Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I've been watching the Wire on re-run too, my Saturdays just aren't the same (Sky+) without it.

I've also been watching Newsroom on Tuesday nights on SkyAtlantic, which is pretty good.

I want more Scandi crime / political stuff to watch but can't find any on atm, I really do miss Boren and The Bridge

My brother has The Wire boxset but i couldn't get into it and gave up after the first few episodes. Is it worth sticking with it?

A question that has been asked and answered many times, but the answer is yes.

The Wire isnt supposed to be a quick hit TV show. It's not supposed to be episodic either, it asks quite a lot more of it's audience than that. The investment needed is quite high, the reward of course is that the pay off is so much better than it could possibly be if the show followed a more traditional format.

Personally the Wire had me hooked after the first scene (Video, no spoilers) but I can see why some people might take a bit longer to get into it. There are things referenced in the first episode which dont get resolved until two or three seasons down the line. There is a ton of stuff you will miss until you watch The Wire for a second time and see stuff in S1 that you would have no way of understanding until you have knowledge gained in S2-5. For me that makes the world more believable and I absolutely adore that. I'd say give S1 seven or eight episodes until you make a judgement call, because stuff will just 'click' at about that point and scenes and characters which you might not have got at the start will suddenly begin to make much more sense.

I'm still enjoying Friday Night Lights, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with how incredibly telegraphed a lot of the storylines are.

Nothing is surprising in it to be honest. They always drop some massive hint that it's going to happen, and just in case you don't remember it they include it in the "Previously on..." bit at the start just to ram it home.

I still love it, but that annoys me.

I'm really enjoying it too, I was a big fan of the film and I was't sure how it would translate to a tv show but I have to say I think it is better.

Can't say I agree with that, I absolutely love everything about the film, but the TV show... it's good, but I got a little bored about 12 episodes into season one. It got to the point for me where it was too much like the OC and there wasn't enough American Football. It got too American teen-soap for my liking.

I've been watching Breaking Bad back from season one with my dad since he'd never seen it and we're finally now up to date on Season 5, so now since we can't watch two or three episodes in succession and will have to wait each week I've started him on Dexter. We watched season one episode one tonight, I think he's going to be hooked. In other Dexter news, season 7 starts airing in the states in September. Can't wait, especially considering the massive cliff-hanger from the last episode of season 6 :D

My brother has The Wire boxset but i couldn't get into it and gave up after the first few episodes. Is it worth sticking with it?

Oh my God, yes.

Rev makes the point better than I could. But let's just say that, in my opinion, all the people who give up on The Wire after the first few episodes have made a much bigger mistake than they realise.

Greatest ever TV show.

Oh and I also agree with The Rev about Season 4. Comfortably the best, imo. The final episode of that season is an absolute masterpiece. Best 90 minutes of televeision there's ever been.

anyone else watch the riots in tehir own words?

but **** me there are some muppets out there

somewhere between the woman complaining that the kids ruined it by going stealing rather than attacking the police and the lad who complained that the police deserved it because they kept on searching him (before pouring about 30 bags of weed out of his bag) i lost my rag, but they did at least save the best till last, there was a guy who said taking part in the riots was like WW2, something theyd be able to tell their grandkids they took part in

If there was also a thread of the top ten tv characters ever, you could easily pick 10 from just The Wire, that's how brilliantly written it is.

(Though in reality it would be 8 from The Wire, plus Walter's Bishop and White)

Â