The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Is there anything wrong with Jack being used as a key substitute to attack tired defences? coming on with 30 left to play 

Not at all. The concern Villa fans and fans of England in general have is that Jack won't even get 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’ve offered 5/4 😳

That's good. So that's basically saying that nobody openly knows or expects him to leave. If it was known within football, the leaving odds would be akin to the 'next club after villa' odds of 4/9, which Man City are in that market.

I bet he has been much shorter odds for leaving than he is now, over the last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I hope it's just nerves and believing too much crollox on social media but I'm concerned we are actually prepping for Jack to leave. Has a familiar feel to it. 

Please convince me I'm wrong 🙄

you're wrong

we were always going to spend big on a forward player IMO. buendia ticked most boxes

i'm also positive that buendia would've asked about the grealish situation. the fact that he signed indicates what has been rumoured about us rejecting any bid that comes in this summer. i don't think emi would've signed otherwise

i'm absolutely convinced he's staying

13 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Not at all. The concern Villa fans and fans of England in general have is that Jack won't even get 30 minutes. 

Yeah 30 mins would be good. Will be a bit miffed if he gets 10 at the end or even worse unused. Still, as I've said before no point boiling our own piss before kick off....save that for later lol

Also, let's hope Mings doesn't get dropped... that would be horrendous! 

Edited by birdman

I doubt he will start. I would play him left and Sterling right and drop Foden who wasn’t really in the game last week. I don’t think Mount did much either last week. 
If he doesn’t get minutes and we are unconvincing - serious questions will need to be asked. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Is there anything wrong with Jack being used as a key substitute to attack tired defences? coming on with 30 left to play 

the belief that the 60 minutes before the sub will be the tactic of trying to get sterling in behind which could work but its also dull, we can play than that if we wanted to with the talent we have and if we want to do anything in the tournament we will have to play better than that

my problem isnt necessarily a huge hard on for grealish its that the way we use sterling, not going to argue that jack is better than sterling at the tactics that southgate wants to use but i'll happily argue that the tactics that southgate wants to use are shit

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm also positive that buendia would've asked about the grealish situation. the fact that he signed indicates what has been rumoured about us rejecting any bid that comes in this summer. i don't think emi would've signed otherwise

Unless... (just being devil's advocate here) he was told that he was going to be Jack's replacement and we would build the team around him. Not a supporting actor, but the new star. 

Probably not, but who knows? 

The longer Southgate can go without Jack in this tournament the better. Jack just spent 3 months on the sideline because he has an injury that is caused by playing to many matches with little to no recovery time in between.  The matches are only 4 days apart. That's a pretty tight window in terms of recovery.  Why wear out Jack now in the group stages when far grater challenges than Scotland or Crotia await once the knockout stage gets here. 

59 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I hope it's just nerves and believing too much crollox on social media but I'm concerned we are actually prepping for Jack to leave. Has a familiar feel to it. 

Please convince me I'm wrong 🙄

Signing Buendia has convinced me more that Jack is staying.  We are building a team around him and for him.  People talk about buying Buendia to replace Jack but Jack plays left wing and couldve done with more creativity and support from the right wing.  The club have gone and done that now with Buendia.  They havent brought a LW, they have brought a RW.

Jack wasnt going to stay if we didnt keep improving and so we are improving.  If we keep improving I believe Jack will be happy to stay and this summer we have started well with recruitment.

It's also not as if there are many teams that he would go to.  Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.  The reason I dont say Liverpool is no links at all with him, not one dot and Klopp has said they cant afford massive fees.  I honestly dont think Chelsea will be interested in Jack, i saw that rumour a few days ago but it doesnt make sense and has died a quick depth.  Man Utd are too focused on Sancho and once that deal goes through they arent spending 100m+ on somebody else. 

So there is only Man City, they are a massive draw I give them that.  Given all their talent, and yes there are rumours of coming and going but are they really going to spend 100m+ on Jack.  It just doesnt seem the Pep way, he buys loads of players for large amounts of money but you never see them being superstars until he puts them in his team and tinkers.  I think Pep will buy his quality from abroad for cheap prices and make them stars rather than buying an already star.

Man City are the only worry for me but i'm 99% convinced it isnt a factor this close season but maybe more so next close season depending on what we do this season.  Even today reports suggest Man City are back in for Joao Felix, when he was only brought 2 years ago for £110m.  He's a creative forward but can play wing or attacking midfield.  Now Silva may go the opposite way but this kind of signing feels more like Pep than splashing out full cash on Grealish.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The longer Southgate can go without Jack in this tournament the better. Jack just spent 3 months on the sideline because he has an injury that is caused by playing to many matches with little to no recovery time in between.  The matches are only 4 days apart. That's a pretty tight window in terms of recovery.  Why wear out Jack now in the group stages when far grater challenges than Scotland or Crotia await once the knockout stage gets here. 

Thats fine, if that were the strategy but there is no way Southgate is holding him back for the bigger matches. He just doesn't want to play him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unless... (just being devil's advocate here) he was told that he was going to be Jack's replacement and we would build the team around him. Not a supporting actor, but the new star. 

Probably not, but who knows? 

I can't for one second envisage that our owners or Smith would let him leave this summer. I'm not even worried. When you have a player like Jack you build around and that's what we're doing and if it's successful we may get to keep him for at least a couple more years. Jack will have hopes and dreams of playing in Europe on the big stage and if we can't give him that within a reasonable time span then of course he'll be lured away but no immediate danger of that this coming season I think. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Thats fine, if that were the strategy but there is no way Southgate is holding him back for the bigger matches. He just doesn't want to play him.

Correct. Not a chance in hell is Southgate just "saving him".

The whole thing is bizarre. Is there another team in the competition who are choosing to leave their best player out every game so far?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Correct. Not a chance in hell is Southgate just "saving him".

The whole thing is bizarre. Is there another team in the competition who are choosing to leave their best player out every game so far?

Your problem there is the belief that grealish is our best player

That's pure opinion, he's not done anything for England yet, certainly nothing to justify the best player tag

Southgate not giving him the opportunity to earn it is another thing... 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

is it stubbornness do we think? he gets talked about so much in the media etc is it a case of "i'm not playing him cause it will only look like i'm just doing it because i was told to?"

you don't see many interviews with the likes of mount/rashford/sancho do you. but he's getting a lot of media airtime.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Your problem there is the belief that grealish is our best player

That's pure opinion, he's not done anything for England yet, certainly nothing to justify the best player tag

Southgate not giving him the opportunity to earn it is another thing... 

He just is though. He just is.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, turvontour said:

That's good. So that's basically saying that nobody openly knows or expects him to leave. If it was known within football, the leaving odds would be akin to the 'next club after villa' odds of 4/9, which Man City are in that market.

I bet he has been much shorter odds for leaving than he is now, over the last couple of years.

I was on the wind up but I would have been a bit concerned if they were offering those odds for him to stay.  

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was on the wind up but I would have been a bit concerned if they were offering those odds for him to stay.  

i'd be betting big if i was offered those odds

Â