Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I'm sure it'll be good but I hope they keep the weird fiction influence of the first series because that is what made it interesting. It looks a bit clean cut and very Michael Mann from that trailer alone.

There was a fair bit of Ligotti influence in the first season which made me happy as a big happy thing (he's up there with my favourite writers).

I'm sure it'll be good but I hope they keep the weird fiction influence of the first series because that is what made it interesting. It looks a bit clean cut and very Michael Mann from that trailer alone.

There was a fair bit of Ligotti influence in the first season which made me happy as a big happy thing (he's up there with my favourite writers).

I've been reading a bit of Mieville recently. Decent.

This season is in California and with there being no shortage of nutters *coughscientologistscough* there, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets weird.

You just know that Vince Vaughn is going to knock this out of the **** park, be absolutely incredible in his role and almost, almost make you forgive him for some of the shite he's served up the last decade...

And then go back to making crap again.

So Vaughn to pull a Mcconaughey?

• Like 1

http://www.slashfilm.com/hbo-ballers-trailer-dwayne-johnson/

cant find it on youtube yet but the trailer for a new HBO program called ballers is out, they describe it as NFL entourage which looks pretty close tbf and to me at least sounds great, produced by mark wahlberg, the rock is the main character 

i'll be all over that

• Like 2

MCConaughry, Vaughn, Farrell are all actually good actors but all 3 have made some awful career decisions/chasing the money. in Farrell case he was brilliant in In Bruges and just has a problem picking too many scripts

Three episodes of Daredevil down.

It's pretty good.

Cox is a decent Murdock and Daredevil. There's some subtlety to his Murdock, a man by day who exhibits cold control of the devil inside him. His Daredevil has a ferocity and elegance. Rosario Dawson is good as Night Nurse but hasn't, thus far, had much to do. The rest of the cast at this point hops between decent and a bit ropey. Foggy is a particular issue. It's a bit of a thankless character to play, in essence comic relief as well as a foil for Murdock, but Elden Henson is delivering half of his lines with absolutely no charisma, conviction or believability. It bares more than a passing resemblance to child's play performance at times. Leland and Wesley 3 episodes in are playing 2 dimensional characters with tongue firmly in cheek and hurling ham at the scenery whilst chewing on it, though in fairness Wesley at least carries some professional menace, a man in a sharp suit orchestrating things but with the threat of violence behind the tie.

The issues with the cast aren't helped by some clunky exposition laden dialogue. There are some absolute thumpers in the script early doors. Foggy 15 mins into the first episode may as well break the fourth wall and just turn to the audience to explain his and Matt's relationship, while in Urichs first scene a relationship is established by having 2 old acquaintances tell each other what their relationship is. It's a bizarre scene that with only small changes becomes far more convincing.

The plot is fairly straight forward so far, and doesn't skimp on action. Murdock and Nelson have newly founded their law firm, Murdock by night turns vigilante and beats/tortures/generally harms suspects in an attempt to influence the case or just dole out a more animal justice. The wider plot ties quite neatly (albeit more or less superficially) to the aftermath of the Avengers. It's not award winning stuff but it's generally well done and engaging.

The 3 episodes have shone particularly, though, with the action. The series opens with an action scene that recalls (a little too closely, perhaps) Batman Begins first true Batman appearance, but with a much more flashy and choreographed fight. It sets the tone nicely. Episode 2 has a showpiece fight scene that is clearly inspired by the Raid movies, albeit notably televisual. I can't recall any other series that has such an ambitious brawl in it, with some clever camera tricks adding to the flair. It's not all perfect, there are a fair few whiffed moves (notably some very obviously pulled punches), and, and this could just be me in my tired state at the moment, the dark setting and fast elaborate moves appropriate to Daredevil make the fights occasionally difficult to follow. It isn't so much 'what the **** is going on?' as 'how did he hit him there again?'.

There was a lot of talk of this being a darker, more violent endeavour for Marvel, and that's certainly the case. Even in these early episodes there has been gore and body horror - bone protruding through flesh, limb breaks, stabbings, some basic but fundamentally grim torture... It's not playing to the same audience as Agents of Shield. It's grimier, more exploititive.

There's some nice cinematography too. The picture is very dark, but there are some striking images, again particularly around the action scenes. There's even a good simple take on portraying Murdock's heightened senses.

It bodes well for the remaining 10 episodes, and even where there are flaws (the ropier performances, occasionally ham fisted dialogue, etc), the fundamental enjoyable nature of the show shines through it. Its certainly better than a number of its contemporaries.

Worth watching a couple of episodes and seeing if its for you even if you have no interest in any of the other MCU stuff.

its the action that surprised me, more violent then i was expecting, at times more gore too, the 2nd episode almost went full oldboy

did like how they tied it in to the avengers, expecting more, still not sure if he'll pop up in civil war seeing as he doesnt have a huge role in the comic but at the same time i think they;ll need everyone they can get their hands on to make that film work

Edited by villa4europe

I don't see him in Civil War. Civil War won't be much like the comic at all, IMO, sadly. They'll take the major story beats and include those (probably with Black Panther taking the Spiderman role) but that's not going to be mass brawls of heroes, sadly. It'll be a much smaller film.

I'll be surprised if the Defenders appear before Infinity War on screen. And even that isn't certain IMO.

Daredevil bodes well for the other series though. I'm not a fan of Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage is 2 steps from vaguely racist caricature, but Iron Fist can be an interesting and very different hero for them, and if they match the Daredevil standard to date, they're on to a winner.

cant find it on youtube yet but the trailer for a new HBO program called ballers is out, they describe it as NFL entourage which looks pretty close tbf and to me at least sounds great, produced by mark wahlberg, the rock is the main character 

i'll be all over that

Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lfITfxMDI

• Like 1

i'll be all over that

Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lfITfxMDI

Cruuuuz @0.17 \o/

Seems like something I should like, but it looks like garbage

Edited by abdomlahor

Â