The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 hours ago, useless said:

He's made fourteen appearance in the league and five appearances in the champions league, he's been rotated over Christmas, but he's hardly struggling for game time, he's played more than Phil Foden this season, and probably more than a lot of their other big name players as well.

At £100 million you’d hope he’d have played the most!

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yet Grealish has managed what. 1 goal in 11 games or so for England?

Frame it however you want.

One goal, five assists and five MOTMs in 10 starts?

One goal in 18 caps?

Does it matter who scores the goals? Or the team winning?

If Grealish played at the Euros instead of Sterling, England win it. Easy peasy.

Anyone that thinks sterling is a better player is welcome to their incorrect opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Frame it however you want.

One goal, five assists and five MOTMs in 10 starts?

One goal in 18 caps?

Does it matter who scores the goals? Or the team winning?

If Grealish played at the Euros instead of Sterling, England win it. Easy peasy.

Anyone that thinks sterling is a better player is welcome to their incorrect opinion.

Then why isn't Grealish getting in City?

Pep is an incompetent coach? :) 

De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo, Foden, Gundogan, Rodri, Mahrez, Zinchenko and Fernandinho, and until recently Torres might be included, all are players who will need minutes at one point or another. All are more or less capable of delivering the standard City expects in their respective positions, and all will need to play to retain their value in the market if their value is no longer in playing for City as first choice. 

Grealish is one of the best players in the world, no doubt about it, however his main asset I would say is his ability to drive forward with the ball at his feet and to unlock the defence with the weight of his passes, there's not many if any better than him at that right now.

City's build up often has their opponents lines so deep in defence that City need intricate one twos and flick ons or crafty lobs to play someone in and find space for an attempt inside the box. This way of playing is fairly new to Grealish, whereas Bernardo, Sterling and KDB have been at it for a while now, and together in their set-up. 

Grealish has done excellent to integrate and I'm sure he will kick on and find his way to work alongside the other world class players around him, while making his own mark within the team and on the league. His best is yet to come, it's just whether he stays driven and motivated to bring it about, which I have no doubt he will. He'll more than likely be a champion by seasons end. And I'm sure having left us, his dream come true, he will have in his mind that it wasn't for a ticket to glory by other players efforts, he will want to know that he earned that silverware by his best efforts week in and week out as an integral member of the match day XI.

As for Grealish va Sterling..

Sterling has been given the opportunity to play among the best at the highest level since he was a teenager. He was ushered in and given the VIP treatment to ensure his prodigious abilities would hold the value promised and the investment made a worthwhile return.

To be fair to him he took the opportunity on with killer instincts and he has always played the game with an intent, incision and directness on the ball that is equal in importance to his skill and ability. He's gone from strength to strength and is deserving of his accolades both for team and individual. 

Grealish was thrown in the deep end as a teen. Played because of a need for an answer to the teams lacking, as much as it was due to it being the time for JG to cut his teeth at PL level. He had his moments but as the whole club looked for answers, they weren't to be found on the shoulders of young Grealish, yet.

Where Sterling went from strength to strength forging his identity and way of playing in teams that had seen his talent and accommodated for him to reach his potential within their set-up. Grealish was left to carry the weight and burden of his boyhood club's dreams and the pressures of the ever present demands of the villa faithful, as the club he loved and represented dovetailed into descent and headed for near extinction. 

I think Raheem is more established at the top level, it's no wonder, he's not known anything else.

For me Grealish has paid his dues and is en route to becoming the better player.

If I had to pick one of the two I'm choosing Grealish every time. Those runs and that weight of pass. He carries the ball forward not only with three or four defenders around him, it's like he brings the whole crowd along for the ride too. Sterling has quick feet and a deft touch and killer finish. He's a better goalscorer than Jack. No doubt. However we'll see if Jack doesn't add that to his game too.

I still remember the days supporting Villa when I'd watch his Nottingham Forest goals and assists. He's got it in him for sure. Always been critiqued for his numbers though. 

Villa needed him to bring the ball forward and create something from nothing, needed him to bring the club forward from something to nothing. And he did.

For that he's in a league way beyond Sterling. Up there and even greater than the legacy David Silva left at City. 

Edited by A'Villan

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's just horses for courses 

And the first half showed pep was absolutely right in his decision, arsenal saw a lot of the ball, City did a lot of defensive work and from what I saw almost looked like a counter attacking team not a 70% possession team

It was a game for sterling not jack

Madness that pep has those options available 

Just says it all doesn’t it. Such a waste of time competing really. They can throw £100m at us for our golden boy and then bench him against us. 

But of course they have a tiny squad and are so stretched and poor Pep has no options and we must weep for him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sterling is clearly the better player in my opinion. The stats speak for themselves.

I’d say Jack is the more technically and naturally gifted footballer than Sterling with a better footballing brain.

However, Sterling does have a knack of being in the right place at the right time to scuff the ball into the net. 

They play very different positions, whilst operating in the same part of the pitch.

Sterling has always been about getting in the goals and takes a very selfish approach to the game.

Grealish has always been that support player, developing attacks and would always look to play someone in instead of taking a shot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

They love a false 9 up there

At Brentford, he actually played as a false false nine. 

Always the innovator, Pep Guardiola. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Zen said:

At Brentford, he actually played as a false false nine. 

Always the innovator, Pep Guardiola. 

A double false 9?.. Maybe he is Super Jack after all :D

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sterling is clearly the better player in my opinion. The stats speak for themselves.

Sterling is massively overrated. He’s quick and handy at finding space - that’s genuinely about it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sterling is nowhere near a top 4 player IMO he's just held up by playing in an elite team, he wouldn't stand out playing for us at all. He's good at getting tap ins but he's missed some absolute sitters over the years, he's a bit like Gabby, give him too much time to think and he will mess it up. I'd argue he's one the worst technical players in the entire City squad, I don't think his passing, shooting or crossing is that good at all.

He fits City better than Jack though because they keep everything very basic and they use him to get behind the defence, he runs onto the ball rather than runs with it.

I think Grealish was worth more than 100m to us, if they offered us that + Sterling I'd have still rejected it. 

19 minutes ago, Kingman said:

A double false 9?.. Maybe he is Super Jack after all :D

The ploy was to have Brentford believe he was playing as a false nine, but in reality his job was to take up completely harmless positions so as to not draw any attention from defenders, and never receive the ball so the other City players could shine. 

The Brentford players had no idea how to respond. Genius. 

13 minutes ago, El Zen said:

The ploy was to have Brentford believe he was playing as a false nine, but in reality his job was to take up completely harmless positions so as to not draw any attention from defenders, and never receive the ball so the other City players could shine. 

The Brentford players had no idea how to respond. Genius. 

Sounds like they signed Harry Kane after all 😛

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I'd say Grealish is the more talented footballer, but Sterling is more effective in terms of end product. Grealish could get away with that lack of end product here, but he'll need to improve his numbers to be deemed a success at City (FWIW I still reckon that he will)

• Like 3

Right so jack was worth over £100 million to us…

But how much is this version of Jack worth to City say if you take away he only signed in the summer and imagine he had been there a few seasons already and if he was deemed surplus to requirements…

£30 million? 

Â