The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Does anybody know exactly how Squawka work out their stats for defensive score? I just did a comparison of Grealish, Gabby and Weimann's defensive scores and it looks like this....

Grealish: 22.09

Gabby: - 0.37

Weimann: -0.89

These stats are all based on Squawka's per 90 metrics which accounts for minutes played rather than just looking at raw data.

Now, At first I thought it might be like Ice Hockey's +/- system which is based on how many goals are scored and conceded whilst you are on the field. Then I laughed my head off when I saw 22 for Grealish......

What is interesting though is If you compare all of the defensive breakdown stats (Interceptions,Blocks, Clearances, Defensive errors and Errors leading to a goal) Grealish is actually the best out of the three.

Now, I haven't gone full Lambert here and started thinking all attacking players should play defensive but what it does show is the worries that people have about Jack defensively haven't been evident so far according to Squawka. Yes he has played less minutes which means there has been less time for him to make mistakes however the stats in which he is clearly ahead of Gabby and Andi are Interceptions and clearances with which time on on the pitch has no baring.

In terms of attacking out of the 3 in shooting Andi is top with Gabby and Grealish much of a muchness. Andi is top with total shots, shot accuracy and both shots inside and outside of the area.

Now when it comes to passing which is vital in Lambert's new style (Passes forward, Passes backward, Successful Passes, Total Passes, Pass completion, Chances created and key passes) Grealish is top in every category.

Grealish has also done this by playing far less games and minutes.

Grealish: 9 games and 218 minutes

Gabby: 18 games and 1514 minutes

Andi: 19 games and 1343 minutes

What can we conclude from this? 1) I'm very bored, 2) Squawka could be talking nonsense but most importantly 3) If these stats are true Jack needs to be playing more often and based on those stats it is in place of Gabby.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

You have to earn a place in a football team....or should i say supposedly.

Jack is still young and learning his trade and he is showing signs of being an exciting talent, but at some stage of that development an end product will be expected.some times it comes early and bides you some time....other times it just alludes you.

sometimes the development plateau's out and it never arrives as we have seen in so many of our academy players.

I have not got a clue, if Jack will make it or not, but i can safely say, if he doesn't manage to find an end product or effect at some stage in the near future, he could end up as another B6 Statistic.

as Frankie Pimblett once said to me....its a cruel business.

Edited by TRO

Does anybody know exactly how Squawka work out their stats for defensive score? I just did a comparison of Grealish, Gabby and Weimann's defensive scores and it looks like this....

Grealish: 22.09

Gabby: - 0.37

Weimann: -0.89

These stats are all based on Squawka's per 90 metrics which accounts for minutes played rather than just looking at raw data.

Now, At first I thought it might be like Ice Hockey's +/- system which is based on how many goals are scored and conceded whilst you are on the field. Then I laughed my head off when I saw 22 for Grealish......

What is interesting though is If you compare all of the defensive breakdown stats (Interceptions,Blocks, Clearances, Defensive errors and Errors leading to a goal) Grealish is actually the best out of the three.

Now, I haven't gone full Lambert here and started thinking all attacking players should play defensive but what it does show is the worries that people have about Jack defensively haven't been evident so far according to Squawka. Yes he has played less minutes which means there has been less time for him to make mistakes however the stats in which he is clearly ahead of Gabby and Andi are Interceptions and clearances with which time on on the pitch has no baring.

In terms of attacking out of the 3 in shooting Andi is top with Gabby and Grealish much of a muchness. Andi is top with total shots, shot accuracy and both shots inside and outside of the area.

Now when it comes to passing which is vital in Lambert's new style (Passes forward, Passes backward, Successful Passes, Total Passes, Pass completion, Chances created and key passes) Grealish is top in every category.

Grealish has also done this by playing far less games and minutes.

Grealish: 9 games and 218 minutes

Gabby: 18 games and 1514 minutes

Andi: 19 games and 1343 minutes

What can we conclude from this? 1) I'm very bored, 2) Squawka could be talking nonsense but most importantly 3) If these stats are true Jack needs to be playing more often and based on those stats it is in place of Gabby.

Great post.

I think we need to give him a run. Tell him he's going to start a few games and let him do it.

You have to earn a place in a football team....or should i say supposedly.

Jack is still young and learning his trade and he is showing signs of being an exciting talent, but at some stage of that development an end product will be expected.some times it comes early and bides you some time....other times it just alludes you.

sometimes the development plateau's out and it never arrives as we have seen in so many of our academy players.

I have not got a clue, if Jack will make it or not, but i can safely say, if he doesn't manage to find an end product or effect at some stage in the near future, he could end up as another B6 Statistic.

as Frankie Pimblett once said to me....its a cruel business.

I think it is far too soon to be assuming his development could have stopped, as you said yourself he is still very young. We shouldn't be rushing him into the team or relying on him or pressuring him. He'll be fine.

No disrespect to the kid as he looks a talent and adds a bit of entertainment to a boring squad. But correct me if im wrong as im no youth development coach. Its just fans saying he is still young is no excuse surely, at nearly 20 years of age I would be expect him to be part of the team now and kicking on. Many players which have ended up a talent have had much more by the time they were 20, im just not seeing it. I am also worried he won't develop here as Lambert and the club have more important things to worry about, like finances and staying in the prem. Maybe a loan to a European club would have done him wonders this season.

Edited by foreveryoung

He may be too good for them but he still doesn't look quite ready for the first team, unfortunately.

I agree with you. He will only get better by playing so more u21 games and increased first team appearances will help. I look at the likes of Harry Kane and I thought a couple of seasons back he looked really raw. At times he was good but others he gave the ball away cheaply. He just needed game time to find his feet - look at him now.  

Â