Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The Sonny Rollins stuff on earlier was good, for those interested in such things. Fascinating chap.

Saw the first half an hour of the one featuring his 80th Birthday show, and it seemed really good. Will be on iPlayer at some point this week to watch the rest, I think.

Sky Atlantic air Luck tonight with Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte and Dennis Farina - looks to be about the shady side of horse racing.... could be good!!!

C4 start Homeland tomorrow night too - 930pm

Sky+ box set to record both....

I've been watching 'Luck' online as it was one I had been looking forward to. I'm three episodes in and I really like it so far. Well worth watching on Sky Atlantic tonight.

I haven't seen any 'Homeland' yet, although I have heard good things about the acting from Claire Danes in it. Why she hasn't been more heavily involved in TV is beyond me as she was brilliant years ago in 'My So-Called Life' too.

The first episode back of Walking Dead was much better than it had been going. Rick finally grew some balls.

I'd also highly recommend Person of Interest , the leads are great and it throws in enough little bits of wry humour every now and then, which too many American shows lack.

I cant watch Luck due to the fact that they actually kill horses in the making of it. Which I thought was a bit extreme.

It happens by accident, but it still happens.

You make it sound like they killed them for the fun of it when you say that. Apparently they were accidents as the horses fell over and had to be put down. This is a shame and better care should have been taken. Apparently further measures are being put in place to ensure that the horses are watched even more closely than they already were.

They have limited the amount of running the horses can do and have tried to be careful, yet accidents will always happen. It's sad, yet hopefully the new measures being put in place will stop the deaths. I believe two or three horses have died thus far.

I can understand why people will be put off by that, yet I'm not going to let it ruin what I am finding to be a very entertaining TV show.

Well I didnt mean it to sound like that, but it is true, horses are being killed in the making of it. Whether it's by accident or not makes no difference to me, they're being killed for a TV program.

Unfortunately that's enough to put me off. I actually did watch the pilot without knowing that horses were being killed and it was okay. Not too fussed that I cant watch the rest TBH.

Sky Atlantic air Luck tonight with Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte and Dennis Farina - looks to be about the shady side of horse racing.... could be good!!!

C4 start Homeland tomorrow night too - 930pm

Sky+ box set to record both....

I've been watching 'Luck' online as it was one I had been looking forward to. I'm three episodes in and I really like it so far. Well worth watching on Sky Atlantic tonight.

I haven't seen any 'Homeland' yet, although I have heard good things about the acting from Claire Danes in it. Why she hasn't been more heavily involved in TV is beyond me as she was brilliant years ago in 'My So-Called Life' too.

Cheers Briggaman - always good to hear if a program is any good!!!!

There's a new Aussie show called The Straits - about 3 episodes in - it's a cracking show. A "crime family" story set in the far North Queensland & the Torres Strait (the little gap between Aust and New Guinea). Check it out if you can get a hold of it.

Just watched a show called African American Lives on Youtube. It's about the genealogies and ancestry of African Americans and it is absolutely amazing.

I wonder how I can find out more about my own ancestry though, I know the village in Fujian province where my matrilineal line comes from (even visited it once) but I hardly know anything about the patrilineal one. Plus there are migrations to take into consideration and I want to know more about any of those that my ancestors might have taken part in.

Well I didnt mean it to sound like that, but it is true, horses are being killed in the making of it. Whether it's by accident or not makes no difference to me, they're being killed for a TV program.

Unfortunately that's enough to put me off. I actually did watch the pilot without knowing that horses were being killed and it was okay. Not too fussed that I cant watch the rest TBH.

Do you ever watch equestrian sports?

Ah right. I forgot Sky were only a few days behind the American feed. IIRC it's the same story with Fringe. I'm not liking these new 'mid-season breaks'. [rhetorical]Isn't that what a 'season' is supposed to be?[/rhetorical]

In US TV, a season is typically September through May, with the networks aiming for 26 episodes (though cable channels like HBO, AMC, etc. have standardized on 13 episodes). The nature of filming schedules and so forth practically means that there's typically no new episodes from mid December through late January (which allows the networks to make November and February all new episodes for that pair of sweeps months).

Do you ever watch equestrian sports?

Had to google what it was :oops: ... but nope, never.

In US TV, a season is typically September through May, with the networks aiming for 26 episodes (though cable channels like HBO, AMC, etc. have standardized on 13 episodes). The nature of filming schedules and so forth practically means that there's typically no new episodes from mid December through late January (which allows the networks to make November and February all new episodes for that pair of sweeps months).

I've heard of the sweeps before, but I hadn't remembered it actually splitting a series in 2. Maybe that's because we never used to get the American shows literally 48 hours after they had aired in America. So maybe we're just being exposed to it's effects now. I remember while watching 'Lost' that they changed the way it did things to be more like the UK system because of the fans' desire to see more of the show on a more regular basis. Anyway, the breaks are over now and I can get back to slobbing in front of more TV :nod:

Â