Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I will and I will deffo watch the last few eps again as maybe I was burned out after binge watching it perhaps? It is very well done I agree and its an amazing visual treat but I felt it slowed down too much compared to the first half of the series to the point where I fell asleep. I absolutely love a slow build but there's glacial and then there's stationary. 

Having not read the book, I'm in agreement, there are certainly some filler  episodes. The one about the back story of Mad Sweeny didn't appear to move the story anywhere.

Will still watch the next series though

American Gods does a lot of world building and filling back story, because they have to really, partly to fill out 3 series (it's not a small book but the plot isn't that convoluted, getting 30 odd episodes from it is a push), partly because the ideas Gaiman builds the book from lend themselves to going down rabbit holes and expanding what the book offers, and partly because the ideas take time to show rather than read.

An awful lot of the first series isn't from the book. I think the series ends around 100 pages in. But whole episodes, plots and characters aren't there in the book. They were added with Gaiman's input and they help develop it. I really enjoyed that first series even with the episodes clearly filler on the grand scheme of things, because it all works so well. Even episode 7. About the only thing I'd criticise it for is trying to spin a mystery out for the series when it actually solves it for everyone a month earlier. And sooner if you're paying attention and know what to look for. The reveal in the final episode is built up and overwrought but is completely damp because the audience knows already, because the show told them 3 episodes before. Or they worked it out before then. Perhaps even in the first episode.

But otherwise it's been one of the best things on TV recently. Might be the best thing I've seen for a while. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

half way through orange is the new black season 5, they've changed it with the pacing and not for the better, for the first time i think its ran out of steam

I haven't seen season 5 yet, but my sister, who would class it as her absolute favourite show, says season 5 has been crap. For the same reasons, a bad pace change.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I could never get into OITNB. Must have given it up after about 10 episodes of season 1, is it worth trying to start again or did i get a general feel for it?

I thought series one was the best tbh. By series three I just didn't like/connect with a single character so I sacked it off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I could never get into OITNB. Must have given it up after about 10 episodes of season 1, is it worth trying to start again or did i get a general feel for it?

I think for 3 seasons it was excellent. It does evolve with each season though so by season 3 it was a very different show than season 1. Season 1 is pretty much all about Piper, but by season 3 she's probably still the "lead" character, but not by much. Everyone else is much more involved, it became a show about everyone.

I thought season 4 was a drop in standard, but still rather good. But sounds like Season 5 has gone down the pooper.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think for 3 seasons it was excellent. It does evolve with each season though so by season 3 it was a very different show than season 1. Season 1 is pretty much all about Piper, but by season 3 she's probably still the "lead" character, but not by much. Everyone else is much more involved, it became a show about everyone.

I thought season 4 was a drop in standard, but still rather good. But sounds like Season 5 has gone down the pooper.

Yeah I'm not getting on with 5 at all. Shame, I enjoyed all seasons up to this.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah I'm not getting on with 5 at all. Shame, I enjoyed all seasons up to this.

I finished it the other day. Still not sure why.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If you like female prison tv shows watch wentworth prison x10 better than OITNB

There's also a Spanish show called Locked Up which is basically a OITNB rip off. In only watched a few episodes but the other half is a big fan.

I just want to add again...prison break is awesome. i am doing about 3 episodes a day that addicted to it. What a show

I am on the start of season 2, episode 4 please tell me it stays as good! 

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If you like female prison tv shows watch wentworth prison x10 better than OITNB

It's the light heartedness and the flashbacks that made OITNB, part of the problem is its spread itself too thin, lots of characters, the flashbacks for the main characters had been done, good characters like red and Suzanne just became part of the crowd, I personally don't find most of the Latino inmates that interesting and the white supremacy inmates have always been shite

19 hours ago, Genie said:

Anyone watching Love Island? (asking for a friend) :ph34r:

I am.

The other half was watching it when we were on holiday so I've got into it.

It's actually brilliant.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I am.

The other half was watching it when we were on holiday so I've got into it.

It's actually brilliant.

I'm enjoying it too, last week was superb.

Like you, I'm piggy backing on my OH tuning in but did watch it last night even though she was out :blush:

I also see it as generating 'credits' with the wife for when the football season starts :D 

Â