Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — An enormous chunk of Greenland’s ice cap has broken off in the far northeastern Arctic, a development that scientists say is evidence of rapid climate change. The glacier section that broke off is 110 square kilometers (42.3 square miles). It came off of the fjord called Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden, which is roughly 80 kilometers (50 miles) long and 20 kilometers (12 miles) wide, the National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland said Monday.

.jpg

In August, a study showed that Greenland lost a record amount of ice during an extra-warm 2019, with the melt massive enough to cover California in more than 1.25 meters (4 feet) of water.

https://www.mail.com/int/scitech/news/10174388-dismay-huge-chunk-greenlands-ice-cap-breaks.html#.1258-stage-hero1-1

• 1 month later...

For the first time since records began, the main nursery of Arctic sea ice in Siberia has yet to start freezing in late October.

The delayed annual freeze in the Laptev Sea has been caused by freakishly protracted warmth in northern Russia and the intrusion of Atlantic waters, say climate scientists who warn of possible knock-on effects across the polar region.

Ocean temperatures in the area recently climbed to more than 5C above average, following a record breaking heatwave and the unusually early decline of last winter’s sea ice.

The trapped heat takes a long time to dissipate into the atmosphere, even at this time of the year when the sun creeps above the horizon for little more than an hour or two each day.

Graphs of sea-ice extent in the Laptev Sea, which usually show a healthy seasonal pulse, appear to have flat-lined. As a result, there is a record amount of open sea in the Arctic.

“The lack of freeze-up so far this fall is unprecedented in the Siberian Arctic region,” said Zachary Labe, a postdoctoral researcher at Colorado State University. He says this is in line with the expected impact of human-driven climate change.

Grauniad

Yeah - Let's keep those burny power stations.

We really are just pinning all of our hopes on some unforeseen technological solution aren't we?

If global catastrophe causing hundreds of millions of people being displaced and/or killed doesn't happen in my lifetime, I'll be amazed

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, villakram said:

Naughty behavior from I presume Netflix and not Attenborough, looks bad either way. Short vid, with interesting information if a somewhat strong closing.

That is a load of YouTube conspiracy garbage. The woman is suggesting the documentary was implying Walrus were committing suicide over climate change. The reality is their habitats have shrunk to the point where they are more likely to be in contact with Polar Bears on land instead of being safe on floating chunks of sea ice like they used to. No one was hiding Polar Bears from shots, the point is the Walrus shouldn't even been there. Conservationists are now trying to tempt bears away from the Walrus groups to give them a chance at survival.  

Every autumn for about the last decade, the residents of Enurmino—a tiny, Russian village located along the Chukchi Sea—have witnessed a strange sight. Tens of thousands of Pacific walruses have exited the chilly ocean waters and assembled en masse along the shoreline.

This phenomenon, known as a “haulout,” occurs when large hordes of mostly females and calves pull themselves onto the beach to rest. The walruses climb on to shore because of declining sea ice cover.

“Typically, walruses spend most of their time at sea hauled out on ice floes as they forage for food on the ocean floor” explains WWF’s Nikhil Advani, “but as sea ice declines, they’re increasingly hauling out on land instead.”

Pacific walrus numbers reached record-low numbers in the early 1960s, but rebounded by the 1980s following significant conservation efforts. Unfortunately, the Pacific walrus population is once again in decline—with just 129,000 animals left.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/climate-change-puts-the-pacific-walrus-population-on-thin-ice

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That is a load of YouTube conspiracy garbage. The woman is suggesting the documentary was implying Walrus were committing suicide over climate change. The reality is their habitats have shrunk to the point where they are more likely to be in contact with Polar Bears on land instead of being safe on floating chunks of sea ice like they used to. No one was hiding Polar Bears from shots, the point is the Walrus shouldn't even been there. Conservationists are now trying to tempt bears away from the Walrus groups to give them a chance at survival.  

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/climate-change-puts-the-pacific-walrus-population-on-thin-ice

Another counter argument from last year when this all kicked off the first time  https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/climate-change-deniers-haul-out-a-daft-conspiracy-theory-about-attenboroughs-new-programme/

By the way, anybody want to take a guess at what London street beginning with the letter T the Global Warming Policy Foundation are based at?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, andym said:

Another counter argument from last year when this all kicked off the first time  https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/climate-change-deniers-haul-out-a-daft-conspiracy-theory-about-attenboroughs-new-programme/

By the way, anybody want to take a guess at what London street beginning with the letter T the Global Warming Policy Foundation are based at?

I see, they are a based in the offices of the Institute of Mining. It all makes sense. 

The most frustrating thing is the legion of seals in the comments section below the video all barking some variation of "I knew that Attenborough was a wrong'un!" without bothering to do any research into what they are watching.  

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I see, they are a based in the offices of the Institute of Mining. It all makes sense. 

The most frustrating thing is the legion of seals in the comments section below the video all barking some variation of "I knew that Attenborough was a wrong'un!" without bothering to do any research into what they are watching.  

There's a ton of rightwing thinktanks all located at the same address, 55 Tufton Street: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/55_Tufton_Street

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Somewhat, but even a broke clock... That is their strategy: find a small matter where you have made an error (a genuine mistake, of omission or an outright lie) and then they hammer that and use it to invalidate the rest of the message by association. It is possible to see this and be aware of it.

In this case the Walrus' have been doing that since the 70s at least, and hence the comment is applicable to the specific narrative presented in the netflix doc. It is really interesting the way the BBC series the following year didn't do that with the same footage and Attenborough was there too. Hence, my suspicion that this was an editorial/narrative discussion made on this side of the water, likely people caught up in the ongoing culture war. 

This caught my attention as polar bears are something of a bete noire for the GW folks as there were measured declines in the polar bear population (due to low sea ice ==> GW), hence demonstrating GW is real and in recent years they have seen the population numbers to rebound, which means GW is not real... sigh.

Combating global warming seems to have come at the cost of nature in many parts of Europe and people seem to have had enough. In Denmark, Norway, Germany and Sweden in particular people are wondering why the state is subsidising wind turbine parks in the middle of untouched nature which does anything but help the environment. The effects of digging up and putting roads in the middle of bogs in Scandinavia seems to have been vastly underestimated and releases much more stored Co2 than what the turbines can offset, and the noise, effect on local species and general issues surrounding ruining untouched nature is been vastly underestimated by governments across the globe. 

Surely there are much more nature friendly ways of producing green energy? The below 'wind park' in Smola, Norway has already killed close to 100 severely threatened sea eagles in less than a year of operation and due to ACER and EU rules most of the profits go to shell companies abroad rather than to the local community. Should we be using the few untouched areas of the world like below?

Nær 100 ørner drept på Smøla – nå venter mer vindkraft i fjell og kyst -  itromso.no

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

The below 'wind park' in Smola, Norway has already killed close to 100 severely threatened sea eagles in less than a year of operation

Who told you that?

Data I’ve seen tells a different story.

Since the wind farm was established twelve years ago, research has shown that one-third of deceased adult sea eagles died in a collision with the rotor blades of a wind turbine. That’s 57 individuals, all told.

Many of the birds that have died by flying into the wind turbines had their nesting territory within a five kilometre radius of the wind farm, meaning that the population in this area has dropped since the wind farm was built. The survival chances of a bird within this radius has gone from 96 to 94 per cent.

But the Smøla population as a whole has remained stable at 50 breeding pairs of eagles.

“This means that the birds living outside of the five kilometre limit are living well enough to make up for the population decrease within the wind park area,”

So 5 eagles a year, not nearly 100.

Also I saw a tv prog on wind farms, and it reported that where the community was able to benefit from some of the revenue they were accepted and popular. Where that isn’t the case, they aren’t.

you say “due to ACER and EU rules most of the profits go to shell companies abroad ”. I smell something there - where does that info come from? I might be wrong, but what you say sounds like it was gleaned from an anti EU, anti wind farm, global warming denier “source”.

Even the bit about the roads smells iffy.

Personally, concern about wildlife, raptors being killed, in particular is a real issue. Communities hosting wind farms should see benefits to counter the downsides, but what you’ve written doesn’t ring right with my understanding.

Â