Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

It's an interesting adaptation, in so much as it's taken the source material and stretched it to breaking point.

It hasn't quite won me over yet - I much prefer the idea of the mist being a source of unspeakable lovecraftian horrors rather than, well, this weird mish mash of that and apparently your own nightmares. Or something. 

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Trying out The Mist. Impressed so far. Wife shouted at me twice for turning the volume up. Quite a bit like stranger things.

Is this based on the film? Loved the film

On 18/07/2017 at 23:55, villa4europe said:

Finished the leftovers, just brilliant, jumped around and went off in so many different places but the ending was superb, the love boat episode, the scene in the penultimate episode where Kevin reads the untitled love story

i know a lot of people won't like it or get it but it's ridiculously underrated for me, how it's got I think 1 Emmy nomination is beyond me, Carrie coon and Justin Theroux should have had nods as well as best drama

Yup. Incredible series and like you say, Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon are just excellent. 

I thought it ended very strong too, was probably the perfect ending. 

One of my favourite shows ever, don't understand why it doesn't get more love. Part of me thinks it's cos of the Damon Lindelof connection.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is it as good as the film? Might have to start this after I finish prison break 

I'd say that the pilot was really good. It's definitely worth a watch. 

It's not available on Netflix or Prime as far as I know. It's a Spike production so it's on that channel in the US, no idea about the UK. I assume it's not officially anywhere for us. I watch it via other means.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Is it as good as the film? Might have to start this after I finish prison break 

Based on the first 4 episodes, it is not as good as the film, no. It is loosely based on the film/novella, as in, there is a plume of apparently inescapable mist descending on a small town, with weird stuff coming out of it.

Did you see Under the Dome? Well, if you know the original novel, it's a very similar production. They've taken the key characters, and the main plot element, plus used a few set  pieces and storylines from the source material, and then ran with it. To the detriment of the show I believe.

If you were to watch The Mist in isolation, having not read the short story or seen the film, you might enjoy it, if you like stuff like Walking Dead. If you're going in expecting a 10 episode version of the film you're going to be very disappointed.

I mentioned it on the previous page, but I must say it again - Bosch is excellent. 

Some Wire stars in there as well - Cedric and Marlo!

I'm still watching Fargo, and doing it the old school way of one episode every Wednesday night.

Thought the last episode (8 - land of denial) was stand out brilliant. It could be watched as a one off stand alone thing and be great, but also took the story so far and messed with the format. Loved it. 

Saying that, it is currently the only TV I'm watching. I'd say so far in July I've watched about 5 hours of TV, with Fargo making up 3 of that and the rest being 'news'. Limiting my TV watching started off as a little experiment, but it's really worked. We were slipping in to that old folks thing of just sitting in front of the box in the living room of an evening, watching whatever was least bad on the traditional channels. Perversely, having 100 channels kinda made us realise more telly was just more crap. So it gets knocked off and we now use more of the house! Music on, baking cakes, or kids on x-box, or sat out on the patio with a blue tooth speaker, an hour up the allotment, a 30 minute walk along the beach. So yeah, we shook the habit a good few months ago and it's all worked.

Saying that, 4 of us sat outside on the grass, wrapped up warm, a laptop, a kindle and two i-pads....is that really progress?

• Like 1

Iron Fist has been renewed for a second series, with Scott Buck, who appears to be rather bad at his job, ditched and replaced by a bloke last involved with Sleepy Hollow... Hmm. Well Buck was bad (see Inhumans above) so better than nothing. Hints Rand might actually have the outfit this time as well.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iron Fist has been renewed for a second series, with Scott Buck, who appears to be rather bad at his job, ditched and replaced by a bloke last involved with Sleepy Hollow... Hmm. Well Buck was bad (see Inhumans above) so better than nothing. Hints Rand might actually have the outfit this time as well.

Not knowing much about the inhumans why is it shit. Trailer looked decent enough.

On July 16, 2017 at 14:04, theboyangel said:

Read and loved all the books.

great stories - glad to hear the series is decent.

So it's based on Michael Connelly's books? It can rain my last week of vacation for all I care. Have to watch this and Ozark.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

So it's based on Michael Connelly's books? It can rain my last week of vacation for all I care. Have to watch this and Ozark.

The seasons are based on elements of the following: 

Season 1 -  City of Bones, Echo Park, and The Concrete Blonde

Season 2 -  Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote.[

Season 3 - The Black Echo and elements of A Darkness More Than Night,

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, heffoman said:

Not knowing much about the inhumans why is it shit. Trailer looked decent enough.

The characters aren't very good and Marvel is desperately trying to force them into everything as a replacement for the X-Men because Fox owns those rights. The best character doesn't speak. They also rely on being just the wrong side of daft.

And everything about the adaptation looks bad. The costumes look cheap (and wrong), the effects look really bad, Medusa looks **** hilarious and the effects on her hair are truly dreadful, it's show runner is best known for being behind Iron Fist, which was a show of mixed fortunes done on too small a budget, rushed and embarrassed of itself. And this has some similarities but turned up to a million, as also behind the final seasons of Dexter which were apparently rubbish I'm reliably informed. 

It's going to be shit.

Â