The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But that's because pep is the best manager in the world 

I don’t disagree but I would love to see how he’d do, not at one of the best clubs like he’s had at all his clubs with money but at a midtable team with not the elite resources he’s always had at his disposal.  It would be good to see how he copes with adverse issues and players not able to everything he needs them to do.  He may thrive as he does but it’s a slightly different skill set.  That would have him up there with the real greats throughout history if he could do that.

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t disagree but I would love to see how he’d do, not at one of the best clubs like he’s had at all his clubs with money but at a midtable team with not the elite resources he’s always had at his disposal.  It would be good to see how he copes with adverse issues and players not able to everything he needs them to do.  

Yeah, but that can't happen, exactly because he is the best.

That's like saying "I wonder if Di Caprio is really that good, I never saw him in a Belarusian romantic comedy" or "Lewis Hamilton really isn't that prolific behind the wheel of a Kia"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's like saying "I wonder if Di Caprio is really that good, I never saw him in a Belarusian romantic comedy" or "Lewis Hamilton really isn't that prolific behind the wheel of a Kia"

I know, I know.

That’s why I struggle to put him with the greats in my mind.  I know that’s wrong by me but we can see Caprio before he was really famous and Hamilton pre Formula One level, whereas Pep essentially did one season with Barca B team, then the rest of the time being at the best team in each of the leagues.  

He’s the best manager in the league along with Klopp for me.  He’s brilliant with elite players and can do what most can’t with overpaid, young, highly talented squads.  So many managers fail for whatever reason to do that when in those roles but he does.  

Just to put him with the greatest managers ever, not ever seeing him when you don’t have all that and the issues that come with it, is difficult.

I love watching Man City play. I hate how good they are but the football is class. Jack looks shit because his off the ball movement is shocking. It can’t be an instruction because every other wide player in the team spins the defender and makes those runs for the diagonal over the top. Jack just doesn’t know how to do it  as he’s never had to before. He’s used to just coming to the ball.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It is interesting because despite Chelsea having gone through the same period of becoming mega rich and buying titles, they never felt soulless like this. I think at this point it's Pep's influence. His style of rotating footballing robots who are individually meaningless makes them boring. Chelsea had some incredible teams but in those teams they had big characters like Drogba, Lampard and Terry. 

@HanoiVillan made a great point that Aguero and Silva were a bit different because they dragged them to their first title before they had established themselves as the big dogs in the league. 

I’ve always thought a big difference is that Chelsea developed and retained a much better sense of identity than city. That started with terry and lampard being the soul of the team and arguably bolstered by mainstay big individual personalities who came to define the club and its culture- Cech and drogba and others. Arguably mourinho as well. They still retained a sense (albeit less so now) that it wasn’t all just money or even trophies but also Chelsea itself as a club that they were fighting for

I just don’t see the same sense of identity with city- they’re basically a bunch of mercenaries as far as I can see

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Another way of making the OP’s same point though is can he do it without a ton of cash to spend. Guardiola did it this way with Barca but benefitted from a set of unbelievably gifted academy players including the best player in the world so was pretty lucky.

if I were a PL chairman and my money was at risk I’d prefer Klopp to guardiola because he can achieve the same success on a more reasonable budget.

Guardiola has spent a simply astonishing amount of money even by city’s standards and we should never forget that- in every position he’s got two c£50m players at his disposal. How much did salah and mane cost Liverpool? Less than 50m between them? What about Robertson? £8m? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Another way of making the OP’s same point though is can he do it without a ton of cash to spend. Guardiola did it this way with Barca but benefitted from a set of unbelievably gifted academy players including the best player in the world so was pretty lucky.

if I were a PL chairman and my money was at risk I’d prefer Klopp to guardiola because he can achieve the same success on a more reasonable budget.

Guardiola has spent a simply astonishing amount of money even by city’s standards and we should never forget that- in every position he’s got two c£50m players at his disposal. How much did salah and mane cost Liverpool? Less than 50m between them? What about Robertson? £8m? 

He has the money at Man City though. If you have it, you are not going to deliberately not spend it.

20 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Essentially that's true. His Barcelona team were also monotonously boring and won everything comfortably.

Though I'm sure there's a pretty big element sour grapes from the rest of us in it. I reckon we'd all be pretty happy if we were Barcelona fans watching our team under him a few years ago or City fans today.

It's easier for us to leave our allegiances behind and acknowledge the success when it's an underdog story like Leicester than it is to get past the feeling of inevitability his teams produce. 

His Barcelona team were monotonously boring? You might need to find another sport to follow!

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

His Barcelona team were monotonously boring? You might need to find another sport to follow!

I guess everything's a matter of opinion. I hated tiki-taka with the thousand short passes back and forth and was pretty happy when that trend went out 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

He has the money at Man City though. If you have it, you are not going to deliberately not spend it.

True-  I’m not saying guardiola can’t do it without superstars who’d cost a ton of cash. I’m saying that he’s unproven in that respect whereas alternatives such as Klopp are 

• Like 2

I think the way citeh play is impressive when it leads to a great goal or almost one. It is the most profitable way to play but you need very advanced players that have the concentration and control, let alone all-round technical ability to be able to pull it off week in week out. 

When they smash a team 5-0 it probably is a good watch for the neutral fan, as for me, I cannot stand them, who they are and how they operate behind the scenes.

I like some of their passages of play and a few of their players, the rest of it couldn't go back to the mediocrity they ce from quick enough.

Edited by Phil Silvers

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I guess everything's a matter of opinion. I hated tiki-taka with the thousand short passes back and forth and was pretty happy when that trend went out 😅

The highlights were good to watch, who doesn’t love watching twenty five passes and Messi with a great finish. Watching them for 90 minutes did get tedious as they were robotic. Centre halves passing it ten yards to each other over and again and all that... not for me either. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I like some of their passages of play and a few of their players, the rest of it couldn't go back to the mediocrity they ce from quick enough.

That's the weird thing for me with city, I've got some much apathy for what they are and football in general that I don't really like any of their players, even the great ones like silva, toure, aguero, KDB etc I don't even appreciate them let alone like them, they're nothing players to me

Compare that to the heydays of wengers arsenal and then barca in the 00s and I loved those players and could watch them all day 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

They weren't boring but they had so much attacking weapons including that little Argentinian guy. He tried similar at Bayern and City and its boring to watch and not effective in Europe 

Just now, DCJonah said:

He just doesn't look the same player 

Just looks like he’s been told to not do the stuff he’s actually excels at.  Just don’t understand why they brought him if they are going to restrict him.

Â