Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Most certainly not a sh*te fan. Just a Villa fan who thinks we've got a damn good squad if we actually started using more than 11 players, and a fan who believes that our young players are our future. That future will be impeded by bringing in experienced average players.

I have nothing against signing players like Ozil or Muller because we haven't got players presently of that calibre, but lesser players will only block the development of an exciting Villa team imo.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice having academy lads come through but none of them will push us forward because none of them have the 'something else' that we need.

Unless you are content with counter-attacking wing play, we need a bit of magic.

I've seen them play a lot in the youth and reserves, and collectively they play much better football than we pay a fortune to watch at VP on matchdays. They don't have the experience but they do have the ability.

Glad to hear you're not a S*it fan :-)

I'm sorry, I don't agree on that our squad are anything near being damn good,beyond the first 11 our squad is come Ci come Ca. and needs improvement for us to improve this season.

We'll agree to differ then, but I would love to see a fully motivated squad who knew that they were all in with a chance of playing in the next match. :thumb:

Glad to hear you're not a S*it fan :-)

I'm sorry, I don't agree on that our squad are anything near being damn good,beyond the first 11 our squad is come Ci come Ca. and needs improvement for us to improve this season.

We'll agree to differ then, but I would love to see a fully motivated squad who knew that they were all in with a chance of playing in the next match. :thumb:

Right,but it sometimes takes a lot more than being motivated,if the quality is not good enough,then it don't help much no matter how motivated you are.

but let's see what happens :)

That is because at youth/reserve level they have more time and space to produce something. It isn't a worthwhile comparison to make IMO.
They have a different coach and a different system and they play some bloody good football with excellent technique (if you only watch first team football you'll have to look up the word technique in a dictionary). It's only when they get into the first team that they realise that they've got to stop passing the ball to each other on the floor through the middle of the pitch, and then have to adapt to playing down the narrow strip of touchline at either side of the pitch or thump it up in the air and leave it to the big man.

I do watch the reserves aswell, and yes they can play better football. But they can get away with it because a.)the pressure isn't on to succeed and b.) as a result there is more time and space.

It is not a marker for how well a player could cope with the first XI.

You don't "get away with better football" you impose it on the opposition. I think we have the players to play "better football" at Villa, but Mons archaic "Leicester era football" denies our players the opportunity to entertain and impose their ability on other teams.

I have to say after largely reading this thread that I'm coming around to the idea of keeping things as is and just integrating Albrighton, Delfouneso and eventually Delph when fit. Risky I know but with all due respect to McGeady, would rather blood Albrighton than pay £8-10mil on someone who could just as easily flop at the level.

Ideally I think we all wanted O'Neill to spend a fair few million on a top striker, but if that isn't going to happen lets try Delfouneso, who is fairly universally rated amongst Villa people, as talented.

I think the thing we have going for us is that we look nailed on for top 8, the gulf between us and say Blues, Blackburn et al, is quite large.

MON really has spunked money up the wall.
on **** Heskey.Randy is dead right to have a sell to buy,i didnt know this..

these deadwood players are costing us a fortune and holding us back

Absolutely correct!

And who signed them?

Absolutely correct!

And who signed them?

For God sake. Name a club in the world that doesnt have dead wood that has some form of negative effect on the team.

Absolutely correct!

And who signed them?

For God sake. Name a club in the world that doesnt have dead wood that has some form of negative effect on the team.

Did I say that deadwood is not at any other club? I am talking about Villa and the club could do much better to change the squad. Villas biggest problems is the wage structure where we obviously are paying over the odds for quite mediocre players.

Absolutely correct!

And who signed them?

if we keep l.young coker davies and milner then we would only need 2-3 players of quality

Absolutely correct!

And who signed them?

Did I say that deadwood is not at any other club? I am talking about Villa and the club could do much better to change the squad. Villas biggest problems is the wage structure where we obviously are paying over the odds for quite mediocre players.

Yes but were also paying under the odds for our top players. Going into the world of football here -

As much as Habib Beye is not worth £40,000 to villa each week

Dunne, Ash, Gabby, Milner, Carew etc are all worth more than we pay them. (In terms of footbnall wages anyway). None of them are worth more than i get tbh.

Ppl bang on about the wages we pay our fringe players, but there not that much different to the wages of our star players which should even it out imo. Especially if our owners say were going for a top 4 spot.

I mean realistically, whats the lowest amount of money your average experienced prem player will get paid. 25gs a week maybe?

I have to say after largely reading this thread that I'm coming around to the idea of keeping things as is and just integrating Albrighton, Delfouneso and eventually Delph when fit. Risky I know but with all due respect to McGeady, would rather blood Albrighton than pay £8-10mil on someone who could just as easily flop at the level.

Ideally I think we all wanted O'Neill to spend a fair few million on a top striker, but if that isn't going to happen lets try Delfouneso, who is fairly universally rated amongst Villa people, as talented.

I think the thing we have going for us is that we look nailed on for top 8, the gulf between us and say Blues, Blackburn et al, is quite large.

I sort of agree but I think we're just a couple of players away from stepping up to the next level, I really do, and to this is the best chance we've got of doing that, or be confined for being 'top 8' for decades to come.

I know he's well loved on here but Albrighton is not the messiah people are making him out to be, he's a good little player undoubtedly but I'm yet to see him play against real opposition and play well. Delfouneso will only score goals for us if he get's the service and that's really where the problem lies. If we begin this season with Sidwell anywhere near the first 11 then we will have a very tricky season. However if we can lose him, NRC and Heskey, replacing them with a central midfielder like Ireland and a confident, pacey winger like Bellamy or possibly McGeady then we have a chance of actually changing how we play a bit and this will make all the difference. We have a very good defence, if it has a decent midfield breaking up play in front of it and in Carew and Gabby we have two forwards who are capable of scoring against any team but only if they don't have to come to deep.

It sounds simple but I'm convinced that we're very close to being an excellent team and this is not the time to consolidate and start playing the youngsters, if they truly are good enough then they'll force their way in but at the moment we're in the tragic position that MON turns to Sidwell and Heskey to turn a match around and that is the difference. I'd like to see a significantly improved first 11, with midfield being the absolute priority, and then Albrighton, Delfounseo and Delph being regularly used from the bench.

I wouldn't describe our squad players as deadwood. They are squad players (overpaid I agree) but they are there as backup to our first team. They come in and do a job and if we replace them they will be replaced by players of similar quality because many players are not happy just to come along and warm a bench.

Unless of course MON decides that he wants to make more use of our younger players to booster the squad so then maybe the money raised will actually be spent on first teamers (players who will improve us)

I wouldn't describe our squad players as deadwood. They are squad players (overpaid I agree) but they are there as backup to our first team. They come in and do a job and if we replace them they will be replaced by players of similar quality because many players are not happy just to come along and warm a bench.

Unless of course MON decides that he wants to make more use of our younger players to booster the squad so then maybe the money raised will actually be spent on first teamers (players who will improve us)

The big problems I see with our squad is that if we lose two keyplayers we will struggle heavily because the quality gap between the first eleven and the rest is quite large. That is the declaration of a weak squad...and we do have a weak overpaid squad.

We also have a quite good first eleven, but we could improve on many areas still nothing happens?

Have MON paid our deadwood so much money that the only way to get rid of them is that their contracts runs out? If our squad players lift a high wage they arent interesting for their level of club and therefore we are stuck with them...

I wonder what's happening with Kevin-Prince Boateng. He performed well at the WC and was also rated as one of Pompey's best players last year. I'd like to see him at VP and I reckon we could get him for pretty cheap. He's only 23 so still has room to improve.

The last bit of news I can find about him was on 26th July when his agent revealed that talks with Genoa had stalled.

I reckon that his agent has been informed that a deal could happen but it'll be near the end of the window. I can't see him staying with Pompey.