Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finished Squid Game.

It's superb, definitely one of the shows of the year.

My only real question would be...

Spoiler

What was the point of the Policeman brother storyline? It just seemed to end abruptly with no real impact on the overall narrative.

• Like 4

Just started Stath let's Flat's last night as people always praise it, but erm, 2 episodes in feeling pretty lukewarm about it. He's SUCH a bellend. Dunno if I can stay with him for too long. Does it pick up?

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Finished Squid Game.

Hide contents

What was the point of the Policeman brother storyline? It just seemed to end abruptly with no real impact on the overall narrative.

Spoiler

Didn't some, but not all, of the video/photos get sent from his phone, not that it matters? Plus technically we never saw him dead (he could be injured in the water). I think all of that, along with 456 turning back from the plane means season 2 will close in on the whole setup. The policeman may become more apparent later. But as of right now I agree he was just a filler that may or may not be a setup for later.

Also, I watched the first 2 episodes dubbed because that's Netflix's default. It's only after I saw someone mocking the dubbing, and also reading about the differences between English subtitles and English CC subtitles that I even realised there were 3 ways to watch the show. Suffice to say the next 8 episodes were watched with original soundtrack and English (not CC) subtitles and it was definitely a much better experience. The first 2 were quite funny in a 70s hammy kung-fu vocals kind of way but it made for a completely different tone.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:
  Hide contents

Didn't some, but not all, of the video/photos get sent from his phone, not that it matters? Plus technically we never saw him dead (he could be injured in the water). I think all of that, along with 456 turning back from the plane means season 2 will close in on the whole setup. The policeman may become more apparent later. But as of right now I agree he was just a filler that may or may not be a setup for later.

Spoiler

Yeah, I suppose if there is a Season 2 then it could all come into play a bit more - as it stands it was all a bit 'Indiana Jones didn't need to be in Raiders of the Lost Ark' for me 😁

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, I suppose if there is a Season 2 then it could all come into play a bit more - as it stands it was all a bit 'Indiana Jones didn't need to be in Raiders of the Lost Ark' for me 😁

Spoiler

I got the impression there is definitely a season 2

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Just started Stath let's Flat's last night as people always praise it, but erm, 2 episodes in feeling pretty lukewarm about it. He's SUCH a bellend. Dunno if I can stay with him for too long. Does it pick up?

2 episodes? You are ahead of me. I gave up after 1. I didn't find him funny at all. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

2 episodes? You are ahead of me. I gave up after 1. I didn't find him funny at all. 

Yeah, I try to give a new show a couple of episodes as first couple might be finding their feet and they suddenly pick it up later, but there's nothing funny or impressive about it so far

Re. Squid Game discussion

Spoiler

The cop storyline is, IMO, a combination of an excuse to look behind the scenes a little and poke at the whole organisation of it, and set up for stuff they'll cover further in a second series. Not the cleanest way to do things as ultimately I'm not sure what its getting at is that interesting and it really doesn't go anywhere, but it is what it is.

Some criticism of the show, particularly around it's ending

Spoiler

I'm not sure I like the revelation of the final episode. It adds an eye catching twist, but I think it undermines the strongest elements of characterisation and... heart?... the show has. I know it ties into the wider themes, which is great, but still... It hurts it a little.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Finished Squid Game.

Hide contents

My thoughts on the "Shaggydog storyline"

Spoiler

It's largely a narrative device, to show us the ins of the guards and to show that it's not miles better for them (so a class allegory if you will) as they're sleeping in what are basically prison cells and are murdered if they even show their faces... so rather than purely spending time with the contestants you get to see some of the life as a guard. I guess it's either that or you have a guard turn face and sympathise with the contestants but then you have no narrative device to explain stuff to an unseen audience so... also it shows that the games have been going on for years so this is clearly hinting at some level of government/police corruption to smooth it over.

Plus it could be that Jun-ho is still alive... in fact I'm convinced he is alive. But it ties up a loose end in cass the showrunners decide to kill Jun-ho and have Gi-hun as the only "survivor" of the 2021 (2020?) game

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Hide contents

It's largely a narrative device, to show us the ins of the guards and to show that it's not miles better for them (so a class allegory if you will) as they're sleeping in what are basically prison cells and are murdered if they even show their faces... so rather than purely spending time with the contestants you get to see some of the life as a guard. I guess it's either that or you have a guard turn face and sympathise with the contestants but then you have no narrative device to explain stuff to an unseen audience so... also it shows that the games have been going on for years so this is clearly hinting at some level of government/police corruption to smooth it over.

Plus it could be that Jun-ho is still alive... in fact I'm convinced he is alive. But it ties up a loose end in cass the showrunners decide to kill Jun-ho and have Gi-hun as the only "survivor" of the 2021 (2020?) game

agree with all of that and also add

Spoiler

it gave the VIP story line a reason even if that was pretty poor, they were really badly written, you could also say that it tried to give at least some sort of background / story to the frontrunner or whatever he was called (the brother) but that it didnt really work

it also gave the show potential to go off in a direction that in the end it doesn't go, it was fairly obvious that they were always getting to round 6 and playing squid game but it gave the possibility of the show ending on a police raid and big violent action, the number of contestants dwindled but there could still be a huge violent finale, would be surprised as the show goes on in to series 2/3/4 if that doesnt happen one day, james bond you only live twice style

for a show that was good and i really enjoyed it does have some really poorly written parts the more i think about it

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Hide contents

I think you're spot on there - I still think it was a bit clunky though.

To be honest that storyline annoyed me because

Spoiler

There's absolutely no way someone, with no idea of what goes on there, could get away with pretending to be a guard for that long

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be honest that storyline annoyed me because

Hide contents

There's absolutely no way someone, with no idea of what goes on there, could get away with pretending to be a guard for that long

The bit that got me was 

Spoiler

That he was caught out by that Square supervisor.... who then got shot by the Front Man for revealing his face... so he got hold of his mask but then impersonated the Square mask for a while (meaning there was his Circle mask missing) and then went back to it no questions asked.... they should have picked up that he was missing when they did roll call next morning

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

The bit that got me was 

Hide contents

That he was caught out by that Square supervisor.... who then got shot by the Front Man for revealing his face... so he got hold of his mask but then impersonated the Square mask for a while (meaning there was his Circle mask missing) and then went back to it no questions asked.... they should have picked up that he was missing when they did roll call next morning

Yeah it made no sense.

Spoiler

He'd have been found out immediately when he was on the ferry. How would he have remotely known what to do? They're obviously an incredibly well drilled unit, he'd stand out like a sore thumb, mask or not

Also if I'm going to get reallllllly nitpicky then when the Front Man deduces he's been in his apartment because of the phone being put down on the other side, does he not have some sort of cleaner who keeps his rich apartment up to date and his whisky decanter stocked up? Would he not assume one of them was dusting it and put it back wrong?

Â