Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I liked the first two seasons of elementary but then series 3 came along and the menage a trois was completely unappealing

my sky+ decided not to bother after the mid season break so i havent seen the 2nd half, not overly bothered tbf, agree they'd ruined the balance, before that it was one of my favourite things on tv

Daredevil has been excellent so far, i'm five episodes in and it's been well written, well directed and (mostly) well acted with a great balance between it's dark tone and the usual splashes of Marvel humour.

The characters have a decent amount of depth, and no story arc seems forced. I absolutely love D'Onofrio as Kingpin, they've given a great actor a character with some real meat and bones and as a result he's way more interesting than the usual 2 dimensional shallow psychopath.

One thing that has surprised me is just how violent it is. I’d read they’d turned it up a notch, but some scenes (the car door in particular) were startlingly gruesome. Although having said that none of it seems misplaced and just adds to the overall darker tone.

Oh, and that corridor fight scene in episode 2 - Oh my word, that was just glorious.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series pans out now.

Especially looking forward to the rest of it now.

Watched the first episode today and going to get through a bunch more. Was definitely surprised with the violence in the first episode. The fight scenes are fantastic.

• Like 1

My only issue so far with Daredevil's fight scenes are that its often a little too obvious punches are being pulled. They don't sell the hits terribly well and often it's a bit too clear there's not been a connection.

But the ambition, and standard besides the above, is fantastic, a cut above the usual fare.

on my netflix - 

finished watching -

orange is the new black - really good, thought it would be more aimed towards women but its not

started watching - 

daredevil - really good, pretty dark and violent, not really over the top superhero stuff

house of cards - the missus doesnt like that she cant understand half the yank politics stuff so its on the back burner

the returned - really unsure at the moment

still to watch - 

damages, the bridge, the killing, lilyhammer, marco polo, fargo, breaking bad, better call saul, the shield, luther, arrested development, person of interest, the river, lie to me

so yeah ive got a bit to go yet...

Anything to recommend on Netflix/Prime Instant video? I'm struggling to justify my subscriptions at the moment.

Same here. Will watch Fargo next, but NF really needs a lot more decent films. Edited by mjmooney

Anything to recommend on Netflix/Prime Instant video? I'm struggling to justify my subscriptions at the moment.

Same here. Will watch Fargo next, but NF really needs a lot more decent films.

Definitely

Not sure how it works with sky but I think sky gets all the good films leaving netflix to pick up the film4 BBC and independently financed films, think I've had it for 3 months now and probably watched 4 films (not including documentaries which are pretty good)

on my netflix -

finished watching -

orange is the new black - really good, thought it would be more aimed towards women but its not

started watching -

daredevil - really good, pretty dark and violent, not really over the top superhero stuff

house of cards - the missus doesnt like that she cant understand half the yank politics stuff so its on the back burner

still to watch -

damages, the bridge, the killing, lilyhammer, marco polo, fargo, breaking bad, better call saul, the shield, luther, arrested development, person of interest, the river, lie to me

I really enjoyed 'The Returned'. How far in are you?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty decent for a bit of light comedy. A bit feminine in its demographic but is quite clever. And a couple of excellent Mad Men cameos.

• Like 2

The Killing

The Bridge

House of Cards

Archer

Community

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sons of Anarchy

Battlestar Galactica

This is England '86

Luther

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Orange is the New Black

Breaking Bad (obvs)

Dexter

Better Call Saul
Fargo (TV show, although th emovie is excellent too)
Friday Night Lights (again, TV show and movie)

Arrested Development
The Office

The League

Black Mirror

American Horror Story

The Shield
Bloodline

Utopia

I haven't seen everything on that list but I've seen a lot. And by all accounts they're all ranging from very good to incredible.

If there's anything on there you haven't seen then go for it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

on my netflix -

finished watching -

started watching -

still to watch -

I really enjoyed 'The Returned'. How far in are you?

1 episode, it didnt grab me and seemed full of holes, as implausible as it is that she came back i could accept it because thats the name of the game, but the reaction to her coming back was even more implausible 

also seem like the opposite of the leftovers! which to be fair i really wasnt sure on until about 3 episodes in and then absolutely smashed 

Finished Bloodline last night.

Impressed with it, especially the final four episodes. Top notch acting throughout.

You were about 5 episodes in when I started it, I finished it about 3 weeks ago :o

What took you so long? :P

I really liked it. 

• Like 1

Impressed with it, especially the final four episodes. Top notch acting throughout.

You were about 5 episodes in when I started it, I finished it about 3 weeks ago :o

I really liked it. 

Haha - I tend to just watch a couple of episodes a week, unless i’m really binging on something (i’m looking at you Daredevil).

The only downside of the whole series for me was the rather limp ‘twist’ at the end with Danny’s son showing up. It struck me as a little bit cobbled on so that a second series (due next year) was justified.

I think the whole thing could have been resolved in 13 episodes and i’m a bit worried the second series will be a more diluted affair without the magnificent Ben Mendolsohn.

• Like 1

I really liked it. 

Haha - I tend to just watch a couple of episodes a week, unless i’m really binging on something (i’m looking at you Daredevil).

The only downside of the whole series for me was the rather limp ‘twist’ at the end with Danny’s son showing up. It struck me as a little bit cobbled on so that a second series (due next year) was justified.

I think the whole thing could have been resolved in 13 episodes and i’m a bit worried the second series will be a more diluted affair without the magnificent Ben Mendolsohn.

I couldn't agree more. Introducing Danny's son felt very much an afterthought to the series to keep it alive for a second. I can't even see where they're going to go with that story line to make the second series interesting. It's a shame they have killed off Danny really, as his character was great, and was acted really well. The rest of the family are quite "safe" so I really don't know where they're going to take it. Unless Danny's son is a bit dark and edgy, but I think it would be a bit shit to be honest.

Unless his son is like Veronica Mars and starts poking around the death of his dad like a detective. That would be even shitter.

Edited by PieFacE

The Killing

The Bridge

House of Cards

Archer

Community

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sons of Anarchy

Battlestar Galactica

This is England '86

Luther

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Orange is the New Black

Breaking Bad (obvs)

Dexter

Better Call Saul

Fargo (TV show, although th emovie is excellent too)

Friday Night Lights (again, TV show and movie)

Arrested Development

The Office

The League

Black Mirror

American Horror Story

The Shield

Bloodline

Utopia

I haven't seen everything on that list but I've seen a lot. And by all accounts they're all ranging from very good to incredible.

If there's anything on there you haven't seen then go for it.

That's fine if you like US serial dramas. Give or take the odd BB or BCS, I don't. I want more standalone movies - and not ones aimed at teenagers.

Â