Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Anyway, I'm bored. Enjoy the rest of the show

Somehow I'm not the least bit surprised about this retort...there must be some cartoons on?

I genuinely don't know why you're so angry about this.

I think he played one of the Zombie extras and you missed the psychological distress of having no morality that he so subtly but superbly portrayed :)

Oh look it's one of the clique arrived to save the day! I can see what you're getting at but you have no idea at how to compose a sentence. :lol:

Anyway, I'm bored. Enjoy the rest of the show

Somehow I'm not the least bit surprised about this retort...there must be some cartoons on?

I genuinely don't know why you're so angry about this.

I think he played one of the Zombie extras and you missed the psychological distress of having no morality that he so subtly but superbly portrayed :)

Oh look it's one of the clique arrived to save the day! I can see what you're getting at but you have no idea at how to compose a sentence. :lol:

Well I'm both relieved and glad that not only have I saved the day but you have also managed to understand my poorly constructed sentence. Well done you.

My work here is done.

I just found it extremely cheesey and clichéd.

Maybe I'm in the minority. No I don't have any specific examples.

I'll happily admit that maybe the shoddy acting made it seem worse than it was.

Fair bit of snippy-ness going about the forums today (hands-up, from myself as well); I think it's finally happened...

...we've all been conversing so long that our menstrual cycles have synced.

Fair bit of snippy-ness going about the forums today (hands-up, from myself as well); I think it's finally happened...

...we've all been conversing so long that our menstrual cycles have synced.

**** off

;)

Having said that, you can still tell it's a "now" production due to the quality of the images. It would be interesting to see if they could make something that actually looks like it was filmed back then. I have seen it tried - I forget the name of the movie, but there was a recent one (set in the 50s) that had a nice grainy Technicolor (?) look. And "The Good German" was spot-on 40s noir-style black and white - the only thing that gave it away was the swearing and sex scenes.

It's a fact that roughly until 1940, human beings couldn't see in color :D

Semi-related: Sirius XM sets up the audio processors on their 60s on 6 channel to replicate the AM Top 40, sort of reverby sound... and that's one of the things I like about that station.

I don't have a problem with Mad Men being shot on modern-quality film, as it's definitely telling the story from a more modern vantage point; the early episodes exaggerated the smoking (every character bar two or three smokes like a chimney) and maybe even the sexism for contrast with modern times.

I watched "Whitney" the other day, its pretty crap to be honet but she is FIT! Same goes for 'New Girl' the asian looking girl is hot.

I'd be Cumming all over Whitney, given the chance...

IINM, she's also the co-creator of 2 Broke Girls.

IINM, she's also the co-creator of 2 Broke Girls.

Which is no doubt the reason Whitney is utter shite too then. Awful TV shows that just aren't funny.

I don't have a problem with Mad Men being shot on modern-quality film, as it's definitely telling the story from a more modern vantage point; the early episodes exaggerated the smoking (every character bar two or three smokes like a chimney) and maybe even the sexism for contrast with modern times.
I VERY much doubt that the smoking and sexism was exaggerated. I'm sure the US was much like the UK at the time, and I lived through it - virtually everybody smoked pretty heavily, and extreme sexism was completely taken for granted.

But given current sensibilities, I'll bet anything that there is little or no overt racism in it - yet that was equally endemic, and also totally taken for granted.

There's a fair amount of overt racism... though probably more anti-semitism.

Yes. A Tory MP campaigned on that in Birmingham in the 60s. He got elected too. I havent seen much Mad Men, but I doubt racism is represented on that extent in the show is it?

[i've spent almost an hour editing/scrapping/redoing this post...]

Among your Northeastern WASPs, though, the sort of overt crude racism you're thinking of was somewhat taboo even by then. The NE WASP elite was still playing blacks against Irish (and generally favoring the blacks) for a variety of reasons going back to the Civil War, by which I mean the English Civil War. There wasn't a whole lot of contact between blacks and WASPs, though, outside of servant-type situations (elevator operator, housekeeper, Pullman porter...); at the same time, the understanding for decades after the Civil War in the Northeast was that blacks didn't rock the boat and they'd have higher status than the Irish. The overt racism was much more from the groups threatened economically by the blacks. So there's a definite racist backdrop, mostly (especially early) in how invisible the blacks are, then bemusement at how alike yet different the black characters are. And season 5 (set in '66) is the most interesting in this context (with probably the most overtly racist incident of the series coming from, not coincidentally, the least WASPy (the only Catholic, as near as I can tell)).

For the northern white upper classes, saying nigger was not acceptable, but blacks had their place and, with effort, a few could be civilized through tokenism.

I had to Google "Northeastern WASP" btw. Quite relieved you werent talking about the insect because if insects held that much power in New England then I am bloody glad I live in Olde England!

Â