Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

No problem with the first line :thumb: 

Her story is being sensationalised by the media, not her.  She was a single protester outside government buildings in Sweden on a school day.  Depending on which media outlets you read, she's either a kind of freedom fighter, or a threat.  She's just using the cameras being pointed at her, to spread her agenda/message, which is "can we look at the environmental issues and start doing something about it before it's too late (as per the material I've read)". 

I won't comment on her mental health as that's all speculative.  Only she and her close friends and family know what she's thinking, or how she's feeling.

The hatred is a significant thing, but as I said earlier, the only reason she's being hated is because of how certain parts of the media portray her.  Is she really a threat?  Is she really dangerous?  I don't think so, I just think they're using her message, to vilify her to counter her message.  Is there anything really wrong with wanting to protect our environment?  I don't think so.  If it makes money, so be it.  Someone will make money out of it, a bit like the companies that do nothing but rip parts of the planet apart do.  I'd rather side with a environmentalist than a company hell bent on pulling oil out of the ground until it's all gone, or farmers who rip down 150 acres of rain forest every (source http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm). 

She's 16 an doesn't know anything about the world, I can see why you think that.  I think you mean that she's not old or responsible enough to realise how the current society is set up, how people consume etc - but to be honest, does she really need to know that?  When she's evidently read papers on the trends of current environmental/ecological change?  I'm not so sure.  Maybe she is campaigning to a change to the normal consumerism?  Again though, if that helps stop us essentially killing out our own race, is it that bad?

Lastly, she sailed across the ocean with a sail boat (admittedly, with a diesel motor to be used as an emergency), but she didn't do it using fossil fuels where she didn't need them - so that's false. 

I agree with most what you say - regarding her mental health, yes it's speculation, I cba to find the right video but she says that, quote unquote, 'things are not right in hear head and get mixed up' in reference to her condition. I feel like putting her up against internet trolls and hatred might not be best for her, but I don't know her, so I might be wrong. Maybe it helps her.

My issue isn't with helping the environment. It's, as I said, with sensationalist media. I feel that putting up people like Greta or previously Al Gore (who has been proven to be lying) is actually putting a bad name on environmentalism. People call bullshit on it and ridicule it. This opens up a way to ridicule other stuff which possibly we shouldn't be doing, like affect of the CO2 and the 'anti climate change' circus goes on. 

And as for the sail boat, her crew actually took the plane - which leads more people to ridicule the whole thing.  

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I agree with most what you say - regarding her mental health, yes it's speculation, I cba to find the right video but she says that, quote unquote, 'things are not right in hear head and get mixed up' in reference to her condition. I feel like putting her up against internet trolls and hatred might not be best for her, but I don't know her, so I might be wrong. Maybe it helps her.

My issue isn't with helping the environment. It's, as I said, with sensationalist media. I feel that putting up people like Greta or previously Al Gore (who has been proven to be lying) is actually putting a bad name on environmentalism. People call bullshit on it and ridicule it. This opens up a way to ridicule other stuff which possibly we shouldn't be doing, like affect of the CO2 and the 'anti climate change' circus goes on. 

And as for the sail boat, her crew actually took the plane - which leads more people to ridicule the whole thing.  

I get it. 

Well sensationalist media is a problem both sides.  And it's becoming worse as media outlets struggle to survive due to the internet.  So they make stories more sensational so people bother to read them.  It's not a good time.

So Greta did use a sail boat, it was her CREW who used a plane.. So what you said initially was either a lie (which is bad for false information spreading to people who don't fact check), or sensationalism ( :D ) or you've been misinformed (back to lies!).  You've got to be more careful with words - they're extremely powerful. 

;) 

• Like 1

He deserved a bit of a kicking tbh. 

"where should I protest against the dangers of climate change? I know, I'll disrupt people using one of the greenest forms of public transport" 

If you want to protest against climate change that badly, go lie down on the motorway, dickhead, and leave electrified rail alone. What an own goal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He deserved a bit of a kicking tbh. 

"where should I protest against the dangers of climate change? I know, I'll disrupt people using one of the greenest forms of public transport" 

If you want to protest against climate change that badly, go lie down on the motorway, dickhead, and leave electrified rail alone. What an own goal. 

Yeah it does seem like a bit of an own goal.

I can kinda see the point they wanted to make - they basically wanted to make a point about a need to substantially change the way we live to save the planet, and disrupt big business that is a primary source of the harm we are doing to the planet.

Which is a cool idea and everything, but at the end of the day pissing off commuters who, with the best will in the world, need to get to work for basic needs of themselves and their families, and are actually using a fairly green option to do so, probably is a bit of an own goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah it annoyed me.

I'm sympathetic to their cause, but disrupting people who are using electric trains rather than cars. Wtf?

Did you see the idiot last week that blocked off a bridge, confronted a cyclist that wanted to get past, and told them they should have got the bus? There's some right morons involved. 

• Haha 1

XR have had a bit of a PR slapping there. They’ve been tolerated and even quite well received when they’ve blocked roads and airports. It’s an inconvenience, but you can see the point.

Disrupting mass public transport? Didn’t really think that one through.

I suspect they’ll be back to sitting in the road quite soon.

Or perhaps they’ll double down and start slashing bicycle tyres.

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Don't **** with the London commuters. 

Canning Town at that time in the morning? Lots of manual workers, lots of site workers who will get docked if they are late. Truly a dumb place to pick. Richmond or Crouch End and they'd just have had a few polite requests asking if they wouldn't mind awfully......

A friend signed me up to XR, then he got kicked out :)

From internal communications it's clear that they're really pissed off about yesterday.

If what I'm reading is true? The tube action was unanimously voted down by XR's strategy group, but some individuals decided to do it anyway.

They're actually considering cancelling a few demos, to work out how best to deal with loose cannons in the ranks?

• 2 weeks later...

Fracking banned in UK.

The government has banned fracking with immediate effect in a watershed moment for environmentalists and community activists.

Ministers also warned shale gas companies it would not support future fracking projects, in a crushing blow to companies that had been hoping to capitalise on one of the new frontiers of growth in the fossil fuel industry.

The decision draws a line under years of bitter opposition to the controversial extraction process in a major victory for green groups and local communities.

The decision was taken after a new scientific study warned it was not possible to rule out “unacceptable” consequences for those living near fracking sites.

The report, undertaken by the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA), also warned it was not possible to predict the magnitude of earthquakes fracking might trigger.

Fracking, also known as hydraulic fracturing, involves pumping water, chemicals and sand underground at high pressure to fracture shale rock and release trapped oil and gas.

The government said it would not agree to any future fracking “until compelling new evidence is provided” that proves fracking could be safe. The UK’s only active fracking site at Preston New Road in Lancashire was brought to an immediate halt this summer after fracking triggered multiple earth tremors that breached the government’s earthquake limits.

Grauniad

Which is great, but obviously disingenuous unless we stop subsidising fossil fuels abroad, as per the post above from June.

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Fracking banned in UK.

Grauniad

Which is great, but obviously disingenuous unless we stop subsidising fossil fuels abroad, as per the post above from June.

Fracking hasn't been 'banned', it has been 'suspended' until the government receive further evidence of safety. This distinction may well matter after the election.

Didn’t Cuadrilla pack up their equipment and go home back in September?

I know that’s not an official end to fracking, but it’s clearly not as easy or printable as they thought. So I’m not in the slightest bit convinced of this Tory pre election conversion to banning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

...and those Australian fires are still burning. Fire fighters are dying and towns being evacuated and homes being lost to the flames.

3.5 million dollars worth of fireworks going to be set off on Sydney Harbour bridge on New year’s Eve apparently.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

How close is Australia to being uninhabitable?

Well there’s loads of Australians there for a start, you throw in some toilet spiders and a load of fire and its pretty much there.

• Haha 3

Â