Jez

£25m on Lukaku, the world has gone mad.

He's a class act, but it is mental.  In Lukaku, De Bruyne and Luiz, Chelsea have basically doubled their money on three players they didn't even want.  How the other half live eh? 

£25m on Lukaku, the world has gone mad.

He's a class act, but it is mental. In Lukaku, De Bruyne and Luiz, Chelsea have basically doubled their money on three players they didn't even want. How the other half live eh?

This post shows how much we have missed the boat with FFP. I could expand but you all know what I mean.

Btw you missed out Mata.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

£25,000,000. But Everton have no money and have always scrimped and scraped, of course.

Everton supporter with a strong affection for Villa here in peace.

Let me just share that the last time Everton received funds that weren't loans, prize/TV money, gate receipts or otherwise commercially earned by the club was from our previous owner, a certain Peter Johnson, in the year of 1996. Most of these funds were paid back a year later.

Everton have made a profit and substantially reduced debt in the 12/13 season, which combined with Europa League football, prize- and TV money and an overall very improved commercial performance finally have given us room to buy (and pay) a player like Lukaku. I'm guessing our net transfer and salary spend over the last 10 seasons will be one of the lowest in the PL for teams who played 10 seasons.

A lot of this is down to having Moyes and Martinez as managers - the board hasn't coughed up a penny, and the commercial running of the club has only recently improved from amateurish to acceptable.

Let me add that from the ca. 10 message boards that I read frequently, on avarage the discussions and the knowledge on this board is the best.

Thanks, and all the best for 14/15 to Villa and all Villans

/Andy

I'm not saying it is a bad thing at all, in fact your club is ran tremendously well. My point is more aimed towards the media, who often make an apparent point of Everton having no money or being a 'poor' club.

I didn't read it that way either, btw.

I've just read a number of times on many different forums that Everton are splashing the cash ("Fellaini bought for 15m" - etc.), and while it's nice to see good players coming in at decent fees it's just as frustrating to see your best players sold - as I'm sure you will agree - which is often ignored when discussing the subject of EFC finances.

We've also kept a fairly modest pay-roll, so the main problem has been developing the commercial side of things.

What Arsenal and Man.Utd are doing to run such a sustainable business whilst City, our younger brothers and Chelsea are on financial EPO should really be admired and is what we should aspire to do on a smaller scale. To do this we really need a new stadium, but the current owners can't support the investment and leave the footballing side of the club to support itself.

Unless we get investment or a new stadium (which requires investment as well) the best we can hope for is to be where we are right now - just below the top of the crop. After 12 bleak years from 1990-2002 with a couple of relegation-scares most people seem happy about the current situation (I'm certainly not complaining), but knowing that things most likely will get worse, not better, over time is a depressing outlook. In many respects I think Villa is in a much better position to get into the big time again, even if you are currently in dire straits.

If Everton get a new stadium then what kind of gates would you expect?   I know history has proven that a move to a new stadium virtually guarantees an increase in average attendance but it's taken Arsenal the best part of a decade to recover from building their new stadium and that was with almost 25,000 extra bums on seats with the most expensive ticket prices in the league paying the bills.  The return on investment for Everton would take much longer, wouldn't it? 

Look at Arsenal now though. I think they'll make an actual run at the title this season myself and with that stadium and location, they're set for the next several decades to come. Still, in that time they maintained a level of decency, I don't think the time they spent trophy less was warranted really. They had squads capable. They reached the CL final in that time too right? I admire the long term plan, if only we had such nous.

Clearly Everton won't have that experience, but they are a club who seem pretty adept at making the best of things. Besides which, they won't get a new stadium with the current lot in place, so the point is kind moot at this stage.

• Like 1

If Everton get a new stadium then what kind of gates would you expect?   I know history has proven that a move to a new stadium virtually guarantees an increase in average attendance but it's taken Arsenal the best part of a decade to recover from building their new stadium and that was with almost 25,000 extra bums on seats with the most expensive ticket prices in the league paying the bills.  The return on investment for Everton would take much longer, wouldn't it? 

Everton pretty much sell out all the seats that are not 1) Restricted views 2) unsold away-section seats. These amounts to around 4.500 seats of a 40.200 capacity.

I think we could pull between 40-44k on average in a new stadium with a decent team on the pitch, so 10-20% increase at the gates. But the major improvement would be from corporate boxes (Goodison has 11 - Old Trafford something like 80...) and spend in the stadium. The newest stand (Park End) has a turnover of 29 pounds per seat on match days - the other 3 stands manages 11 pounds, so if you could get match day income up to the Park End level you would get: 18x27.000 pr. home game (revenue) in addition to whatever the higher attendance and corporate spending would bring.

I did a much more detailed calculation last time we were having a stadium discussion, and I think the conclusion was around 10-12m extra income net, before interest and depreciation/amortisation - with fairly conservative assumptions.

Edited by AndyGray1985

Is 28M mental for Romelu Lukaku? Nonsense.

He is just as good as Benteke and he is two years younger than our guy. Who's best is obviously up for discussion, but if there was a poll among fans of other clubs - I think even Lukaku would grab the prize.

Not a single person on here would say 28M would have been mental for Benteke, so why is it suddenly too much for Lukaku? He has 10 years left in his prime and he is yet to release his full potential. 70+ games in the Premier League already as well as 30+ games for Belgium. Worth every penny in my opinion - especially as he has all the re-sale value left in him in a few years when he possibly reach a much higher level. This is a player that can potentially play 200 games for Everton and score roughly 100 goals the next 10 years. If not, they will sell him on for 35M - 40M in two years if he continues to develop and reach a certain level.

• Like 1

Is 28M mental for Romelu Lukaku? Nonsense.

He is just as good as Benteke and he is two years younger than our guy. Who's best is obviously up for discussion, but if there was a poll among fans of other clubs - I think even Lukaku would grab the prize.

Not a single person on here would say 28M would have been mental for Benteke, so why is it suddenly too much for Lukaku? He has 10 years left in his prime and he is yet to release his full potential. 70+ games in the Premier League already as well as 30+ games for Belgium. Worth every penny in my opinion - especially as he has all the re-sale value left in him in a few years when he possibly reach a much higher level. This is a player that can potentially play 200 games for Everton and score roughly 100 goals the next 10 years. If not, they will sell him on for 35M - 40M in two years if he continues to develop and reach a certain level.

I don't think your average football fan would understand that benteke and Lukaku are chalk and cheese, both big, strong, Belgian (and in the least racist way possible) strapping black blokes, and that's where the similarities end, basically Lukaku has to play facing the goal, benteke does all his best work back to goal, benteke does things Lukaku simply can't, his touch is miles ahead, his ability to hold the ball up and bring others in to play is miles ahead, his touch (whoch is lukakus main weakness IMO) is miles ahead, but Lukaku is a more natural finisher, his movement is better, he's like a brick shit house Michael Owen in my mind

The thing is where they are now, I thin benteke is 90% there, and the only way he's getting better is by joking a CL club (:( ) Lukaku is about 75% there, need more coaching, but he's younger and that's understandable, Martinez will make him a great player, where they are right now, benteke is better, 5 years time, who knows but I think Lukaku will catch him

But i struggle with the who is better argument, surprisingly different players

Edited by villa4europe

End of the day Lukaku scores goals regularly at premier league level and I'd imagine will continue to do so so on that basis I'd say a good deal for Everton compared to other strikers they could've realistically signed particularly as Lukaku already knows and can fit into their style of play.

As daft as it sounds, how does a new £500m stadium sit within the prem / UEFA FFP rules? Kenwright wanting to sell Everton and this stadium moves must be one of the biggest myths In football

Im pretty sure that spending on facilities doesn't come into it in regards to FFP.

I think he is actually a pretty decent player but he is past his best. Been pretty poor lately for the national team and he certainly let down Fulham a couple of times last season. Good professional attitude as well.

I think he is actually a pretty decent player but he is past his best. Been pretty poor lately for the national team and he certainly let down Fulham a couple of times last season. Good professional attitude as well.

I'm sure our current backline will make their fair share of **** ups this season. He aint great, but I'd consider him worth a place in the squad/first 11.

As mentioned about though, I can understand if he wanted to stay local.