The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I mostly agree, although I think he could have handled it a little bit better on the way out. In his interviews, his face always changed when he did the old "obviously growing up here, obviously being from Birmingham, obviously yeah it means more to me, obviously".

Personally I thought he was going to stay because nobody would want to meet our valuation, but the £100m release clause came as a bit of a surprise (would he have gone if it was £150m?)

Reality is I think he does actually care about Villa and his Villa legacy, but is too proud to give any ground now.

We've done okay out of him, definitely time to move on and grow up. We'll have new homegrown heroes before long, the youth setup is quality.

It's kind of weird but it looks like Harry Kane handled it better, at least where the fans are concerned (apart from skipping training, though it's pretty much he said Sky said regarding that). Pretty much laid it bare that he wanted to leave and it's all business and didn't give any spiel about being a boyhood fan etc. Everyone's on the same page. When he leaves, there's only the hurt of not having a quality player at the club anymore.

57 minutes ago, wict01 said:

As much as I understand why some people are frustrated at others for being seemingly so hung up on Grealish's words from last year, I have to say I've found the takes and behaviour from other football journalists to be quite distasteful as well. As much as Preece's piece is divisive, it is definitely honest and heartfelt from the point of view of a villa fan, whether you agree with his stance or not. 

What I am finding more irritating than Preece's honesty is the sneering condescension of City journalists in particular who feel the need to tell Villa fans that they're overreacting and should get over it. Easy to say when you're the beneficiary of such a transfer. That's doing just as much to wind people up as Grealish's own comments and interviews, in my opinion. To say that Villa fans should be eternally grateful for Grealish's, if we're honest, fairly meagre achievements at the club both does a disservice to everyone else who has played a role in re-establishing us in the prem (NSWE, other players, Deano, etc) and pedals the notion that we should be happy for Grealish to get his "big move". I'm not happy for Grealish, I'm not a Grealish fan. I'm a Villa fan, I want Villa to win things and we arguably stood a better chance of that by keeping him, so naturally it is disappointing to see him go. I really hope we as a club can eventually throw it back in the faces of everyone who is determined to cast us in the role of a perpetual also-ran. Fans are allowed to have ambition as well, not just players. 

Rant over.......

Half those "City journos" would have been "United journos" or "Liverpool journos" a few years back.

Football journalism is a pretty seedy industry. The only way to make decent money is to ghostwrite player autobiographies, and the bestsellers are obviously England players at the top Champions League clubs. So you can see how that incentivises a particular bumlicky style of journalism.

Edited by KentVillan

2 hours ago, Beastmix said:

1. It's a shame he wasn't mentally strong enough not to be jealous of his peers playing in the Champions League.

2. He didn't 'outgrow the club' because nobody is bigger than the club.

3. They invested in the dream of being a fan and captaining the club you support. Ask most Villa fans if, in the same situation, they would trade this for anything else in football (such as playing in the Champions League for a different club in the same league) and they'd likely tell you where to go.

4. It's an opinion piece... the key word there being opinion.

Personally, I understand the emotions of Preece's opinion piece, but I'm equally I'm happy with the £100m and what we've done with it. We're no longer a team that needs to rely on Grealish and we are more balanced as a result. It's just a shame he doesn't show us any respect now he's left, especially considering he's a supposed fan.

But why are you forcing what you want on another person? It's bizzare.

To you all of those things are the most important, but you're not a professional footballer, you are a supporter. For a professional footballer who is worth 100m pounds who will almost never play in the CL let alone win it staying with his boyhood club he wanted to test himself against the best and improve his game by taking that challenge. 

What is wrong with that? He loves Villa but knows his professional career needs the next step. He moved on and that was his choice, it's his life. Why do you think you should decide what he should or shouldn't do and who are you to pass judgement on him for making his own decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

But why are you forcing what you want on another person? It's bizzare.

To you all of those things are the most important, but you're not a professional footballer, you are a supporter. For a professional footballer who is worth 100m pounds who will almost never play in the CL let alone win it staying with his boyhood club he wanted to test himself against the best and improve his game by taking that challenge. 

What is wrong with that? He loves Villa but knows his professional career needs the next step. He moved on and that was his choice, it's his life. Why do you think you should decide what he should or shouldn't do and who are you to pass judgement on him for making his own decisions.

I said, if I was a professional footballer (whether I actually am or not is irrelevant) I would stay at the club I love. I, and many other Villa fans, literally wouldn't have the heart/desire to play for another Prem team... and Jack (apparently) IS a fan, so this is why fans are disappointed, not only with his decision to throw it all away, but to then disrespect us after leaving. His attitude has been appalling. 

Again, personally, I'm happy with the business we've done in his absence.

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Come on Ash .you want to be a serious journalist .Jack justgave you the opportunity to ask the question.

So what is the real football world . What is different to what i am saying Jack ? 

I feel you should get there first and ask him that question mate, he probably won't reply but you asked it at least.

The only thing I think about is the 100m he made for us. Most expensive English transfer to date and it wasn't from any of the top 4, it was from Villa, gotta respect that. Wish he could have stayed, but always said he was Rockstar like Lewis Hamilton wants to be no. 1, most of us would do the same surely, it's man City we hate on, not JG. Thanks for the memories Jack!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Saddest thing about the whole transfer is we don't get to see him on the pitch playing like this for Villa anymore. 

Yeah. I don't hold anything against him now, I'm over it. Him lighting up VP was a joy to behold though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NeilS said:

And so the BS begins

Trevor Sinclair has told talkSPORT that Jack Grealish is playing with even more confidence for England after leaving Aston Villa for Manchester City in a British-record transfer.

The midfielder left his boyhood club for the Citizens in a £100m deal in August, and penned a six-year contract. Grealish now earns north of £300k-a-week at the Etihad Stadium and has also started all three available Premier League fixtures under Pep Guardiola to date.

“As I watched him more and more, it was the tiny bits of detail – the first touch, how he kills the ball, whatever scenario he’s in, and then that weight of pass, so his teammate isn’t trying to fight for the ball with the defender – [that caught my attention],” Sinclair said.

What a complete utter load of rubbish!

Yes utter rubbish, he is playing well but not reached the form he was showing at this stage last season 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NeilS said:

And so the BS begins

Trevor Sinclair has told talkSPORT that Jack Grealish is playing with even more confidence for England after leaving Aston Villa for Manchester City in a British-record transfer.

The midfielder left his boyhood club for the Citizens in a £100m deal in August, and penned a six-year contract. Grealish now earns north of £300k-a-week at the Etihad Stadium and has also started all three available Premier League fixtures under Pep Guardiola to date.

“As I watched him more and more, it was the tiny bits of detail – the first touch, how he kills the ball, whatever scenario he’s in, and then that weight of pass, so his teammate isn’t trying to fight for the ball with the defender – [that caught my attention],” Sinclair said.

Never seen him play

Preece is a joke of a journalist. Has no inside knowledge of anything. That said, I kind of agree with a lot of the stuff he says. 

Grealish couldn’t wait to get out. I’d argue he only stayed with us the length of time he did because he had to.

37 minutes ago, NeilS said:

And so the BS begins

Did Sinclair actually say the first bit though or just the quotes? As tbf Sinclair has been one of Grealish's biggest fans for a few years.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Preece is a joke of a journalist. Has no inside knowledge of anything. That said, I kind of agree with a lot of the stuff he says. 

Grealish couldn’t wait to get out. I’d argue he only stayed with us the length of time he did because he had to.

Do you think he was impressed with the team during the time he was injured? 

If that was a test to show him we could do it without him and are able to match his ambitions we failed on all counts. 

That second half of the season was a complete and utter bottle job 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Â