The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

35 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I thought he was fantastic yesterday. Reminds me of Lallana with his technique. You can give him the ball anywhere with 2 men around him and he will find a way to lay it off. What he needs to do is find more of a killer instinct and make the right decisions when he is playing direct. With the right coaching he can be a fantastic player. Technique wise he is head and shoulders above any other player we have. 

Fantastic??? Wow you must have set a very low bar! I thought he was average - comfortable on the ball and worked hard but completely slows the game down and does the same thing every time (cuts inside into traffic). No real end product. Him and McCormack fighting it out as to who will give way for Adomah in my opinion

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Fantastic??? Wow you must have set a very low bar! I thought he was average - comfortable on the ball and worked hard but completely slows the game down and does the same thing every time (cuts inside into traffic). No real end product. Him and McCormack fighting it out as to who will give way for Adomah in my opinion

Perhaps fantastic was a tad hyperbolic. I thought he was our best player. If he gave the ball away once yesterday I must have missed it. He didn't show much end product yesterday but there were a couple of times he was unfortunate and was crowded out by defenders (yes, probably because he was cutting in, but he is clearly trying to find an angle to shoot with his right foot). I was sat in the Holte and every time the ball came to him on the left in the second half the stand was on its feet. 

Not sure why either Grealish or McCormack would give way for a new player just because he is available. Grealish has been our player of the season so far (IMO) and McCormack is our most likely goalscorer. Both have scored 2 goals already. Would seem like silly logic to drop either. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Perhaps fantastic was a tad hyperbolic. I thought he was our best player. If he gave the ball away once yesterday I must have missed it. He didn't show much end product yesterday but there were a couple of times he was unfortunate and was crowded out by defenders (yes, probably because he was cutting in, but he is clearly trying to find an angle to shoot with his right foot). I was sat in the Holte and every time the ball came to him on the left in the second half the stand was on its feet. 

Not sure why either Grealish or McCormack would give way for a new player just because he is available. Grealish has been our player of the season so far (IMO) and McCormack is our most likely goalscorer. Both have scored 2 goals already. Would seem like silly logic to drop either. 

I'd expect the only outfield changes to be jedinak and tish for Westwood and Gardner - McCormack and grealish both did enough to keep their place .

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I don't see how he slows the game down? Everytime he gets the ball, he goes forward. He clearly has no left foot so doesn't run down the left of the defence, but was often looking for overlaps down that side (worked a couple out to Cissokho and Kodjia) or to cut in on his right - no problem with this at all. 

I think RDM has a tough decision to make as all of Ayew (MOTM), Grealish, Kodjia and McCormack played well. Adomah may well have to wait for his chance. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't see how he slows the game down? Everytime he gets the ball, he goes forward. He clearly has no left foot so doesn't run down the left of the defence, but was often looking for overlaps down that side (worked a couple out to Cissokho and Kodjia) or to cut in on his right - no problem with this at all. 

I think RDM has a tough decision to make as all of Ayew (MOTM), Grealish, Kodjia and McCormack played well. Adomah may well have to wait for his chance. 

I think half the time he turns back and the other half of the time he does go forward but takes a lot of touches and invariably ends up cutting inside into traffic. I thought he was far from "fantastic" but that he played well enough to retain his place. Personally I think that he will give way for Adomah eventually (once Adomah has his chance)

he shows a lot of composure on the ball, but often that means giving it to Cissokho in tights spots that Ally cannot deal with. I think he would be better with Amavi, also because Amavi will overlap more and actually have the stones to put a cross in.  But for me, he still starts, and Adomah is on the bench. He needs to earn his spot. 

Id be willing to drop grealish for Adomah. Having Ayew and Grealish on the wings makes us a bit too predictable since both like to cut in and neither are very quick. With Adomah, he gives us another dimension with us pace and crossing. Grealish always cut in which made defending him easy. I still think Grealish would be a great attacking mid. 

Rotating Ayew, Adomah, Grealish, and McCormack is a good thing. All will be wanting to impress. 

I think he is our most creative player but should have been subbed after we went 2-1 up because we were too lightweight in midfield. He has by far the best touch out of all our players. Last player had with as good a touch was Gary Shaw. 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Saved me from posting this. Great talent but zero (or close to it) end product. Typically he would pick up the ball - beat a man, stop, let the defender get back in position - then pass the ball backwards. 

Needs to be faster and more direct.Position in the starting 11 on a knife edge for me.

Think people saying he had no end product is extremely harsh.

He made a great defence splitting pass to put McCormack through which was either tipped or put wide. He drew three men in and then released the ball for Gardner Westwood and Ayew all to have clear shooting chances from the edge of the box.

Yes he could go outside his man more, and yes he could shoot more, but overall had another good game.

• Like 3

I thought we missed him enormously tonight. 

Gave us width on the left which was totally missing today. When he breezes past players he creates so much space on the pitch as he has one defender behind him and others move over to cover leaving space for others. 

Hope he is not out for long,  it seems a bit of a mystery why he was out today.?

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I thought we missed him enormously tonight. 

Gave us width on the left which was totally missing today. When he breezes past players he creates so much space on the pitch as he has one defender behind him and others move over to cover leaving space for others. 

Hope he is not out for long,  it seems a bit of a mystery why he was out today.?

Radio WM reported a slight hamstring injury but not much more than that. 

Â