Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Definitely Tobe Hoopers second best movie. 

Re. How Susan looked, the vampires sometimes use a 'glamour' to appear normal/attractive/young to their victims. There's a scene with the woman who runs the boarding house has been 'visited ' by the vampire version of her ex husband (the town drunk Weasel) - and she says something like 'I dreamt Weasel visited me, he was young and handsome again'. 

interesting question would be , say at age 60 the chance became available to be turned, would you do it ? (assuming vampires are real but I assume they are as I heard that quoted at the start of a documentary once years ago 😄

Not a single comment about The Traitors?

i love mafia/werewolf style games so it’s right up my street anyway but it’s genuinely gripping reality TV

I don't think I could accept watching the Traitors.

I've seen clips of it on Gogglebox, they covered the first series a bit at the time, and everything about it seemed awful. A show reveling in the worst aspects of human nature - deceit, shit stirring, manipulation, mob mentality - I just couldn't enjoy. We shouldn't be rewarding or celebrating that shit. And I'd also find it deeply annoying to watch a gameshow where a completely innocent contestant can be **** over by a witch-hunt.

Nah. Not for me. Or anyone imo.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've seen clips of it on Gogglebox, they covered the first series a bit at the time, and everything about it seemed awful. A show reveling in the worst aspects of human nature - deceit, shit stirring, manipulation, mob mentality - I just couldn't enjoy. We shouldn't be rewarding or celebrating that shit. And I'd also find it deeply annoying to watch a gameshow where a completely innocent contestant can be **** over by a witch-hunt.

I also saw the trailers, and decided not to bother. Not for any of the above laudable reasons, but just because it looked like a load of shite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You could argue any of that for any mafia style game tbh. It’s a strategy for mafia players to instigate witch hunts etc so they can win the game. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

You could argue any of that for any mafia style game tbh. It’s a strategy for mafia players to instigate witch hunts etc so they can win the game. 

There's a difference between a group of people playing a game for the enjoyment of playing the game, and a TV show with large cash prizes being filmed and broadcast for entertainment.

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a difference between a group of people playing a game for the enjoyment of playing the game, and a TV show with large cash prizes being filmed and broadcast for entertainment.

Maybe, if it was the first season.  But everyone who applied you’d presume saw it last year and they know how it works. 

it’s a bit like saying it’s not fair to put pressure on people on something like WWTBAM where they can go from 500k to 32k in one wrong answer 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Maybe, if it was the first season.  But everyone who applied you’d presume saw it last year and they know how it works. 

it’s a bit like saying it’s not fair to put pressure on people on something like WWTBAM where they can go from 500k to 32k in one wrong answer 

Not really.

The issue I have is the show basically promotes the worst of human behaviour to get a reward.

WWTBAM is just a quiz show. You take part knowing that eventually your general knowledge could cost you a lot of money. The show doesn't, for example, say a strategy to win is to lie or **** over the other contestants or whip up a mob rule scenario to get rid of your rivals.

Nah, **** that shit.

• Like 1

I am enjoying The Traitors. It's my sort of thing in all fairness, I liked the first series and so far the second one is hitting the spot. 

30 minutes ago, Jon said:

What does 'mafia style game' mean? 

There's a kind of party game called Mafia, or sometimes Werewolves (which is what I first knew it as). In the game you have a group of people who are assigned to 1 of 2 teams - either one of a large group of villagers or a much smaller group of werewolves, and there's also a separate moderator. The werewolves know who each other is, the villagers do not who is a werewolf. The game then works on a day and night phase, each night the werewolves kill a villager (all players are instructed to close their eyes except wolves, who silently look and agree on a victim), during the day the villagers are informed who died and must work out who is a werewolf and who isn't, so you have discussion and debate and argument over who is and isn't suspicious etc etc. The villagers can then hold a vote to eliminate suspicious people, if the majority agrees. The game is over when either all the werewolves are gone or the werewolves have eliminated enough villagers.

This is basically the format that the Traitors uses, to my understanding, with the usual TV drama and gameshow wrappings pasted over it. It's just it's a different thing when you go from party game for posh clearings in the woods and students to big money prime time TV gameshow, where it goes from a 'fun' game to waste a couple of hours, to a thing that actively promotes being a devious word removed without morals to win big money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mr Bates v The post office is good but so so hard to watch. Mrs GV and I have to watch bits of it at a time as we find it a bit too distressing to watch a whole episode in one go. 

Watched 2 of the 3 episodes of the Australian drama Vanishing Act on ITVX. Its based on the true story of Melissa Caddick. On the whole its been entertaining. The production values are very Australian, but not awful. One scene was supposedly in a UK house, and it clearly isnt as no UK house internally or externally would look like that. That aside I will finish the last episode tonight and it has killed a bit of time.

I was looking for something to watch and paused on The Long Shadow, I said to my wife I dont fancy it as it is 7 episodes long. She pointed out that I watch on constant rotation Seinfeld with 20 plus episodes a season, but I prefer dramas to be 4 episodes long. She has a point. Thats just preference though and not a hard and fast rule. Fittingly Men Up is the next thing on my watch list.

very, very late to the game, but my mate told me about it a few weeks ago (he was late to it as well)

Just caught up with the sitcom Still Game

Can't believe it ran from 2002 to 2019 and i didn't see it

Binge watching it on catch up, currently on series 4

If none have you have seen it, it's very funny

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Anyone watching Deadloch? On Prime and the high seas. Some excellent swearing. Also very funny.

Yeah saw that a while back.  Really good.  Proper rum aussie mystery/ cop/ comedy

11 hours ago, Anthony said:

Anyone watching Deadloch? On Prime and the high seas. Some excellent swearing. Also very funny.

Ive been enjoying quite a lot of sweary Aussie shows lately - Class of '07, Colin from Accounts and Mr Inbetween

Â