Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KPB would be a good replacement for sidwell

I think that if we were to switch to a 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 then KPB could definatly become a first team player.

If we lost Milner but gained Ireland then we'd have central midfield options of Stan, NRC, Sidwell, Delph, Ireland. We can all see that NRC & Sidwell seem to be on their way out aswell.

Having Stan, Delph, Ireland & KPB would be decent to rotate.

I would take KP Boateng straight away. Every time ive watched him hes been outstanding

And me, thought he was excellent in the World Cup and looked good even in a very poor Pompey side last season.

He's only 23 too so the £5-6m that Portsmouth are quoting is a no brainer for me.

It actually is coming to the point that I'm not even going to bother with transfers or looking around until someone tells me "this has happened". Actually **** sick of getting up every morning with no new links - its as if there is no progress at all. I know we will sign, but it is very frustrating being the ONLY team in the PL yet to actually spend cash on someone. This is coming from a team that is hoping to build on last year and go for 4th spot again. It really is laughable.

But as some have already pointed out this only club not to sign someone is reallg a pointless stat, stoke have signed a kid from pompey, spuds a SA who will need time and a few others have bought kids and bench warmers, whilst also losing big players

Im convinced what we have will be enough for west ham and hopefully europe, barcodes 1st home game could go either way even with new signings imo so dont see why we need to rush

It is a pointless stat is right, but as I said we are looking to build from last year. We should have had ideas mapped out since the end of last year on where we can improve - players to go for. Leaving it until the last minute always creates the possibility of that player going somewhere else and then plans have to be revised. It is madness in that sense.

Leaving it until the last minute always creates the possibility of that player going somewhere else and then plans have to be revised. It is madness in that sense.

Surely if our transfer targets are based on filling certain positions then we would have the foresight (and downright common sense) to shortlist more than one preferred player? Such revision would (and should) be unnecessary. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't look at recruiting for a position without a plan B, C, D (and no wise-cracks about MON's unfamiliarity with plans beyond the letter A please :D) etc.

How far down the Plan A, B, C, D route do you go before your buying players no better than we have already?

Is there some kind of battle between Randy & MON. Randy wont let MON sign other players until we have moved a few out?

If our 3 main targets are Keane, McGeady & Ireland I will say right now I will be seriously unimpressed.

How far down the Plan A, B, C, D route do you go before your buying players no better than we have already?

Is there some kind of battle between Randy & MON. Randy wont let MON sign other players until we have moved a few out?

If our 3 main targets are Keane, McGeady & Ireland I will say right now I will be seriously unimpressed.

If we signed Keane, Ireland and McGeady and managed to keep Milner then I would be very happy.

Media dont need to speculate if Villa are interested in abroad players....MON wont buy abroad. He stick to Kicknrun Hoofers and buy british. Safe/Boring/Safe/Boring/Safe...Boring.

Some of the players he has bought has been pretty damn good..I agree...but some of the others has been...flattering to call deadwood.

Media dont need to speculate if Villa are interested in abroad players....MON wont buy abroad. He stick to Kicknrun Hoofers and buy british. Safe/Boring/Safe/Boring/Safe...Boring.

Some of the players he has bought has been pretty damn good..I agree...but some of the others has been...flattering to call deadwood.

Yes, lets by abroad so we can have Hujanikabolokof upfront, just so we can have a name. Like the Djemba-Djemba's, the Berson's and the Balaban's.

Or we can have Kicknrush players like Young, Milner, Delph and others.

My suspicion is that Randy has some serious doubts about Martins ability in the transfer market....actions speak louder than words.

Randy is not broke by any means but will not keep funding players high wages to be consistent bench warmers.

His message seems clear to me play them or sell them.

If Martin was a well oiled wheeler dealer he would be walking around with Randy's cheque book sticking out of his back pocket, of that I'm sure.

we have many players we have and will lose large sums on, so i guess there has to come a time to cull.

My suspicion is that Randy has some serious doubts about Martins ability in the transfer market....actions speak louder than words.

Randy is not broke by any means but will not keep funding players high wages to be consistent bench warmers.

If Martin was a well oiled wheeler dealer he would be walking around with Randy's cheque book sticking out of his back pocket, of that I'm sure.

we have many players we have and will lose large sums on, so i guess there has to come a time to cull.

My suspicion is that money seems to be very tight for most clubds this season, and not much is really going on at all. I also suspect that many teams are on a sell to buy policy since Ol' 'Arry hinted at that is what he has to deal with as well.

Maybe the new UEFA rules on finance are starting to kick in early for some clubs, if you look at Villa's balance sheet for the last financial year it does not make a pretty picture in terms of sustainability.

- Clubs must break even over a rolling three year period if they want to be involved in the Champions league or Europa league. Our wages to turnover ratio for the last financial year was 85%, with a loss of £46 million. If we want to be in Europe then we must get this in line, maybe other clubs are doing the same to comply with these rules.

UEFA Finance Rules

It is understood that clubs must not return losses of more then €45m (£38m) for the 2012-15 period. After 2015 clubs are given a leeway of €30m (£26m) for three-year losses after which the figure will be reduced still further.

Clubs that breach the rules will not be granted a Uefa club licence to take part in Europe.

As this is the case and with the current situation with our wages then do we really have a choice but to trim the wage bill and increase income streams by the likes of the FX Pro and Fiat deals which have just been announced, in simple terms to fund future transfer activity and wages the club needs to stand on its own two feet by making more money than it loses, this can come in many forms, sponsors, increased ticket prices, corporate match day revenue, increased ground capacity, TV money etc.

Aston Villa under the new UEFA rules would not be eligible to participate in Europe, is it any wonder why we have a sell to buy policy?

Sorry TRO, Can't agree with the first couple of paragraphs of the post. There is a wonderful Anglo-Saxon word that should be used to describe my response to them ..... bollocks .

If Randy had serious doubts about MON they would have parted company by now. Over the last twelve months MON appears to have listened to Randy's perspective of the financial situation for Aston Villa and has responded appropriately and professionally.

You only have to look at how Randy handles the Cleveland Browns to know that he allows his Coaches/Managers free reign to manage the footballing side of the business while he attends to the all important financing of the franchise. He is a savvy businessman and knows what the respective clubs have to accomplish in financial terms to remain viable over the next few years.

MON from the day he started with AVFC in 2006 has stated that he is cognisant that he must not spend the owners money unwisely and in my view has invested money prudently on Randy's behalf.

It cannot have escaped anyone's attention in the business world that we are going through a period of tight financial times and I am pleased that the management team at B6 are not throwing money about like Manchester City.

Even if Randy was as wealthy as Sheik Mansour or the Sultan of Brunei for that matter, it still wouldn't make sense in this economic climate to throw money around as if it came from an endless fountain of bounty. It doesn't.

FIFA, UEFA and other footballing authorities around the World are going to be changing the rules concerning clubs that continually operate with massive losses in the next few years. Clubs that show continual losses may find themselves suspended from some major tournaments such as the Champion's League. Others may be levied even worse sanctions.

I am pleased that Aston Villa is taking a responsible course of action at this stage. Prudence now is the best insurance for our club's survival and a prosperous future, let alone a Bright one.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that MON and Randy have lost any respect for each other. If I am wrong, I will happily eat my words.

I think Lerner has missed on the revenue side.

When he took over the club, he saw great opportunities, buying the biggest club in Englands city no. 2. But financial crisis and some other factors (young people being fan of Sky 4 clubs) has made average gate lower than what could be expected 4 years ago. The same goes for ticket prices.

It's no crisis, but I think it will take a bit more time than expected to reach revenues at 110-120 mill.

I'm guessing that the "A, B, C, D" options wouldn't decrease drastically in ability. There are lots of footballers out there; I'm sure there are players who would improve us for varying amounts of money (and availability).