Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Really, really, really disappointed by the first episode of true detective season 4. The dialogue is hammy and spoon feeds the audience like you would an infant, a dancing ghost gets you further into the story, and the music is awful. I really hope it improves.

The only good thing is Jodie Foster, but some of her exposition is awful.

I'm not going to labour a point as I don't want to spoil anything. All I'll say is that it's not quite as bad as season 2, but that's not a high bar.

Also a bit disappointed that the two leads are essentially the same character, just different ages. Both strong, clever, capable, and dour characters. No Marty and Rust combination 😔

Finished s4 of For All Mankind. It's really not bad, they manage to have a working alternate history about the space race and it's still solid after 4 seasons. I kinda like the idea that you could see it as a prequel to The Expanse (it's not) .

Apparently they are aiming for 7 seasons 

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 11:32, stuart_75 said:

All 7 are out there.

Wow this is terrible. Not even close to how good the films are. It's just really weird, like trying to be family guy but much less funny. I lasted 3 episodes and not sure why I started the 3rd

Rewatching Fargo box set, with a view to getting stuck into series 5. I since realised I only watched 1-3 which were brilliant but I am struggling to take to series 4....the one in the 50s with black and Italian gangs...I am up to episode 5 but it just ain't grabbing me.

Without asking for spoilers I hope those who have seen series 5 will recommend it.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Finished s4 of For All Mankind. It's really not bad, they manage to have a working alternate history about the space race and it's still solid after 4 seasons. I kinda like the idea that you could see it as a prequel to The Expanse (it's not) .

Apparently they are aiming for 7 seasons 

Same here. It was good definitely, but it did get more and more preposterous as the seasons progressed.

I also get the Expanse prequel argument. Narratively it fits pretty well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Rewatching Fargo box set, with a view to getting stuck into series 5. I since realised I only watched 1-3 which were brilliant but I am struggling to take to series 4....the one in the 50s with black and Italian gangs...I am up to episode 5 but it just ain't grabbing me.

Without asking for spoilers I hope those who have seen series 5 will recommend it.

I loved seasons 1-3 and started watching season 4 when it aired, but only finished it last week before starting season 5 because I couldn't get into it. I'm only 3 episodes in to season 5 and it's great so far.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Season 5 is up there with the best of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Finished Fargo tonight. The "Munch," what a character, only in Fargo would you find such a specimen. 

Hmmm I thought he was really dull and his whole story just felt really odd and out of place. Didn't really see the point to it. Got way too much screen time imo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Hmmm I thought he was really dull and his whole story just felt really odd and out of place. Didn't really see the point to it. Got way too much screen time imo.

Opinions, you gotta love em.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Season 5 is up there with the best of them

I wasn't too impressed at first, but I've warmed to it (one episode to go). Some nice digs at the Trump/Proud Boys mentality. 

• Like 2

I basically hate everything on TV, and I mean, E-V-E-R-Y-thing. Make that 95%. There's a sliver of stuff I enjoy, but it's small and fussily-curated. I'm just being honest, OK? I promise, I'm not a TV snob! I'm always willing to check out something new. But I feel kind regularly stunned at the stupidity of so much popular TV. Even stuff that's supposed to be critically acclaimed or whatever just feels embarrassingly inane and obvious, and worse, boring. I'd rather read, every time. 

but ...

I find myself newly and 100% addicted to Only Fools and Horses. I just get so lost in that late 1980s world of south London markets and tower block estates and the Trotters. It makes me so happy. There are a few understandable moments of awkward political incorrectness, but otherwise, there's so much unobtrusive compassion for the characters in the writing, I never feel alienated. I think the basic situation it depicts is still so relevant, too.

The wife and I do sometimes watch Silent Witness. I sing that little high note aloud during the opening, and we both snicker. We actively make fun of it though; can't say we're ever lost in it. We certainly don't take it seriously.

We got ourselves into a new show -- Who Is Erin Carter? -- that turned out to be one of the worst excuses for spending TV production funds that I have ever witnessed. It's style over substance to the nth degree. Just an utterly empty carcass of a show. It wasn't even funny, in the end. Just confused about what it wanted to be. Pure drivel.

I would have died if Del Boy had driven his Reliant Regal over to Barcelona and found a way to make money off the glittering vacuity that is Who Is Erin Carter? But they don't deserve Del Boy!

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Jeez. I also hate 95% of TV. But Only Fools and **** ing Horses is most definitely not in the 5%. 

I guess it must have some sort of exotic appeal to Americans. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Tonight's episode was just phenomenal.

I thought they were going to F up getting rid of Paul, I think it was Zach was against Paul but then switched on Jazz, I was screaming at the telly. 

• Like 3

The Traitors

Spoiler

The irony of Mollie telling Jaz to get stuff out in the open while keeping the fact she saw Harry get the shield a secret...beggars belief.

I think Harry's cockiness will end up costing him.

• Like 1

Â