The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

20 hours ago, wiggyrichard said:

So by that you expect him to not have a drink etc. Until next summer once the seasons over??

you do realise law states people are allowed time off from work? Surly you don't really expect ALL footballers not to have a drink or night out and be in bed for 10pm throughout the season???

To be honest yes. Alcohol is a drug. Is it ok if snorts a little coke or does a bit of weed on the weekend too? Just because its legal doesn't mean its acceptable for a professional athlete in thousands of pounds a week.

14 hours ago, KSV said:

Its because he is a local lad. If say.. a Carles Gil was doing these.. he would not get anywhere near as much defense. Grealish hasnt even done that much on the field yet to deserve such praise. Its ridiculous. Local lads always end up disappointing.. Hendrie Collymore Gabby etc etc. Its as if there is too much pressure. All had an alleged drinking problem. Not saying Grealish has but he isnt following a good path. 

Sounds harsh and judgemental but its seems like a chav thats made it financially to me. 

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm somewhere in the middle of this debate. He's a young lad and it was his 21st birthday party, but he needs to restrain himself during the season, he's a professional athlete. 

As long as it's not affecting his athletic performance he can do whatever he likes for all I care. 

I think he's just a bit naive and easily lead rather than being malicious or not giving a ****. 

This could be true. Maybe he needs a new crowd.

edit : Or a good beating.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be honest yes. Alcohol is a drug. Is it ok if snorts a little coke or does a bit of weed on the weekend too? Just because its legal doesn't mean its acceptable for a professional athlete in thousands of pounds a week.

You're comparing something that is legal in the UK to something that is not. Football is a job just like any job. Don't show up to work drunk, or in a state that can effect your performance. Don't do anything illegal. Don't do anything that can make the club look bad. After work if you want to have an alcoholic beverage and it won't effect you the next day, go ahead. Just don't do anything illegal with it like drink drive. I really don't care what footballers do off the pitch as long as they show up to do their jobs effectively and it's legal. 

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

You're comparing something that is legal in the UK to something that is not. Football is a job just like any job. Don't show up to work drunk, or in a state that can effect your performance. Don't do anything illegal. Don't do anything that can make the club look bad. After work if you want to have an alcoholic beverage and it won't effect you the next day, go ahead. Just don't do anything illegal with it like drink drive. I really don't care what footballers do off the pitch as long as they show up to do their jobs effectively and it's legal. 

How on earth is football a job like any other job? I don't get paid thousands a week. I'm not known by the whole country. I'm not idolised by thousands of young kids.  

Just because alcohol is legal you telling me it won't affect his fitness?   

I totally disagree with people that think a footballer is a normal job. It really isn't. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How on earth is football a job like any other job? I don't get paid thousands a week. I'm not known by the whole country. I'm not idolised by thousands of young kids.  

I totally disagree with people that think a footballer is a normal job. It really isn't. 

Just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they can't enjoy their life. Drinking alcohol the night before a match or training will effect his fitness the next day, but if he has a couple days off, then how can it possibly have any effect? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they can't enjoy their life. Drinking alcohol the night before a match or training will effect his fitness the next day, but if he has a couple days off, then how can it possibly have any effect? 

Of it course it can.  I guess it depends on how good he wants to become.   I know this is probably an extreme example but do you think Messi, Ronaldo or Bale drink? Never mind drink during a season! 

Mate if alcohol came on the scene in modern age it would be the most illegal substance there is. We are talking class A. 

edit : Maybe the fact you have to party until the early hours of the morning in a rowdy fashion with no consideration of a whole hotel full of people that have paid a to of money to stay there to 'enjoy yourself' says more about society then Grealish'

Man I'm getting old.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Again...there's nothing in the report that says he was drunk, or that he was the one partying until 7.45..and again why are we singling Jack out and saying he can't drink when pretty much all of our squad will...

like I said earlier bacuna was out down broad street at 4am a couple of weeks a go, where was the outrage then? There wasn't even a discussion about it

3 hours ago, Villastine said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the party but you have the question Jacks intelligence when he gets caught AGAIN!

Peer pressure. Don't underestimate its power. Especially in Jack's position. At that age, generally people are concerned about what other people think of them.  Because he is a famous face, if he says no, then they will trot out the old chestnut that he is too good to be seen with them and that fame has gone to his head. Say yes however, no matter his innocence, he is in no control of the yobs around him.

Unless something comes out that he has actually done something wrong, I believe he deserves the full benefit of the doubt.

we can all refer to the George Bests of this world.....but he created his own space to some degree by delivering the goods......Jack is not delivering the goods, sorry no he's not.

What I say or anyone else is just opinion, but......

What is a fact is .......if Jack does not focus on improving his game....."The game" will dump him.

ive missed about 10 pages on this but has their actually been proof that he was as bad as people say. In the days of everybody having a phone I imagine their would be some evidence. By sound of it the club have handled it quite poorly by making their investigation public.

as for Stan Collymore what a tosser, he really needs to mind his own business. no matter what he claims, Collymore only cares about Collymore and nobody else

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with this particular saga is down to the distraction it causes.

I have no idea if he was drinking orange juice or vodka and orange juice. But the whole club, the rest of the squad, the manager have all had to deal with the added pressure of the press looking for new angles and more detail. Even if nothing happened, he has to remember the greater impact. Its not that he's a role-model, or if he deserves/doesn't deserve the natural freedoms that we all deserve. 

Its the fact that supposedly the whole squad and club are trying to get promoted, and this is all just wasted energy for something that shouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have posted on here before about an interview with Denise Lewis where she said "of course I didn't drink at all when I was competing" 

Basically not drinking or staying up late partying is considered the absolute norm for elite athletes who are all young and in the prime of their life. 

I cannot understand why people consider it OK for footballers to be different. After all they are paid absolutely obscene amounts of money in order to perform a professional sport to the best they possibly can. 

Athlete's are paid a fraction of what they earn yet manage to dedicate their lives to their sport. 

Why do I keep hearing we can't expect them to be Angel's?  They are paid handsomely to be angels. If they want to mistreat their bodies they should get paid nothing and go play for the local pub team where they can guzzle as many beers as they like after the game. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Because it DOES affect them. Professional athletes should not drink at all. End of. 

See my post above about Denise Lewis. It's a well known fact that alcohol other than in very small amounts will affect your health which is why elite athletes simply don't drink at all. However as football players are lads it's OK. . No it isn't. 

Â