Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Just started the 3rd series of After Life and I might get some pelters for this, so I've put it in a spoiler :

Spoiler

The first series - grieving, lashing out, bitter. OK, I get it.

Second series - much of the same....getting mawkish now...too much use of the c word.

Third series - Am halfway through it. Nothing has changed. Same bitterness shown to other people and gawping at videos of his late missus whilst getting pissed.

I like Gervais in office and extras but this acclaimed comedy is too repetitive. 

(Puts tin helmet on)

• Like 1

Watched After Life in one sitting. Can't say too much as it will inevitably spoil it. I loved it and the last episode in particular. 2 of my favourite ever songs used quite effectively in it as well. Obviously I am now a **** wreck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Watched After Life in one sitting. Can't say too much as it will inevitably spoil it. I loved it and the last episode in particular. 2 of my favourite ever songs used quite effectively in it as well. Obviously I am now a **** wreck. 

I was the same. I think series 1& 2 had plenty of lump in throat moments. This one saved it all up for the last episode. 

• Like 2

Like others I did season 3 of After Life in one sitting last night. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was quite as good as the first 2 series. I liked the ending though which was very clever and very touching. 

For me Gervais is a genius. The Office, Derek and After Life are three of the best series I have ever seen. The way he can mix comedy and have a really touching element to it is a gift. 

• Like 2

On 15/01/2022 at 09:52, mottaloo said:

Just started the 3rd series of After Life and I might get some pelters for this, so I've put it in a spoiler :

Hide contents

The first series - grieving, lashing out, bitter. OK, I get it.

Second series - much of the same....getting mawkish now...too much use of the c word.

Third series - Am halfway through it. Nothing has changed. Same bitterness shown to other people and gawping at videos of his late missus whilst getting pissed.

I like Gervais in office and extras but this acclaimed comedy is too repetitive. 

(Puts tin helmet on)

Yeah I've tried it a couple of times and hated it.  Got through the first series OK but had to give up in the second, I just hated the writing and Gervais's acting is awful, as well as some of the other characters.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 14:41, BOF said:

How long does it take to get properly into its stride? I find it really hard to take to Jason Bateman playing Jason Bateman in everything, so that plus the general narrative that it was trying to piggyback off the success of Breaking Bad made me steer clear. I did watch 2 episodes but figured it wasn't worth it.

I watched about a season of it and thought it was complete hokum, gave up in the end. It's no Breaking Bad.

On 12/01/2022 at 23:37, tinker said:

Keep us informed as I started it but quit after the first episode, seemed like it was going the same way as The Fall, which descended into a farce after a decent start .

started OK. got silly. tried to be funny but wasn't. but weirdly didn't hate it

if you get really stuck for something then put it on. it doesn't require a lot of concentration. 5, maybe 6/10

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Re-watching The Expanse at the moment, I cannot recommend it enough. The best sci-fi show of all time.

The books are even better too.

I've been on an absolute bender with the Expanse the past week or two, watching the last three seasons (I watched the first three as they came out then kinda lost interest).

S4 was really, really good. S5 and S6 were good too, but not as good. I was kinda surprised that it ended well before the books did, leaving a bunch of plot points unresolved - I felt a bit shortchanged. I guess I need to pick up book 7 onwards to see how it actually ends?

I am struggling with this season of After Life a bit more than the previous two as well. I'll stick with it, but for all its good moments, it could do without Gervais dedicating a few minutes in each episode to just wanking himself off with monologues about how clever and atheist he is.

I'm a bit surprised at the love for After Life. I do enjoy it, and it's been quite poignant because I watch it with my wife who was losing her mother for the first two seasons and had recently lost her when we watched the third. I don't think it's top-tier TV though, and I'll be surprised if I remember it in a couple of years.

It does have funny moments and I think it's a good exploration of grief and loss - but it gets a bit rote after a while, and the whole thing is just a bit ... twee, I guess. Or something like that. It feels designed for mass market audience appeal, lots of heartwarming moments that would make a granny think "oh, that's nice" etc.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, and I can see why it's popular.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Anyone watched Midnight Mass on Netflix? It’s bloody brilliant, and absolutely terrifying! If you do watch, don’t google it or get any spoils as it’s all about the tension building.

One of the Youtube film review channels I watch reviewed it and said it was one of the best things they've ever seen. I'm not really into anything related to horror so I'll give it a miss, but I thought I'd just mention that I've also heard it's exceptionally good.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Sounds good. What channel/platform is that on? 

Be warned - season 1 of the Expanse is a bit slow and personally I didn't get into it for several episodes, but it's certainly worth sticking with. It gets better quickly and then just keeps getting better!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

One of the Youtube film review channels I watch reviewed it and said it was one of the best things they've ever seen. I'm not really into anything related to horror so I'll give it a miss, but I thought I'd just mention that I've also heard it's exceptionally good.

Be warned - season 1 of the Expanse is a bit slow and personally I didn't get into it for several episodes, but it's certainly worth sticking with. It gets better quickly and then just keeps getting better!

Thanks mate, will give The Expanse a try. I love sci-fi so it sounds interesting. I’m not great when the series are super long and there’s a million series, but it sounds like <10 eps per series and 6 series so should be doable.

I do like horror, and I would say that Midnight Mass falls in to that category, but it’s quite abstract horror… not like everyday stuff. Maybe give the first ep a try? It’s probably one of the best short series I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Thanks mate, will give The Expanse a try. I love sci-fi so it sounds interesting. I’m not great when the series are super long and there’s a million series, but it sounds like <10 eps per series and 6 series so should be doable.

I do like horror, and I would say that Midnight Mass falls in to that category, but it’s quite abstract horror… not like everyday stuff. Maybe give the first ep a try? It’s probably one of the best short series I’ve ever seen. 

Hmmm. Yeah, maybe I will give the first episode a try then. I should probably try something outside my usual comfort zone once in a while!

• Like 1

Â