The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have posted on here before about an interview with Denise Lewis where she said "of course I didn't drink at all when I was competing" 

Basically not drinking or staying up late partying is considered the absolute norm for elite athletes who are all young and in the prime of their life. 

I cannot understand why people consider it OK for footballers to be different. After all they are paid absolutely obscene amounts of money in order to perform a professional sport to the best they possibly can. 

Athlete's are paid a fraction of what they earn yet manage to dedicate their lives to their sport. 

Why do I keep hearing we can't expect them to be Angel's?  They are paid handsomely to be angels. If they want to mistreat their bodies they should get paid nothing and go play for the local pub team where they can guzzle as many beers as they like after the game. 

I agree that during their short careers a professional athlete shouldn't drink, but the sad fact is that the majority of footballers do. Therefore I think it wrong that Jack is being persecuted for this, wen it is the norm in football. Especially when no facts are known that Jack was drunk 

Why does no one ever argue about an Olympic athletes right to have a life and go out for a drink when they want?

Aside from what Jack may or may not have done. I don't understand why in general footballers, some of the most rewarded sports people in the world, are held to such low fitness standards and expectations compared to other sports.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Go out in most cities in the uk on a Saturday and you'll see footballers in bars

I'd say the British footballers drinking culture is a bit different to most other countries. 

Only other "top" country that has same broad problem of players pissing their talent away is Brazil, where many of their (attacking) players are "finished" at 26-27 because they party too much.

Obviously some players from any given country does this, but it's not an accepted behavior in most other countries (IMO)

Massive generalization obviously.

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Go out in most cities in the uk on a Saturday and you'll see footballers in bars

That doesn't make it the norm. I've seen footballers in bars. Most of them weren't drinking.

Tho I once got shit faced in donny walkabout with matt mills.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

That doesn't make it the norm. I've seen footballers in bars. Most of them weren't drinking.

Tho I once got shit faced in donny walkabout with matt mills.

Matt Mills...blimey he's done alright for himself. Couple of big moves in his career to Leicester and Bolton so plenty of financial reward and he's only played about 5 games in the premier league...all that's wrong with the modern game eh Woody? ;)

Back to Grealish....I was thinking this. Couldn't he had had a good few hours out on Broad Street and then at 3am.....just gone home? That's what I normally do on the rare occasions I venture to that part of the world as I'm normally sick of the place by that time.

Or would his mates have disowned him on account of being "boring" and he'd have been left to make friends with Adomah and Jedinak in the dressing room...

Paul McGrath had/has an infamous association with alcohol.

He was fortunate to be in an era where is was less of an inhibitor to his performance.

bottom line is....He did the business.....so ended up with a chant as opposed to a witch hunt.

I think Jacks problem is his game.....whatever effects it, is conjecture.

Ps Andy Gray had his fair share....but like Macca delivered the goods

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He was fortunate to be in an era where is was less of an inhibitor to his performance.

bottom line is....He did the business.....so ended up with a chant as opposed to a witch hunt.

Did McGrath have an alcohol problem when he had only just burst on the scene? 

This is the third incident in just over a year. He really isn't helping himself is he?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

To be honest i think if anything McGrath's era was much tougher being an alcoholic when proper professionalism in the premier league/old div 1 was still in its infancy and drinking culture part of the game a lot. Factor in they probably had nobody to talk to, no support mechanisms. But back on point, McGrath delivered.. always!. Jack is a show pony, he's showed nothing relative to the hype lets be honest. The biggest thing he's done between the white lines was score a very fine goal in a game we lost 3-2. He might make it, be wondering if he wants it enough. Villa my main concern though, not the trials and tribulations of Jack grealish.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

God I hope he plays today so this thread goes back to his footballing ability instead of whether he's going to turn into the next Gazza...

The best way for this thread to go back to his football ability is for Jack to play football and show his ability and keep the newspaper reports about him on the back page and not the front page like 95% of other professional Footballer's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

God I hope he plays today so this thread goes back to his footballing ability instead of whether he's going to turn into the next Gazza...

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

God I hope he plays today so this thread goes back to his footballing ability

If it does, the chances are we will be discussing how average he is.

The problem with Jack is when he has the ball he basically does nothing with it and the game comes to a halt.  I cant see what all the fuss is about?  To me he just does a few step overs in tight shorts with no shin pads on, no defence splitting passes, no fantastic shots, no crosses, moans a lot  and looks bored later on in games.

Â