Jez

Did he have an injury or something? He isn't old for a goalkeeper, although he's been around forever.

He stood behind some of the greatest players in the world and eventually got found out. Took them long enough.

He was a good goalie to be fair, just never world class but I haven't seen a rapid decline in his abilities, he has always been a bomb scare.

Looks good on the youtubes though and his trophy cabinet is second to none.

• Like 1

Did he have an injury or something? He isn't old for a goalkeeper, although he's been around forever.

He stood behind some of the greatest players in the world and eventually got found out. Took them long enough.

He was a good goalie to be fair, just never world class but I haven't seen a rapid decline in his abilities, he has always been a bomb scare.

Eh?! He was easily one of the best for a long time but his level has certainly dropped. A move could revitalise him, he has another 5 years in him.

The long contract for Rodwell I get, similar to what we had to do with Given it will be the only way they could get anywhere close to the wages he was on at City.

The £10m fee though I agree is crazy and a huge risk by Sunderland, I bet City are pleased as punch with this deal

Mental if Sunderland get Eto'o, surely taking a serious wage cut if he goes there. Shame seeing such names being linked to the teams around us I have to say, also a shame seeing Sunderland being able to pay £10m for Rodwell as if it were nothing.

Sunderland's best signing this summer by far has been Pantilimon....and I'd argue he wasn't needed as Mannone was excellent for them last season.

They'll be down there with us for sure, who's scoring for them for a start this season?

Mental if Sunderland get Eto'o, surely taking a serious wage cut if he goes there. Shame seeing such names being linked to the teams around us I have to say, also a shame seeing Sunderland being able to pay £10m for Rodwell as if it were nothing.

10 is the new 5.we are paupers.

10 is the new 5.we are paupers.

It seems 5 is the new 10 for us. We spent £10m of Steve Stone and Alan Thompson back in 98 / 99!

He was a good goalie to be fair, just never world class but I haven't seen a rapid decline in his abilities, he has always been a bomb scare.

Eh?! He was easily one of the best for a long time but his level has certainly dropped. A move could revitalise him, he has another 5 years in him.

What happened is he stopped playing week in week out. Tough on a keeper to get thrown in to a World Cup team when only featured in cup games all season. Although they did win the Champions League and Domestic Cup to be fair to him.

He only made 16 appearances for Man City in 2 years and they still get £10m for him.

Some of the top clubs are great at reclaiming fees for surplus players.

I think they will be looking at what Chelsea have done recently and double down on buying up all the top prospects in Europe, loaning them out and then selling them on for a profit. When a few clubs can effectively control the market then they will seek to exploit it, especially now they need to generate more revenue to satisfy FFP.