouldn't stay at City forever, if anything coming back to Villa you would think would give him more vigor to perform than any other club.

Nah I disagree I actually think it's the opposite as that's not how humans work 

To me youre more likely to sink in to old habits if you go back but more likely to acknowledge your failures and seek improvement if you go somewhere completely fresh 

Said before id liken it to cheating on your missus being a lad about town, eventually leaving her for a blonde bombshell, bombshell doesn't work out, if you go back to your ex you won't acknowledge yourself as being a word removed and the perceived weakness would not be on you and you'd soon just sink back in to being a lad about town, whereas if you got yourself a new missus even if she wasn't as good as the ex you're more likely to acknowledge the **** up and make a proper go at it to sort yourself out 

That to me can be applied to Jack and where he ends up next, the danger is that coming back to villa will not mature him in the way that he seemingly still needs, he would stroll in to VP with a disregard for needing to earn his place or the respect of others and I dont think that's a good thing for someone like Grealish 

Â