The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I still think Jack stays, but this is his last opportunity to get the massive salary at Villa that he would make elsewhere at a "big" club.  This game of signing new deals every summer gets tiring for the ownership and needs to stop now with Jack entering his prime and us knocking on the door to Europe.  His agent is pushing for this on Man City's side so hard that Villa will be forced to pay him 200k/week to keep him, instead of 150k/week we probably would offer him if there wasn't genuine interest from elsewhere. 

If Jack does end up leaving it will mean one of two things:

• Jack wants to challenge for trophies faster than the board are willing to pay or FFP rules will let us pay and wants to leave in his prime while his stock is sky high.
  • The board feels that the Man City offer is astronomic and we'll be able to reinvest the money in the European challenge to make us a better team overall on a faster timeline than doing it with Jack on the books would allow.

Jack has had several opportunities to leave in the past to Spurs and Man United and could have pushed for a deal then if he really wanted out of the plan/rebuild.  He doesn't seem like the type to see just how close we've come to Europe and a cup under the new ownership to just pull the plug and walk out just when we're so close.  If he leaves, it will be because City offer more than we think he's worth or he doesn't think we're going to be able to match his ambitions while he's in his prime.  Either way, I think our board will have a plan to move forward and try to push us up the table into European contention, with or without Jack in the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

If Jack leaves, he wont be the first, and he wont be the last to choose money over loyalty. 

I will be disappointed in him, but I couldn't be bothered being resentful. 

I wont waste energy or effort hating the player. 

I will be all about hating the game.

Great post! deserved a "Thanks" but you got "😆" for getting one of my favourite sayings in at the end..

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah that's about what I thought, and Delph spent what about 5 seasons and Citeh and Totti a lifetime at Roma.

Don't get me wrong I love loyalty, that's who I am I don't care much for money other than obviously needing it.

However loyalty comes at sacrifice, to say it doesn't is naive.

Take the romance out of it, it's not even a decision really.

Im just hoping Jack's a romantic 🌹

Does Delph have a statue outside any of the clubs that he’s played for?

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

If Jack leaves, he wont be the first, and he wont be the last to choose money over loyalty. 

I will be disappointed in him, but I couldn't be bothered being resentful. 

I wont waste energy or effort hating the player. 

I will be all about hating the game.

I don't think that's it.

No matter where he plays - he's set financially for life. The lure will be winning things and, perhaps, the vanity of being "the record transfer".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ben1505 said:

Does Delph have a statue outside any of the clubs that he’s played for?

Fair call, my point was that some people don't care about statues.... Me? I'd pick a statue over an inflated bank balance but then I'm an idiot probably..

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah that's about what I thought, and Delph spent what about 5 seasons and Citeh and Totti a lifetime at Roma.

Don't get me wrong I love loyalty, that's who I am I don't care much for money other than obviously needing it.

However loyalty comes at sacrifice, to say it doesn't is naive.

Take the romance out of it, it's not even a decision really.

Im just hoping Jack's a romantic 🌹

Which one was more fulfilling though I wonder. He wasn't joking when he said 1 trophy for Roma was worth 10 for Juventus. Because although it may be technically 6-5 in favour of Delph, it feels like more of a landslide for Totti. Statue outside the historic stadium. A legend for eternity.

That could be Jack. 5 trophies isn't beyond the realm of possibility given our trajectory. He's already played in 2 cup finals for Villa, and we were relegation fodder both times!

• Like 2

The more I read about this from the Man City side the more it looks to be happening. 

I just read a City Twitter account where they report the negotiations are all about how Villa want the money paid up front in one go with no add-ons or players involved. Also claims they have Jack scheduled for a medical next week. 

If true, I just hope we spend the money wisely and he goes there and wins fook all. 

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Fair call, my point was that some people don't care about statues.... Me? I'd pick a statue over an inflated bank balance but then I'm an idiot probably..

Not at all.. We’d all like to be more successful and have more accolades.. I coach a men’s team over in NZ and we’ve won a few leagues and cups but the highlight for me was getting my name on the “life members” board.. I again show a statue would feel? I’m also surprised that Grealish would leave two weeks before the season starts making it virtually impossible to replace him.. I’d be surprised if he’s do that to the club he cherishes.. but likewise, I could be way off too 

• Like 1

It's words like this that Jack has said that would infuriate me if he left now. You know how much it would hurt us fans if he left after he has said those words that I could never forgive the betrayal and it would be betrayal when you come out and talk in that way, a betrayal of the words you spoke about the club you claimed to love so much.

“The way they were speaking was crucial to me signing this deal, their hopes that they’ve got for this club was a massive factor in me signing this new contract.

“Four or five days ago I genuinely didn’t know where I was going to be starting the season, that’s how intense it was.

“After the friendly on Saturday I rang my agent and said ‘listen, I’ve had a long chat with Christian and the manager and Nassef, and I said I think my future lies at Aston Villa’. I believe in the project they want to go forwards with.”

I think he will stay. Between the euphoria of keeping us up and the selling of the clubs vision he signed a new contract, obviously with assurances made. Fast forward a year and you would definitely say we hit our kpis, we have added EmiB to take some of the creative responsibilities off his shoulders, EmiM has emerged as world class and we are bidding on other players with serious class. And all the while he can see the talent pool in the u20s being stocked with potential. Now he can play most teams with swagger thinking we can outplay them, swap that to be a sub half a season and be just another star, not “the man”?

• Like 1

OK now today's dust has settled and the 100mil been spouted everywhere in the media let's discuss.

The 100mil has not been confirmed accepted or minimum release clause activated ( if there was one).

Jack is due back to training Monday so things will intensify I'd imagine Monday into Tuesday it results in new Contract signed, offer accepted pending medical or out right rejection of the 100mil offer.

I honestly believe if jack grealish leaves he will not be going " like the cat that got the cream" he'd be leaving  the villa as he stated his club, regardless of what people say he is a villa lad and always will be the problem we have here is this is the most recent " one of our own " to leave who is a fantastic player and been very loyal to our club and its very tough for us to accept but he has helped us to where we are and now could be his time to try new avenues.

NSWE have plans and this will be a setback but not the end, we must if the inevitable happens regroup believe in the owners and the plans set ahead and drive this sleeping giant back amongst the elite it won't be easy but Leicester showed anything can happen.

Aston villa will always be in Jack's DNA so regardless if he leaves we should reflect what he has done for our amazing club, he stayed when we were in championship a guy that has zero concern or loyalty  for the club would of walked away but jack couldn't, last season the same we just escaped and he stuck with his club again. 

If jack goes to man City as those journos claim he will,I cannot believe there wont be tears and the ache in his heart when he walks.out of bodymoor heath for the last time.

At the end of the day we don't want to lose him but he has a career to explore and my view will be go well jack thanks for the memories.

NSWE are trying there best but Rome wasn't built in a day we must have patience and faith miracles do happen.

UTV 

Easy to say with hindsight, but thinking back, my bullshit detectors were alerted when he signed the new deal last year. There was something about the way he declared his undying love for the club and Birmingham which seemed contrived, clichéd and even a bit as if he was just saying what you are supposed to say in those situations.

It wasn't very convincing, but we all bought it to some degree because we wanted it to be true.

In short there just isn't any room for sentiment in a game that is awash with money. The emotional incentives are still there in every player of course and in Jack's case his attachment to the club he grew up supporting will have been greater than most, but just like all other elite level modern footballers, his main motivators will always be money and success because that brings more money.

So eventually, once a certain level of performance has been reached, the club stuff just melts away into irrelevance. It's just not as important when a short cut transfer can bring everything you desire overnight.

I suppose I could be wrong and he might still turn them down, but I'm not and that isn't going to happen. Time to swallow that bitter pill again chaps. At least we are in better hands this time.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Which one was more fulfilling though I wonder. He wasn't joking when he said 1 trophy for Roma was worth 10 for Juventus. Because although it may be technically 6-5 in favour of Delph, it feels like more of a landslide for Totti. Statue outside the historic stadium. A legend for eternity.

That could be Jack. 5 trophies isn't beyond the realm of possibility given our trajectory. He's already played in 2 cup finals for Villa, and we were relegation fodder both times!

Let's hope Jack feels the same we do.... 

I wonder who has the most sway in advising him... Family or agent

6 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Not at all.. We’d all like to be more successful and have more accolades.. I coach a men’s team over in NZ and we’ve won a few leagues and cups but the highlight for me was getting my name on the “life members” board.. I again show a statue would feel? I’m also surprised that Grealish would leave two weeks before the season starts making it virtually impossible to replace him.. I’d be surprised if he’s do that to the club he cherishes.. but likewise, I could be way off too 

The leaving now is the bit I don't get, he knows he'll be putting the club he loves in a precarious position heading into a difficult season ahead with a strange WC etc. Going to much harder to gel and gather momentum.

I might be being romantic again but I imagined if he left that it would be very clean and quick. Again I do like reveling in foolish thoughts, so I find it hard to find the objective balance in this discussion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Let's hope Jack feels the same we do.... 

I wonder who has the most sway in advising him... Family or agent

Agent will be money obsessed 100%  his family his genuine happiness imo he'd make millions whatever he decides.

I'd imagine a fair few tears in grealish House, was he 5yrs old when he joined villa alot of history and affiliation to the club memories that live on.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 2

I think this idea that we can't be a success without Grealish is absurd, we've never even finished in the top half of the top league with him or won a trophy with him, this is a team that's spent most of it's history as a top half team and is one the most succesful English clubs in history in terms of trophies won, we've spent most of our history being succesful without Grealish, ironically especially relative to how unsuccesul we've been with Grealish in the team...

All that's not to say it's Grealish's fault that we haven't been very good over the last ten years, he's the least to blame, or that it wouldn't be disappointing if he leaves, the point is the club was capable of doing perfectly fine before any of us even knew he existed and will be capable of doing perfectly fine when he leaves...

In fact with him or without him we'll continue to improve for the simple reason that as long as NSWE continue to invest it would be kind of hard not to just based on the low standards set in previous seasons, again the highest we've finished in the last ten years is eleventh, maybe the improvement would have come faster if Grealish was to stay, but it will come either way unless the owners suddenly lose interest.

Also I don't really think losing Grealish is all that comparable to when we've lost our best players in the past, the difference with Grealish is that we're currently a midtable team and he's one of the best players in the world insomuch as he's good enough to get into any team in the world and standout as one of their best players, it's kind of almost unbelievable that we've managed to keep a player that good as long as we have...

Main difference though is that in the past we've lost our best players because of lack of investment or because the owner has lost interest, whereas this time that's not the case, we will continue to sign good players and invest money.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

The more I read about this from the Man City side the more it looks to be happening. 

I just read a City Twitter account where they report the negotiations are all about how Villa want the money paid up front in one go with no add-ons or players involved. Also claims they have Jack scheduled for a medical next week. 

If true, I just hope we spend the money wisely and he goes there and wins fook all. 

According to press its nailed on but from now until Monday alot of thinking time if jack was of the same mold as Barry,Miller,Yorke,downing,young  and was just a mere employee with zero love and affection he couldn't give a rats backside and would think get me to city.

It's looking unlikely he stays but never ever rule out the love a home bred player has for the club they joined/supported since a young boy.

I honestly believe if he leaves yes he will win trophies and earn a payrise but deep inside his heart will be broken.

If Jack leaves and we end up playing the soulless in a cup final and he scores or assists the winning goal, how will that make people feel and will it affect how he is remembered?

• Like 1

Â