Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Looks like it could be good. That said, I'm in the minority of people that found the Mandalorian dreadful. Watched it with a friend and we agreed. I mean, we were laughing at it, it was that bad. And yet, everything I read anywhere was universal in its praise. Go figure. 

Didn't really do anything for me either. Generally I never take to these expanded universe things.

I didn't like the structure of the mandalorian, the continuity of it and how it all linked together but the show was OK in general

This I'll probably watch but at the same time I wish they'd just do something original... All that galaxy and even all that time line and still they seem to be playing it safe, they need to take a leaf out of marvels book and go find their own guardians of the galaxy 

22 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Finally watched Sabrina on Netflix. Pretty good if not annoying in parts. For some reason now I have a child, characters that are stubborn annoy me more.

Also didn't realise Lucy Davis had put on so much weight - almost didn't recognise her. Is it a medical thing?

Overcome eating disorders and put weight on from memory 

The Mandalorian is overrated but it is very good. It's biggest issues are it's structure is very game-y, it can't help itself going down the usual Star Wars rabbit holes (Jedi, the Force, the same bloody planets), and it goes silly at the end of the second series in some of its world building.

But it's easily the best televisual thing from the Star Wars universe in years and does some clever things with some of the founding touchstones of the series. The original film was heavily inspired by the samurai genre - famously it's basically a reskin of Hidden Fortress in many ways. Mandalorian takes similar inspiration from Westerns, but also threads the needle between the two with a heavy dose of Lone Wolf and Cub. It's supremely well made, ground breaking even with the Volume set, looks wonderful and has a great cast and excellent action.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Finally watched Sabrina on Netflix. Pretty good if not annoying in parts. For some reason now I have a child, characters that are stubborn annoy me more.

Also didn't realise Lucy Davis had put on so much weight - almost didn't recognise her. Is it a medical thing?

I wondered at first if it was a genetic thing but I don't think it has anything to with the Carrott's.

3 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I really am not a star wars fan but I do kinda like the Mandalorian. Don’t know if I’ll bother Boba Fett though 

Your second sentence proves the start of your first sentence 😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sne said:

Not having too big expectations for this upcoming "Alita Blade Runner" anime but the production value looks great so I'll give it a try. First ep out on the 13th

If memory serves, this has quite a convoluted standing in the Blade Runner universe. Something like, it's the sequel to a short film, which was a prequel to BR 2049, which is the sequel to BR. 

I also got really confused by the Alita reference in your post, I guess it's a typo? Alita Battle Angel is something completely unrelated to Blade Runner. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

If memory serves, this has quite a convoluted standing in the Blade Runner universe. Something like, it's the sequel to a short film, which was a prequel to BR 2049, which is the sequel to BR. 

I also got really confused by the Alita reference in your post, I guess it's a typo? Alita Battle Angel is something completely unrelated to Blade Runner. 

Yeah I know :D It's just that the visuals so far are pretty darn similar 

Alita: Battle Angel - SF AnytimeBlade Runner: Black Lotus Debuts First Trailer, Poster and Story Details  for the CG Anime Series - Comic-Con 2021Alita: Battle Angel is ready for battle, but do enough people care?BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS | Official Trailer | adult swim - YouTube

Edited by sne

I'm loving The Problem With Jon Stewart. 

The Daily Show was fantastic when he hosted it and this in that vein. Top stuff and I like the format where each episode is focused on one issue. So far they've focused on War, Freedom, and in this latest ep the Economy.

The Mandalorian is one of the very few things Star Wars related that was actually good.

Everything since Return of the Jedi has been pretty shit. 

Mandalorian was actually brilliant

• Like 3

I quite liked Rouge One and thought The Force Awakens was a solid 7/10, mainly because it was basically A New Hope. Everything else (The Mandalorian included) has been forgettable or poor imo. The look and production value on The Mandalorian is nice thou.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sne said:

I quite liked Rouge One and thought The Force Awakens was a solid 7/10, mainly because it was basically A New Hope. Everything else (The Mandalorian included) has been forgettable or poor imo. The look and production value on The Mandalorian is nice thou.

The Force Awakens was good and Rogue One was ok. Everything else has been shite. Solo, Rise of the Skywalker and The Last Jedi were all complete pony.

Mandalorian is better than any of that guff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

So, episode 6 of Squid Game, they say. No, you’re crying. You big softies.

(Jesus christ, that was a tough watch.) 

Squid Game is giving me nightmares. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Randomly saw an old episode of Boardwalk Empire the other day. That really was quality TV.  Has there been anything similar since? Tried Godfather of Harlem but wasn’t really feeling it. 

it was great, almost underrated now

its problem come the end was that all the 5 family stuff was a bout to unfold and for me personally be more interesting...and it wasnt going to be nucky anymore, he should have become like a mcnulty in the wire and the show just expanded and covered all the real life stuff

the obvious one for similar show is peaky blinders, you then have hell on wheels and deadwood which is set before it, the knick is about a decade before it

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it was great, almost underrated now

its problem come the end was that all the 5 family stuff was a bout to unfold and for me personally be more interesting...and it wasnt going to be nucky anymore, he should have become like a mcnulty in the wire and the show just expanded and covered all the real life stuff

the obvious one for similar show is peaky blinders, you then have hell on wheels and deadwood which is set before it, the knick is about a decade before it

Loved peaky and deadwood. Although the latter got me drinking whisky shots straight 😂 

Will check out the other two.

Â